Old 08-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
basilwhite
Human being with feelings

Default Audacity-type envelope filter?

Audacity-type envelope filter?

Audacity has a visual envelope filter where you can make sections of a track louder by grabbing a point on the track and raising or lowering that point.

My guitarist uses Reaper so I 've been trying to learn it. A section of the vocals was too quiet. He said that he had to adjust the gain slider during mixdown in realtime to change the gain of a part of a track.

I found a control to raise the gain of the entire track and tried various combinations of alt, ctrl, shift to no avail. The wiki and docs and help had nothing I could identify to help. A visual envelope filter is a dealbreaker for voice editing.

Please consider developing "help for Audacity Users" vis à vis the old "Winword help for WordPerfect" help of yore, where you bury the Audacity terms in the Reaper docs. If I can't find a feature using the terms I know, that feature does not exist.

Also, is there an Audacity-type envelope filter in Reaper?

This issue also tracked at http://community.livejournal.com/audioeng/402732.html
basilwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Kihoalu
Human being with feelings

Basil,

Just look in the user guide again under Envelopes. The regular built-in envelopes will do this job easily and Nicolas has put considerable documentation on their use in the user guide.

If you looked at the user guide it is hard to believe you could have missed it.

I do envelopes on vocals all day long and they work fine. I especially like the pre-fader volume envelope because the waveform changes to show what the adjustment does to the wave. This is especially good for adjust the vocal before it is fed to the compressor.