Old 06-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
EricTbone
Human being with feelings

Default Editing tip: map X to delete

I know this sub is usually questions, but here's a tip!

The default mapping for the X key is "crossfade items within time selection". This is something I never use and can accomplish any number of other ways (including manually running that action).

Remapping 'x' to 'delete' puts the delete key on your left hand, so your hand doesn't have to reach across the keyboard to delete. This is particular useful in the MIDI editor. Note that you have to map it independently for the MIDI editor via it's action list.

YMMV, but it makes your editing life a little more streamlined.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
foxAsteria

I have to say it's not a very good idea to map something that you might regret doing by accident to a key that's super easy to press by accident. But I do like having delete on the left of the keyboard, which is why I use a keyboard with a detachable numerical pad. If I were you, I'd just make a habit of using ctrl+x to cut instead of delete. But to each his own...
Old 06-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
EpicSounds

alternatively, use X for cut items/tracks. C for copy, V for paste, Z for undo
Old 06-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
EricTbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
something that you might regret doing by accident
There is no regret with undo.

When editing MIDI I'm constantly deleting notes. 'x' makes that a non-chorded (important) keystroke on my left hand.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
foxAsteria

I guess you've never tried to find an undo point that you didn't notice making an hour ago. You can easily set up mouse modifiers too. Alt+click is erase by default, I believe. The main reason I don't recommend this is because if you go to type something into a field that isn't actually in focus, you can quickly trigger a bunch of unwanted actions. Just sayin....
Old 06-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
EricTbone

Quote:
Alt+click is erase by default, I believe.
Yes, but it require dragging across notes, which (1) is often much slower than rectangle selection, (2) has overload meaning for single notes (alt+drag is velocity edit).

Quote:
The main reason I don't recommend this
Not seeking anyone's recommendation, just sharing. I've been using it for weeks and it's improved my Reaper-editing-quality-of-life. Your mileage, as always, may vary, but you might want to try it before knocking it.

Last edited by EricTbone; 06-10-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Mate, I've got a shortcut for every single key on my keyboard as well as most of the modifier combinations (i.e. hundreds), custom and cycle actions up the wazz, etc. I've run the gamut of shortcut variations, which is why I feel obligated to temper your somewhat irresponsible tip with what I've learned in my 9 years with Reaper. In other words, I've tried it and am telling you (also those who would take your advice) why it's problematic. You don't have to listen to me, but I do know what I'm talking about.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
EricTbone

Quote:
irresponsible
*cringe* Ruprecht? Is that you?

Despite your obviously vast esteem for yourself, apparently accidentally hitting keys and not noticing that you've screwed up your project is a recurring issue for you. Assume my tip is for people less challenged by basic hand usage than yourself and leave it at that. It's been a great workflow enhancement for me, and therefore likely for some others as well.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
EricTbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
I see no reason to try to implore another to wire their brain exactly like mine.
For the record, I'm not doing that. Just responding to the hilarious notion that even suggesting such a key mapping is "irresponsible". Seen a lot of gatekeepers around here lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
However, I must say, there is a key labeled "delete" on my input device, and I'm compelled to use for such a function.
As do I. It's just in a slightly inconvenient place if you're using the mouse (even more so for me, because I have a split keyboard). This is why many mouse-intensive tools cram hotkeys on the left hand, even it ruins the mnemonic. For instance, Photoshop puts "paint bucket" under the 'g' key, despite "paint bucket" not containing the letter 'g'. See also: most PC games.

I use a text editor (Vim) that requires hitting ESC a lot, so it's quite common to remap CAPSLOCK to ESC at the system level just to move it down a few inches. And yes, this is despite there being a key labeled "ESC" on my input device.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #10
James HE

Deleted my previous message for the meme equity
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote