Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
CDS
Human being with feelings

Default New computer was disappointing at first.

Windows 7 worked at first then it no longer would boot the following day, so now I'm stuck with the operating system it came with, windows 10 enterprise.

Last edited by CDS; 10-22-2018 at 04:57 AM.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
mschnell

Unfortunately nowadays the support for Windows 7 gets more and more limited. So you will need to find instructions to tweak W10 to be as well-behaved as possible. There are lot's of them in the Internet.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:26 AM   #3
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Unfortunately nowadays the support for Windows 7 gets more and more limited. So you will need to find instructions to tweak W10 to be as well-behaved as possible. There are lot's of them in the Internet.

-Michael
Maybe windows 10 64 bit isn't so bad but the win 10 32 bit home was absolutely horrible.
But the menu system is terrible, how can a person create a win 7 like menu in win 10.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:44 AM   #4
ernzo

Go back to 7, reinstall it.

http://www.classicshell.net/

RocketDock: https://punklabs.com/
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #5
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS View Post
Maybe windows 10 64 bit isn't so bad but the win 10 32 bit home was absolutely horrible.
But the menu system is terrible, how can a person create a win 7 like menu in win 10.
I have one computer on 64bit Win10 Pro and some others on Win10 Home Premium. All are 64bit version, but the menus etc are pretty much the same between the 2 versions.

Have also worked on other peoples Win10 Home Premium 32bit systems & see little or no difference.

As to creating a Win7 like menu system, the current version of Win10 is easily configurable to look like a cross between Win7 and OSX on a mac, which is how I have mine.

Left- Click on the windows button (bottom left) and you get an alphabetised list of all the applicaztions oyu have installed on your computer & you can remove any ytou dont want from that list by right clicking on the application & choosing remove from list.
Right click on on the windows icon and you get a black & white list of everything you used to get in Win7, plus Power options (shutdown, sleep, restart, etc)

If you can`t work with that, you are of course welcome to go back to Win7 but I dont know anyone who genuinely struggles with win10 once the above sinks in.

All those ugly big squares to the right of the Win7 style stuff you cvan easily remove by right clicking on each one you want to dump and choose "remove". MS have obviously decided to copy reaper.."Right click everything"
Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 AM   #6
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I have one computer on 64bit Win10 Pro and some others on Win10 Home Premium. All are 64bit version, but the menus etc are pretty much the same between the 2 versions.

Have also worked on other peoples Win10 Home Premium 32bit systems & see little or no difference.

As to creating a Win7 like menu system, the current version of Win10 is easily configurable to look like a cross between Win7 and OSX on a mac, which is how I have mine.

Left- Click on the windows button (bottom left) and you get an alphabetised list of all the applicaztions oyu have installed on your computer & you can remove any ytou dont want from that list by right clicking on the application & choosing remove from list.
Right click on on the windows icon and you get a black & white list of everything you used to get in Win7, plus Power options (shutdown, sleep, restart, etc)

If you can`t work with that, you are of course welcome to go back to Win7 but I dont know anyone who genuinely struggles with win10 once the above sinks in.

All those ugly big squares to the right of the Win7 style stuff you cvan easily remove by right clicking on each one you want to dump and choose "remove". MS have obviously decided to copy reaper.."Right click everything"
My current computer has never had win7 on it, if you try to use the win 7 disk it halts and declares an error, so I just decided to use the win 10 it came with.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:21 AM   #7
drumphil

To get a windows 7 start menu, use classic shell.

I know ernzo posted the link, but he didn't make it clear that it was a link to a program that will give you the start menu you want.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
To get a windows 7 start menu, use classic shell.

I know ernzo posted the link, but he didn't make it clear that it was a link to a program that will give you the start menu you want.
Thanks for the response but I have 10 working, I will leave well enough alone.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:47 AM   #9
ivansc

wise man. The learning curve is pretty shallow, frankly.

Good luck!