Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Wino Bob
Human being with feelings

Default aahhh . . oh boy . .

From the file: If you don't share your ignorance, you get to keep it . .

I was reading on the Native Instruments web page, and someone who was new to NI was asking advice regarding Kontakt 5 and Komplete 11 Select.

The person wrote back: "The two products are difficult to compare, as they are so different. One is a bundle of instruments and effects, while the other is a sample player which comes with a library of sounds."

Here is my ignorance . . . I don't know the difference between "a bundle of instruments, and a sample player which comes with a library of sounds." (crap, that's painful to admit). These both seem to be the same thing to me.

I really don't know what to ask you guys . . all I want to do is find some sounds that I can download, open Reaper, click on a sound and start recording that sound through my keyboard. What 'type' of downloads might I be looking for? I'm very basic - 4-6 instruments (sounds) and 3-4 part vocal harmony.

Maybe I just need to find a DAW dictionary. Apologies for the low level of knowledge . . (and thanks)

Wino Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
Judders

No problemo, Bob. We all start off knowing nothing!

So, you basically have 2 kinds of software instrument; ones that play samples (i.e. recordings of real instruments) and ones that generate the sounds all in the software (like a virtual synthesiser that models the electronics of a real synthesiser).

Kontakt is a sampler.

Komplete is a bundle of NI's instruments including Kontakt.

In answer to your question, you can download a free taster of Kontakt which should keep you happy for a while: https://www.native-instruments.com/e...free-download/

You can also download a free taster of IK Multimedia's SampleTank, which will give you more variety of free sampled instruments: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletankcs/

Report back if you have any problems getting these to work
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
slipstick

As suggested it basically comes down to whether you want to record things that sound like traditional instruments, piano, violin, guitar etc. or new electronic types of sounds.

For the first you want a sampler like Kontact, for the second you want synthesizers like, from the NI lineup, Massive, FM8 etc. With Komplete you get both sets.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 AM   #4
Softsynth

A software synth can be a few megabytes and downloads virtually instantly. Your computer calculates or generates all the sounds.
Software synthesis can even recreate acoustic instruments with increasing accuracy.
Pianoteq 6 is an example of such as synthesizer:
https://www.pianoteq.com/instrument_list

Obviously there are many software synths recreating hardware synthesizer sounds and new synthesis methods.

Sample libraries such as Kontakt eat up gigabytes of storage for their recorded sounds. As a general rule they are best used for replication of various acoustic instruments. Those acoustic libraries can be huge and expensive.
The price of sample libraries vary wildly. The most expensive soft synths are relative chicken feed compared to the most expensive sample libraries (mainly aimed at orchestral mock ups).
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
Wino Bob

This is perfect info guys - thanks.

I won't be getting into creating electronic sounds anytime soon. Basically looking for those well know sounds (bass/guitar/drums/keys) to record my own stuff - changing the lyrics is about as creative as I get . . .

Guess I'm looking for a sampler for starters - seems like Kontakt is very well known - Komplete may be more than I can handle right now. I'll look around at sample libraries. Any pitfalls (or downright junk) that I should be aware of? (this would be the; if it seems too good to be true type of stuff).

Thanks again, I appreciate it
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino Bob View Post
This is perfect info guys - thanks.

I won't be getting into creating electronic sounds anytime soon. Basically looking for those well know sounds (bass/guitar/drums/keys) to record my own stuff - changing the lyrics is about as creative as I get . . .

Guess I'm looking for a sampler for starters - seems like Kontakt is very well known - Komplete may be more than I can handle right now. I'll look around at sample libraries. Any pitfalls (or downright junk) that I should be aware of? (this would be the; if it seems too good to be true type of stuff).

Thanks again, I appreciate it
Start with the free versions of Kontakt and SampleTank I linked to above. You will have drums, bass, organs, piano, I think guitar, plus there are inbuilt effects like amps and stomp box type effects as well. There is plenty to be going on with in those free samples. Kontakt is the "industry standard", but SampleTank is good value and has plenty of satisfied customers. Demo them both to see which you prefer, or maybe you'll decide there's enough in the free samples.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
insub

Alternatively, you may want to start with a rompler like AIR's Xpand!2 or Sonic Cat Purity. Rompler VSTi are like workstation synths that will contain a little bit of everything including full GM (general MIDI) soundsets. They have all the sounds you need to get started, sound good enough, and don't require GBs of hard drive space.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:31 AM   #8
Softsynth

Agree with Judders,
Free instruments in Sample Tank 3 and Kontakt "Player" will get you a few sounds worth using.

Here is a full free drum set that will work in Kontakt player without restrictions:
http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica

A lot of users here have AIR's Xpand!2 because it was available for £1/$1 for quite a long time. It may still be possible to get it dirt cheap now?
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2016...ted-time-only/
I've seen it for £45 today. That's quite a chunk towards a better quality sample or physical modelling product. That's half way towards the brilliant Pianoteq for instance (which has numerous great free instruments).

The difference between a light rompler like Xpand and a relatively beefy rompler like Sample Tank 3 or Kontakt5 is sample instrument quality. The difference between Kontakt5's sample instruments and additional add on packs/instruments for Kontakt is again another hike in quality, albeit at a premium.
The latest and best sample instruments tend to be big download and relatively high price (relative to the initial purchase). You won't need those.

Drum Mica has the quality you would expect from a premium drum package as it is a showpiece for Sennheiser microphones. It also has qualified users for a much cheaper upgrade to full NI Kontakt5 (which is extra nice in the 50% off Summer sales).

If you are getting the idea that the market, pricing and deals involving plugins is a bit bonkers, that's because it is.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
Wino Bob

Well I pulled the trigger and downloaded Kontakt 5 and the Factory library. Funny thing, when I was looking at the NI site a few days ago, there were 7 (groups/patches/samples . . sorry, don't know the lingo yet) included in the library. I had already downloaded the 111 page documentation that included all 7.

But when it came down to actually downloading the sounds(?) . . there were only 5. And two of the three I were most interested in (Choir/Orchestral)were not there . . . hummmm.

I'm also looking at SampleTank and the Sennheiser drum set (ummm is that German??)

Thanks for all the suggestions and help (I'm sure I'll be back)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Softsynth

Quote:
Well I pulled the trigger and downloaded Kontakt 5 and the Factory library. Funny thing, when I was looking at the NI site a few days ago, there were 7 (groups/patches/samples . . sorry, don't know the lingo yet) included in the library. I had already downloaded the 111 page documentation that included all 7.

But when it came down to actually downloading the sounds(?) . . there were only 5. And two of the three I were most interested in (Choir/Orchestral)were not there . . . hummmm.

I'm also looking at SampleTank and the Sennheiser drum set (ummm is that German??)

Thanks for all the suggestions and help (I'm sure I'll be back)
I guess you've already bought and paid for full Kontakt5?
Or just downloaded the "player"?
You can (or could, if things have changed?) get a very substantial discount on Kontakt5 by using ownership of a qualifying Kontakt instrument package. Drum Mica counted as a qualifying commercial software, despite being free. You could then "crossgrade" to Kontakt5.
https://www.native-instruments.com/e...ontakt-player/

Full version: £339.00 "Crossgrade" from KONTAKT-based third-party products: £209.00, this combined with the 50% off Summer sale brought it down to a more wallet friendly £104.

Drum Mica is indeed German on Sennheisers website. The program itself is in English.
Use translator software like Google to guide you.

Last edited by Softsynth; 09-15-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
Vaulsc

Just wanted to say that I was dumb enough not to realize what kind of bundle Komplete was. After buying Absynth 5 and Guitar Rig 5 as standalone products, I realized I could have saved a huge amount on the bundle given that I needed other products anyway that would have cost a much large sum purchased individually.

I sent a groveling e-mail to NI customer services, they took pity on my noobness, and refunded some money after I went ahead and purchased the bundle. Very grateful for their service.
Vaulsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
Wino Bob

You can (or could, if things have changed?) get a very substantial discount on Kontakt5 by using ownership of a qualifying Kontakt instrument package. Drum Mica counted as a qualifying commercial software, despite being free. You could then "crossgrade" to Kontakt5.

No, I just downloaded as much 'free' stuff as I could (Kontackt 5 Player and the Free library). IO also signing up for Native Access (not sure what that's worth if I'm only getting free stuff).

I read about crossgrade and the summer sales, but I'm a bit over my head right now and was not understanding what that really meant - live and learn.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:40 AM   #13
Softsynth

Quote:

No, I just downloaded as much 'free' stuff as I could (Kontackt 5 Player and the Free library). IO also signing up for Native Access (not sure what that's worth if I'm only getting free stuff).

I read about crossgrade and the summer sales, but I'm a bit over my head right now and was not understanding what that really meant - live and learn.

Suggest you start with all the Sample Tank 3 free sounds and Kontakt5 freebies with Drum Mica (which you need to register).
Then also download some of the freebie synths. Read the best free VST lists (there are loads of them, even here) just google!

Native Access is not about freebies, though you will need to register the NI freebies in Native Access. It is anti piracy tool for their commercial products.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #14
Wino Bob

Please let me know if this type should be a new thread;

I saw this in one of the newbie threads;
Virtual Instruments:
Once you have your VST Plugin folders properly configured, you may want to play a Virtual Instrument. You can add the[m]to any FX chain by clicking the FX button and plucking them from the list.

So here's the situation - I believe I've downloaded the 5 Kontakt library samples correctly, and I can see the factory library in the Options/Preferences/VST plugins path - (NI Factory Library\Kontakt Factory Selection Library\VST Plugins NI Instruments)

However, when I want to "pluck them from the list" and add to a track, I clicked input FX/Add. I can then chose to look at all plugins and see all the VST 'Reo' stuff and ~400 JS effects, but I don't see any of the 5 libraries or individual sounds. Nor do I see them if I click /Instruments.

Where should I see them in order to "pluck" - should the 5 libraries auto-populate somewhere, or have I screwed up a step??

thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #15
Judders

The individual Kontakt libraries won't appear as separate fx in REAPER's fx browser. You should be able to see the Factory Selection instruments in Kontakt's own browser. So look for the Kontakt Player under VSTi in REAPER's fx browser window.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #16
Softsynth

All the Kontakt libraries from NIs website will feature down the left hand side of kontakt5 in a drop down menu format, if you have installed them.

Further:
A little explanation of products for full Kontakt and Kontakt "Player"

https://youtu.be/WWCjcJIy1HE?t=109

This is why most 3rd party libraries are unlicensed (libraries not on NIs site), and thus require full Kontakt. It costs developers a lot of money for them to make a product work unrestricted in the free version of Kontakt.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
Wino Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
The individual Kontakt libraries won't appear as separate fx in REAPER's fx browser. You should be able to see the Factory Selection instruments in Kontakt's own browser. So look for the Kontakt Player under VSTi in REAPER's fx browser window.
All the Kontakt libraries from NIs website will feature down the left hand side of kontakt5 in a drop down menu format, if you have installed them.

I've opened up the Kontakt player from my program files and; 1)there is nothing listed on the left-hand side, 2) when I click Libraries, nothing shows, 3) when I click on Files, I can follow the path all the way from the C drive to the libraries, click on a library (e.g., Band), move to the next panel down, pick an instrument (e.g., E-10 piano) and it populates the right side of the player screen.

So, the two questions are 1) is this what I have to do each time I want to pick an instrument? and 2)if so, how pull that sample in the Kontakt player (e.g., E-10 piano)into Reaper?

Thanks guys
Old 09-18-2017, 03:02 AM   #18
solger

Quote:
I've opened up the Kontakt player from my program files and; 1)there is nothing listed on the left-hand side, 2) when I click Libraries, nothing shows, 3) when I click on Files, I can follow the path all the way from the C drive to the libraries, click on a library (e.g., Band), move to the next panel down, pick an instrument (e.g., E-10 piano) and it populates the right side of the player screen.

So, the two questions are 1) is this what I have to do each time I want to pick an instrument? ...
Did you also download and install the Kontakt Factory Selection (which will for instance show up under [Libraries])?: https://www.native-instruments.com/e...free-download/

In general, loading instruments is done either via the [Libraries], [Files] or [Database] Tabs (although it depends on the Instrument if it will also show up under [Libraries]).
But you can also put instruments into the Quickload panel for faster access (which can be seen in the video starting at around 6:44): www.youtube.com/watch?v=kALjxc1ZLWQ

General info about the Kontakt Player can be found in the included manuals and guides - accessible via 'Help > Open Manual'.

Quote:
... and 2)if so, how pull that sample in the Kontakt player (e.g., E-10 piano)into Reaper?
Basically you play the loaded instrument by using an external MIDI keyboard or by clicking on the Virtual (MIDI) Keyboard from either Kontakt or Reaper. And record the Audio Output onto the Track.

Last edited by solger; 09-18-2017 at 03:37 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #19
Wino Bob

Did you also download and install the Kontakt Factory Selection (which will for instance show up under [Libraries])?
I’ve down-loaded these twice over the last few days (and placed in two separate C drive paths to make sure they were actually downloaded, and that I could distinguish between them if I needed to . . is this a problem??)

In general, loading instruments is done either via the [Libraries], [Files] or [Database] Tabs (although it depends on the Instrument if it will also show up under [Libraries]).
And I’m guessing that since my keyboard is a thousand years old – this is probably the reason that the Libraries did not populate in Kontakt???
Looking at the screenshots, via the [Files] or [Database] Tabs, I can find the libraries and individual samples – and if I click on them, they auto populate to the right side of the screen (browser??)

But you can also put instruments into the Quickload panel for faster access (which can be seen in the video starting at around 6:44):
The quickload seems to work as advertised - thanks.

General info about the Kontakt Player can be found in the included manuals and guides - accessible via 'Help > Open Manual'.
Thanks – I’ve been trying to plow through this but with ~1hr/day for this stuff, it’s going to take me a while.

Quote:
Basically, you play the loaded instrument by using an external MIDI keyboard or by clicking on the Virtual (MIDI) Keyboard from either Kontakt or Reaper. And record the Audio Output onto the Track.
OK, this is where I get completely lost for two reasons:
1)at the bottom of one of the screenshots, you can see an “Auto” button which (supposedly) allows for a preview playback of any sample . . . no matter what I try, I can’t get a sound, so I have no idea if this might be a sound I’d want to use;
2)what is the connection between the sample picked (which I can’t hear) to my keyboard? That is, my brain says that unless some type of sample ‘label/wording’ from the Kontakt Library populates somewhere in Reaper (or the actual track I want to record), the sound of the sample will never be found/transferred/played?

You guys have been so patient with this noob – maybe someday I’ll get things through my head.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reaper forum snips 2.zip (857.8 KB, 683 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #20
solger

Quote:
... this is probably the reason that the Libraries did not populate in Kontakt???
Go to File > Options > Database and check the folder paths there. Otherwise [Add] the path to the folder where you put the Kontakt Factory Selection.

Quote:
OK, this is where I get completely lost for two reasons:
1)at the bottom of one of the screenshots, you can see an “Auto” button which (supposedly) allows for a preview playback of any sample . . . no matter what I try, I can’t get a sound, so I have no idea if this might be a sound I’d want to use;
The Audition Strip at the bottom with the Play and Auto Button lets you prelisten to audio files (like .WAV). With the [AUTO] button enabled, audio files are automatically played back on selection.

But this feature won't work on .NKI files (which are selected in your screenshots) since this is the file format of the Kontakt Instruments.

Quote:
2)what is the connection between the sample picked (which I can’t hear) to my keyboard? That is, my brain says that unless some type of sample ‘label/wording’ from the Kontakt Library populates somewhere in Reaper (or the actual track I want to record), the sound of the sample will never be found/transferred/played?
Basically Kontakt Instruments consist of multiple audio samples which are mapped to a certain MIDI note on the keyboard.

So as simple example: when you press the note C1 on the MIDI keyboard, the corresponding audio sample (assigned to note C1) will be triggered.
As another example, let's say you have a Drum Kit loaded: in this case C1 triggers the Kick audio sample, D1 triggers the Snare audio sample, and so on ...

If you want to show Kontakt's built-in keyboard in order to be able to trigger keys via mouse: https://support.native-instruments.c...-the-keyboard-

-------------------------

As I already mentioned before, the procedure is basically the following:

1) First load the instrument (.NKI file) you want to use (via the [Libraries] Tab or via the [Files] Tab by double-clicking the .NKI instrument file) so it shows up in the Kontakt Rack on the right side.
2) Then use the MIDI keys to trigger/play the sounds of the loaded instrument

-------------------------

As a side note: in general, I'd recommend to use Insert > Virtual instrument on new Track and select the Kontakt Player. This sets up the Track settings (MIDI Input: all channels, Track Record Arm + Input Monitoring enabled) automatically for recording.

By default the incoming MIDI notes are recorded onto the Track.
So if you want to record the Audio Output of Kontakt: Right-Click on the Track Record Button and select Record: Output > Record: Output (stereo).

I hope this makes everything a little bit clearer

Last edited by solger; 09-18-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
Wino Bob

The Audition Strip at the bottom with the Play and Auto Button lets you prelisten to audio files (like .WAV). With the [AUTO] button enabled, audio files are automatically played back on selection.

But this feature won't work on .NKI files (which are selected in your screenshots) since this is the file format of the Kontakt Instruments.
___
So, am I correct in saying that this is no big deal, since I should be able to hear the actual Kontakt sound of the .NKI file through my monitor speakers by: 1) First load the instrument (.NKI file) you want to use (via the [Libraries] Tab or via the [Files] Tab by double-clicking the .NKI instrument file) so it shows up in the Kontakt Rack on the right side.

If so, that's the first problem - when I do 1/2, and play my midi keyboard, I do not get a Kontakt sound, I get the sound of my keyboard through the keyboard speakers. (However, the NKI file does show up on the right side so, 1 works, 2 does not)
___
As a side note: in general, I'd recommend to use Insert > Virtual instrument on new Track and select the Kontakt Player.
This would be the second problem, if I'm in Reaper, open a new track and Insert > Virtual instrument on new Track - there is no Kontakt Player to select. If for example, I select Instruments only the three "Rea . . " show up.

Again, all gratitude for your help
Old 09-19-2017, 03:23 AM   #22
solger

Quote:
So, am I correct in saying that this is no big deal, since I should be able to hear the actual Kontakt sound of the .NKI file through my monitor speakers by: 1) First load the instrument (.NKI file) you want to use (via the [Libraries] Tab or via the [Files] Tab by double-clicking the .NKI instrument file) so it shows up in the Kontakt Rack on the right side.
Basically yes - assuming the MIDI keyboard is set up correctly.

Quote:
If so, that's the first problem - when I do 1/2, and play my midi keyboard, I do not get a Kontakt sound, I get the sound of my keyboard through the keyboard speakers. (However, the NKI file does show up on the right side so, 1 works, 2 does not)
OK, then let's continue from here:

- What's the model name of the MIDI keyboard you're using?
- Did you enable the MIDI keyboard as MIDI Input under Preferences > Audio > MIDI Device?
- Do you hear any sound when you click on the built-in keyboard inside Kontakt?

Quote:
This would be the second problem, if I'm in Reaper, open a new track and Insert > Virtual instrument on new Track - there is no Kontakt Player to select. If for example, I select Instruments only the three "Rea . . " show up.
Make sure that you don't have something like "Rea ..." typed into the Filter field at the bottom. Or press the [Clear filter] button.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #23
Wino Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Basically yes - assuming the MIDI keyboard is set up correctly.

OK, then let's continue from here:

Casiotone CT-460 (very old)

- Did you enable the MIDI keyboard as MIDI Input under Preferences > Audio > MIDI Device?
The only choice was my preamp - Focusrite USB MIDI

- Do you hear any sound when you click on the built-in keyboard inside Kontakt?
Yes, and it changes as I pick different .NKI files

Make sure that you don't have something like "Rea ..." typed into the Filter field at the bottom. Or press the [Clear filter] button.
Nothing in the filter fields (pressed the clear filter anyway)
Old 09-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #24
solger

Quote:
Nothing in the filter fields (pressed the clear filter anyway)
OK, and the Kontakt Player is also not listed under [All Plugins]?

On second thought, since the screenshots you posted only show the Standalone version of the Kontakt Player:

Is the install folder where the Kontakt Player plugin files (.dll) are located already listed in the VST Plugin path under Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST?

- If the correct folder is already listed --> click on the [Clear cache/re-scan] button and see if the Kontakt Player plugin shows up now
- If not --> [Add...] the path to this folder there, so Reaper can find the Kontakt Player plugin

Last edited by solger; 09-19-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #25
Wino Bob

Quote:
OK, and the Kontakt Player is also not listed under [All Plugins]?

On second thought, since the screenshots you posted only show the Standalone version of the Kontakt Player:

Is the install folder where the Kontakt Player plugin files (.dll) are located already listed in the VST Plugin path under Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST?

- If the correct folder is already listed --> click on the [Clear cache/re-scan] button and see if the Kontakt Player plugin shows up now
- If not --> [Add...] the path to this folder there, so Reaper can find the Kontakt Player plugin
1. correct - the Kontact player was not listed.
2. it was not listed correctly, it is now listed with the .dll containing file path.
3. Reaper now shows Kontakt player in Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST - as three options: Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments GmbH) (8 out/16 out/64 out) - I'm not sure what the 8/16/64 mean?

So, I can; a)pull the Kontack player into Reaper, b)select a Library/instrument, c)play the Kontakt virtual keyboard and get both the sound through my monitor speakers, and also see the signal in a new track (with some possible latency??).
However, I still cannot produce the Kontkt instrument sound, nor see a signal from my midi keyboard (only the keyboard sound through the keyboard speakers).
but we're getting closer . .
Old 09-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #26
solger

Quote:
1. correct - the Kontact player was not listed.
2. it was not listed correctly, it is now listed with the .dll containing file path.
3. Reaper now shows Kontakt player in Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST - as three options: Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments GmbH) (8 out/16 out/64 out) - I'm not sure what the 8/16/64 mean?
8/16/64 indicates the number of supported audio outputs of the plugin (the 64 out is the default version).
If you're interested in more details about this, check out this article: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ing-three.html

Quote:
So, I can; a)pull the Kontack player into Reaper, b)select a Library/instrument, c)play the Kontakt virtual keyboard and get both the sound through my monitor speakers, and also see the signal in a new track (with some possible latency??).
OK. great.

Quote:
However, I still cannot produce the Kontkt instrument sound, nor see a signal from my midi keyboard (only the keyboard sound through the keyboard speakers).
but we're getting closer . .
OK. See below.

EDIT:
Quote:

I'm assuming the CT-460 is connected via MIDI cable to the Focusrite: in this case, enable the Focusrite as MIDI Input in the preferences.

And make sure that the Chord/MIDI selector on the CT-460 is set to MIDI in order to use the MIDI function on the keyboard.

Last edited by solger; 09-19-2017 at 01:29 PM. Reason: I somehow overlooked the info about the MIDI keyboard model in post #23
Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #27
Wino Bob

EDIT:
Quote:

I'm assuming the CT-460 is connected via MIDI cable to the Focusrite: in this case, enable the Focusrite as MIDI Input in the preferences.

And make sure that the Chord/MIDI selector on the CT-460 is set to MIDI in order to use the MIDI function on the keyboard.

All of these were checked / found as requested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reaper forum snips 3.zip (50.1 KB, 661 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #28
solger

Quote:
All of these were checked / found as requested.
OK, and is it still not working?

Is there any meter movement on the Reaper Track when pressing a key on the CT-460?

In addition:

To make things easier in Kontakt Player: set the Input channel of the loaded instrument to [OMNI] - so the loaded Kontakt instrument receives MIDI from all channels.
See the screenshots in the last section Defining a MIDI Port and Channel for your KONTAKT Instrument at the bottom: https://support.native-instruments.c...ler-in-KONTAKT

The first section in the article Activating your MIDI Device is only relevant for using Kontakt Player Standalone. When using the Kontakt Player as plugin, the MIDI and Audio settings are managed in Reaper's Preferences.

Last edited by solger; 09-19-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #29
Wino Bob

Quote:
OK, and is it still not working?

Is there any meter movement on the Reaper Track when pressing a key on the CT-460?

In addition:

To make things easier in Kontakt Player: set the Input channel of the loaded instrument to [OMNI] - so the loaded Kontakt instrument receives MIDI from all channels.
See the screenshots in the last section Defining a MIDI Port and Channel for your KONTAKT Instrument at the bottom: https://support.native-instruments.c...ler-in-KONTAKT

The first section in the article Activating your MIDI Device is only relevant for using Kontakt Player Standalone. When using the Kontakt Player as plugin, the MIDI and Audio settings are managed in Reaper's Preferences.

It is still not working - also there is no meter movement on the Reaper Track when pressing a key on the CT-460.

Switched the input to OMNI - no change. I'm going to shut everything down and bring it back up. I seem to remember that someone had a situation where they had to turn the keyboard on before the computer - might be grasping at straws but . . .
thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #30
Wino Bob

Quote:
It is still not working - also there is no meter movement on the Reaper Track when pressing a key on the CT-460.

Switched the input to OMNI - no change. I'm going to shut everything down and bring it back up. I seem to remember that someone had a situation where they had to turn the keyboard on before the computer - might be grasping at straws but . . .
thanks
Shut it down, brought it back up . . . no change. One question, in Reaper Track, does the input FX and the FX need to be the same instrument choice? It seems that's the only way the Kontakt keyboard shows meter movement and also hear the Kontakt instrument.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #31
solger

Quote:
One question, in Reaper Track, does the input FX and the FX need to be the same instrument choice? It seems that's the only way the Kontakt keyboard shows meter movement and also hear the Kontakt instrument.
No, input FX and (Track) FX are two different things.

It's enough to insert Kontakt just as (Track) FX:
- Either by using Insert > Virtual Instrument on new Track ... which sets up the Track automatically (MIDI Input: All channels, Record Arm + Monitor Input enabled)
- Or by setting up the Track manually, as seen here: www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ztr7B-PrUHY

Last edited by solger; 09-20-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #32
Wino Bob

Well . . our time here (and this thread) is over . . .

Because everything seems to work!!!!!

This is great. (I'd like to thank my Parents and the Academy . . . oh wait, wrong crowd

Really guys, thanks

Solger - thanks for sticking with me and being sooooo patient.

I'm sure I'll be back again, but for now . . woo hoo . . I get to play around (perfect)
Old 09-21-2017, 02:31 AM   #33
solger

Quote:
Well . . our time here (and this thread) is over . . .

Because everything seems to work!!!!!
Great