Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
valley
Human being with feelings

Default Mackie C4 support?

Update 2:

The compile of Geoff's csurf is done, and is now part of Geoff's distribution. Go grab it if you need it.

Update:

While I work on my own stuff, I've compiled Geoff Waddington's MCU and C4 combo plug (see thread here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=87265 )

Currently testing the compile, so let me know if you want a copy.

Original:

Is there support within Reaper, or through 3rd party extensions, for the Mackie C4 device? Preferably a programmable implementation, as the C4 is kind of a pain in floating parameter mode.

I saw a few people have done MCU plugins for the PC. I'm not sure how these differ from the internal ones (or why there is more than one of them), but they appear to still be under development, so I guess they improve on the somewhat basic default implementation. Given that 3rd party support is possible, I could probably roll my own module if I have to, but I'd really rather not[1].

(related, do the MCU pots do anything other than pan with the standard MCU support?)

[1] I have working MCU input code knocking around so the main headache is learning whatever Reaper offers by way of an SDK/plugin model.

Last edited by valley; 10-05-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: wine.
valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
valley

I guess that's a no then.

Are any Mac Reaper users here also using an MCU or C4? Since I need to write my own C4 plugin, I'd be willing to put a little extra time in and build a more flexible MCU/MCU-X/C4 suite, otherwise I'm writing exactly what I need, which will be useless for anybody else.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
camerondye

Find a thread with Klinke in it or PM him, he is the Mackie MCU expert in these parts.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Snap

I badly miss my MCU when I'm on the Mac. Klinke's plugin works gorgeous when I'm on win, but there was never a lot of interest from Mac users so a Mac version was never ported. A real shame.

I wonder what is needed to turn that win dll file into a mac dylib. I'm totally noob at this. Wish I knew how to do it.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
Snap

Just talking from ignorance.... maybe you can have a look at the reaper_csurf files in mac and win and also the drivers from Behringer (and further user mods) for the BCF and BCR2000 controllers.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
I badly miss my MCU when I'm on the Mac.
You know that there is native MCU/MCUx support in Reaper right? I have the MCU and one extender working fine on my Mac with no 3rd party plugins.

What I don't have is C4 controller support. Also, as far as I can tell, the default MCU configuration is a bit limited.

Quote:
I wonder what is needed to turn that win dll file into a mac dylib.
Not much, but I looked at Klinke's stuff and it has two limitations. One there is no C4 support (which is not a problem for me because I've written C4 interface code before), and two, there is no support for extenders.

I did find another csurf plug by Geoff Waddington that supports both C4 and MCU/MCUx. However, that plug is heavily Windows code, and not as configurable as I would like, so I think I'm going to roll my own.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Snap

Yeah, that's it. The native support makes me nervous compared with the Klinke's functionality in Windows. It's very annoying instinctively going for some functions that are missing, so I better switch it off and forget about it.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Snap

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder what is needed to turn that win dll file into a mac dylib.
Not much

Not much
What you mean with not much? Maybe i'll regret asking about this.... I think I'll try to have a look and tamper those files. I guess I will get nothing but I want to try anyway besides I'm completely blank about code.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
valley

Quote:
Yeah, that's it. The native support makes me nervous compared with the Klinke's functionality in Windows. It's very annoying instinctively going for some functions that are missing, so I better switch it off and forget about it.
I can see that.

Quote:
What you mean with not much? Maybe i'll regret asking about this.... I think I'll try to have a look and tamper those files. I guess I will get nothing but I want to try anyway besides I'm completely blank about code.
I should be more careful with my wording. It should be pretty easy to do, but if you've never worked with C++ or XCode before, you could easily spend a week or more trying, where a programmer familiar with XCode would likely have it all working in a hour or two.

If you want to try, I'll be willing to help. If I get some free time, I might give it a go myself, but understand that the Klinke plugin is of little use to me as-is, so I'd rather be using my time to develop a whole new csurf plugin that suits my needs. (Unless of course it seems like I could easily extend the Klinke csurf to support the MCUx and C4).
Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
yagonnawantthatcowbell

I've been very vocal here about getting better support for my MCU on OSX. I don't use an extender or C4. I've been making due with the limited MCU functionally by just using the assignable buttons for custom actions and one of these nanoKontrols for controlling plugins.

yagonnawantthatcowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
valley

Just for the record, I've successfully compiled the Wadd MCU plugin on OSX.

I might work off of this one to do my own support. If anyone wants the compiled lib, let me know.

I'm going to start work on my own variant now I know what's needed to get the compile working. I might try and do a user configurable set-up that'll be cross platform. I'll see how ambitious I'm feeling, and how much interest there is.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
yagonnawantthatcowbell

This is GREAT!! Very interested in the lib. Also, I'm formally expressing my interest in what you propose regarding a user configurable cross platform plugin. I'll see what I can do to rally the troops so you can gauge interest.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
semiquaver

*I* would like the compiled lib pleeze ! do you maybe want to throw it in the stash?

-> thanks in advance !!!!! <-
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
valley

Hi, if you both want to go ahead and PM me your emails, I'll send you the lib directly.

I'd rather not place it in the stash until I know the compile is good, and since it's Geoff(?) Waddington's base code, I'd probably just pass it over to him to include with his distribution if he so wishes.

FYI: due to my MacBook being a new Mountain Lion install, I can't compile against 10.6 or older. I've set the min supported platform at 10.5, but I can't test that. I can only really guarantee 10.7 and above, but 10.5/6 * should* work. The lib is 32/64 bit Intel. No PPC support sorry[1]

OT: Semiquaver? An (ex) Tracktioneer by any chance?

[1] Apple are real dicks about this kind of thing unfortunately.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
semiquaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley View Post

OT: Semiquaver? An (ex) Tracktioneer by any chance?
yep that's me.. nice to see you here ...
Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
valley

If anyone else is interested in enhanced OS X (with a possibility of Windows support) MCU / C4 support in Reaper, please feel free to chime in. What I'd be particularly interested in knowing is:

1) MCU / MCU Pro?

2) How many extenders do you have?

2a) If any, would you find use in being able to split them from the main MCU (I.E. not treat the devices as one monolithic sequence of tracks, but perhaps have an extender cover only specific buss tracks).

3) Do you have a C4

3a) If yes, is the C4 docked with your MCU or elsewhere.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
yep that's me.. nice to see you here ...
I suspect I'll spot more than a few names I recognize.

email on its way.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #18
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
If anyone else is interested in enhanced OS X (with a possibility of Windows support) MCU / C4 support in Reaper, please feel free to chime in. What I'd be particularly interested in knowing is:

1) MCU / MCU Pro?

2) How many extenders do you have?

2a) If any, would you find use in being able to split them from the main MCU (I.E. not treat the devices as one monolithic sequence of tracks, but perhaps have an extender cover only specific buss tracks).

3) Do you have a C4

3a) If yes, is the C4 docked with your MCU or elsewhere.
Just an MCU here. If I had extenders, I think it'd be nice to choose between splitting off the main MCU and also treating as a sequence of tracks. I can find use for both modes.

I don't have a C4, but with the ample support I'd ad it... gots to be better than my crudely labeled nanoknotrol

If I added a c4 it would most def be docked to my MCU.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #19
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
Is there support within Reaper, or through 3rd party extensions, for the Mackie C4 device? Preferably a programmable implementation, as the C4 is kind of a pain in floating parameter mode.

I saw a few people have done MCU plugins for the PC. I'm not sure how these differ from the internal ones (or why there is more than one of them), but they appear to still be under development, so I guess they improve on the somewhat basic default implementation. Given that 3rd party support is possible, I could probably roll my own module if I have to, but I'd really rather not[1].

(related, do the MCU pots do anything other than pan with the standard MCU support?)

[1] I have working MCU input code knocking around so the main headache is learning whatever Reaper offers by way of an SDK/plugin model.
Klinke's plug in is pretty bad-ass compared to the default mcu functionality. I used an early version of it just prior to my PC dying and me replacing it with a MAC. I've been very unhappy with reaper with out it. Klinke's plug-in allows control of plugins, including custom mapping to the mcu with parameter feedback, sends/recieves control, edit mode (the v-pots fly items left and right, etc), has a user configurable interface, etc... it's very good. It probably is missing some functionality as Klinke has maintained that he developed this plugin for his personal use and workflow and is sharing it with the community, but it is tailored to his workflow.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 AM   #20
Snap

Count me in!!!!

I only have an MCU. No C4 or extenders, but I'd love to add at least an extender and maybe a C4 in the future if they finally work as they should.

I'm on OS X 10.6.8. I'll be glad to test anything about compatibility here for you.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
TYEDURA

Please sir... develop a mac friendly program for Reaper. I just bought a M-Audio Project Mix I/O and cant use it to its full potential. This is very depressing seeing all these buttons and knobs and faders and not being able to utilize them the way they should!
TYEDURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Excuse my ignorance.... Just got a chance to check this.. Where do I put the dilyb?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
Snap

Right click on the Reaper app icon and choose show package contents. Check the plugins folder inside contents.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #24
valley

Alternately, and possibly a better approach in general is to place it in your user settings area.

Open Finder. Click the 'Go' menu option, and hold down the 'alt' key, which will add a 'Library' directory to the list of available destinations. Select the 'Library' directory, and navigate into the 'Application Support' directory, and from there, into 'Reaper'.

Inside the Reaper directory lies a bunch of paths for placing 3rd party stuff. Your dylib can be placed into the User Plugins folder.

(A restart of Reaper will probably needed regardless of where you place the plug).

Note: There may be a Reaper Action that automatically opens the Reaper settings directory, rather than drilling through Finder. I haven't spent but a few hours with Reaper yet, so I couldn't say.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #25
Snap

Yes, Options>Show Reaper resource path in finder
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #26
valley

Quote:
Yes, Options>Show Reaper resource path in finder
Good to know! Thanks Snap.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #27
yagonnawantthatcowbell

So, I've put it in user plugins folder in both locations stated above. Still not in my Control Surface drop-down menu.... What am I missing?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #28
semiquaver

no luck here either. Maybe won't work on 10.6.7 ?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #29
valley

<sigh>

This is why supporting Mac takes nearly as much of my work time as Windows and Linux combined.

When I compiled the plug I compiled against 10.7, which is the oldest XCode will do on ML. The deployment target was set to 10.5 which *should* but often doesn't instruct XCode to only utilize features or libraries that were present in 10.5.

Semiquaver, are you seeing the same thing as yagonna... ? I.E. is the plug simply not visible in the list of available surfaces?

If so, I'm guessing this is some kind of initialization failure. I.E. Reaper probably opens the plug, something goes wrong, so Reaper shuts it down again. Somewhere in Reaper or in the OSX logs there might be a report of what went wrong. If not this is going to be tough to diagnose without creating a Leopard dual-boot, which will be tricky as I don't have any FW of TB external drives. I'm also not even sure that'll work as Apple don't make older versions of XCode available unless you pay the $100 developer fee, so I'd probably be unable to get XCode installed in 10.5.

I'll take a look around for log files that might help, and I might try fiddling with a few linker settings to see if any make a difference. This'll involve a little bit of trial and error, with you guys trying to varying versions of the plug, if that's OK.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #30
Geoff Waddington

Well, one thing that MIGHT be causing this, not being able to locate C4FXParams.ini.

This file MUST be present and in the right location -- I have no clue where that is on a Mac.

See the first post in my thread for where Win 7 64 expects it and maybe that will enable you to deduce where it must go on the Mac.

I didn't bother with exception handling because it's not a commercial product and once you get it right things will be smooth from there on.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
Banned

Hi Valley, awesome to see you put some effort into this.

(I don't have any direct interest in using MCU gear, but I am interested in control surface protocols, and have been looking into conversion from/to OSC a bit as well.)

Anyhow, if you're stuck with compiling your code for some platform/architecture, perhaps I could try and help you with that, as my system is somewhat similar, with the major difference that I still have working versions of OS X 10.5, 10.6, and 10.7 installed on removable disks, including different versions of Xcode (at least one version of 3.x, and still have a bunch of installers for 3.x as well). I'm by no means an expert on development, but if all you need is compiling with a different version of Xcode, feel free to ask here or PM me, I'd be glad to help.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Well, one thing that MIGHT be causing this, not being able to locate C4FXParams.ini.

This file MUST be present and in the right location -- I have no clue where that is on a Mac.

See the first post in my thread for where Win 7 64 expects it and maybe that will enable you to deduce where it must go on the Mac.

I didn't bother with exception handling because it's not a commercial product and once you get it right things will be smooth from there on.
Hey Geoff, this is a good point, Semiquaver and yogonna[1] you have that file in the email I sent. Please try adding it to your Reaper space. I.E.:

Options>Show Reaper resource path in finder

Create a new directory C4FX, and place the ini file inside it.

That all said, I just tried removing that file from my config, and things still work OK (except the C4 never seems to initialize, which is to be expected).

[1] sorry, just too long to type in full
Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #33
valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Hi Valley, awesome to see you put some effort into this.

(I don't have any direct interest in using MCU gear, but I am interested in control surface protocols, and have been looking into conversion from/to OSC a bit as well.)

Anyhow, if you're stuck with compiling your code for some platform/architecture, perhaps I could try and help you with that, as my system is somewhat similar, with the major difference that I still have working versions of OS X 10.5, 10.6, and 10.7 installed on removable disks, including different versions of Xcode (at least one version of 3.x, and still have a bunch of installers for 3.x as well). I'm by no means an expert on development, but if all you need is compiling with a different version of Xcode, feel free to ask here or PM me, I'd be glad to help.
That's a generous offer, and I appreciate it!

Let me see how I get on after a trawl through the various compiler settings in XCode.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Geoff, I tried putting the c4 ini all over the place. Good suggestion, but no luck. I tried it in: Library/application support/reaper, Library/application support/reaper/user plugins, applications/reaper/package contents/contents.... no luck. Also tried creating the c4fx directory and placing the .ini there.

Valley, I'm more than happy to help test whatever you put out.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #35
valley

God in heaven I'm a muppet sometimes.

I'm going to guess that both you and semiquaver are using Reaper 32. I managed to send you a 64bit only build.

I've just emailed you both a new build that is a proper fat binary.

(for the curious: XCode supports prpject level configuration and target level. By default target settings don't inherit from the project. What I did was configured the project settings, then because it was late, forgot to also update the target settings. Thus a 64bit only build).
Old 09-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #36
semiquaver

thanks Valley - going to test this PM
Old 09-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #37
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Yes, 32bit version working here. Couple of weird things: SENDS button controls receives and the vpot doesn't update the fader in reaper for RECEIVES in real time. Also, don't know if virtual patchbay is working or not.

There are some things I like about it, but I don't think it will fit my workflow as laid out. This is just for 1 MCU, older version, and 10.6.8
Old 09-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #38
semiquaver

I'm just glad to have a stereo width control!

but yes I would love to customize it further...

my c skills may just be too rudimentary...
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #39
Geoff Waddington

Thanks to valley the stash now contains the Mac Dylib as well !
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #40
TYEDURA

Default Valley I need that

I hope Valley hasn't forgotten to send me those Mac programs for my PMIO to get working like it should....That would really suck...hint hint nudge nudge
TYEDURA is offline   Reply With Quote