Old 03-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #1
Abraham Liftin'
Human being with feelings

Default Can't insert video file.

So, I was watching a video tutorial by Kenny G. and thought, what the hell. Let me try making a quick video. But I couldn't insert any kind of video file onto a track. I can insert a still picture, but trying to insert a video file gives me "Cannot insert media"...or "Media failed to insert"....or something like that.

Am I missing a codec of some kind?

Also, I noticed that in his tutorial, when he right clicked on the video window, he had options I don't have. For example, he had "Dock video to top". I only have "Dock" and it goes to the bottom. I have the latest version of REAPER.

Thanx for any help in advance.
Abraham Liftin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #2
domzy

if you are on windows, do you have the correct versions of VLC & ffmpeg installed?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
if you are on windows, do you have the correct versions of VLC & ffmpeg installed?
I think so. I mean, I do have VLC and ffmpeg. Whether I have them installed in the right place(s), I don't know. I copied the folders for VLC and ffmpeg into my REAPER folder, but I don't know if I have to place specific files into specific folders, or what else I might be missing.

Thanx Domzy.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #4
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Liftin' View Post
I think so. I mean, I do have VLC and ffmpeg. Whether I have them installed in the right place(s), I don't know. I copied the folders for VLC and ffmpeg into my REAPER folder, but I don't know if I have to place specific files into specific folders, or what else I might be missing.

Thanx Domzy.
i can't remember the specifics, but i don't think moving any folders was involved - i think you just need to install & then Reaper will find what it needs?
Old 03-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
solger

In general, the additional codec files of the FFMPEG libraries are the ones that need to be copied to a specific location.
Simply installing the VLC Player should be sufficient (for Reaper to find the necessary files from there).

The important thing is to install VLC and FFMPEG in the same bit-version as your Reaper-install (32- or 64-bit).

More info here:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
i can't remember the specifics, but i don't think moving any folders was involved - i think you just need to install & then Reaper will find what it needs?
That's what I thought, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In general, the additional codec files of the FFMPEG libraries are the ones that need to be copied to a specific location.
Simply installing the VLC Player should be sufficient (for Reaper to find the necessary files from there).

The important thing is to install VLC and FFMPEG in the same bit-version as your Reaper-install (32- or 64-bit).

More info here:
Thanx solger. I can't check now, but it's entirely possible I don't have the same bit-version. I never changed from 32 bit in REAPER, and there's a huge possibility my VLC and/or ffmep are 64 bit. I'll check it out later and post the result.

Thanx so much for the help, you guys.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
Abraham Liftin'

OK, so taking a quick look, my ffmpeg is definitely 64 bit. I can't find where to look for VLC, but I can almost guarantee that it's also 64 bit.

So, my next question is, if I download the 64 bit version of REAPER, will it erase my 32 bit version? Or will it keep both versions so that I can continue to use the 32 bit version for my music, and the 64 bit version for videos?

Thanx again.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
So, my next question is, if I download the 64 bit version of REAPER, will it erase my 32 bit version? Or will it keep both versions so that I can continue to use the 32 bit version for my music, and the 64 bit version for videos?
Yes, you can install 32- and 64-bit Reaper into different locations. I can't remember exactly, but I think that both versions share the same resource folder (if both are a regular install).
So I'd recommend to install the second one as a portable install: http://lacinato.com/cm/blog/25-reaperportable

And just to be on the safe side: making a backup of your current configs, before installing the second version

Last edited by solger; 03-05-2021 at 10:22 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #9
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Yes, you can install 32- and 64-bit Reaper into different locations. I can't remember exactly, but I think that both versions share the same resource folder (if both are a regular install).
So I'd recommend to install the second one as a portable install: http://lacinato.com/cm/blog/25-reaperportable

And just to be on the safe side: making a backup of your current configs, before installing the second version
Awesome! Thanx for the help. I'm going to try all that later today.

I really appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:44 AM   #10
Abraham Liftin'

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but I'll ask here first.

In Kenny's video, starting at about 1:38, he shows his options for docking the video player. It has all kinds of options like "Docker: bottom", "Docker: top", "Docker: Left", and "Docker: right".

https://youtu.be/-n0V_KnXbRA

I don't have those options. I only have "Dock". That's it. And it automatically goes to the bottom. Not a big deal. Since I'm only starting to make videos, I'm sure I can get used to whatever defaults I'm stuck with. But I'm wondering why I don't have those options. I downloaded the very latest 64 bit version of Reaper just this morning.

Here's a screenshot of what I have:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (62.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Abraham Liftin'; 03-05-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #11
Abraham Liftin'

This is very weird. One of my posts disappeared. Before the above post, I posted saying that everything worked like a charm after installing 64 bit Reaper. I also said a big thank you to Domzy and solger. That post is now gone. Strange. It's entirely possible I deleted it somehow while trying to attach my screen shot. Whatever. Anyway, just wanted Domzy and solger to know that I appreciate their help.

Now, on to my above question about having less options when I right click on the video screen. Question is in the preceding post to this one.

Last edited by Abraham Liftin'; 03-05-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:27 PM   #12
domzy

Quote:
Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but I'll ask here first.

In Kenny's video, starting at about 1:38, he shows his options for docking the video player. It has all kinds of options like "Docker: bottom", "Docker: top", "Docker: Left", and "Docker: right".

https://youtu.be/-n0V_KnXbRA

I don't have those options. I only have "Dock". That's it. And it automatically goes to the bottom. Not a big deal. Since I'm only starting to make videos, I'm sure I can get used to whatever defaults I'm stuck with. But I'm wondering why I don't have those options. I downloaded the very latest 64 bit version of Reaper just this morning.

Here's a screenshot of what I have:
You are clicking on the video window, Kenny is clicking on the docker
Old 03-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #13
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
You are clicking on the video window, Kenny is clicking on the docker
Hmmm...I don't know about that.

If you go back to about 1:15, you'll see that he goes to the menu and chooses "View....Video". Then he right clicks on the video window and gets all those options. But even his video window doesn't look like mine. His has "Video" written in the bottom left corner, mine doesn't. His also says "Docked" on top, and that's before he actually docks it. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, this is all new to me. But it seems to me that he's just right clicking on the video window before he docks it, to get it to give him all those options that I don't have.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #14
domzy

Quote:
Hmmm...I don't know about that.

If you go back to about 1:15, you'll see that he goes to the menu and chooses "View....Video". Then he right clicks on the video window and gets all those options. But even his video window doesn't look like mine. His has "Video" written in the bottom left corner, mine doesn't. His also says "Docked" on top, and that's before he actually docks it. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, this is all new to me. But it seems to me that he's just right clicking on the video window before he docks it, to get it to give him all those options that I don't have.
No, you said it yourself - it says "docked" - he is clearly clicking on the grey bar along the bottom of the docked video.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #15
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
No, you said it yourself - it says "docked" - he is clearly clicking on the grey bar along the bottom of the docked video.
Yes, I'm aware of what I said. That's the part that I don't understand.

Ok, then how did he get it to dock if all he did was go to the drop down "View" menu and click on "Video", just a few seconds before that? I do the exact same thing and my video floats in the middle of the screen just like his does, except that mine doesn't have all those options. I'm literally doing the exact same thing he is to make the video screen visible.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #16
karbomusic

I think once it is docked somewhere (right-click main video window) you can then just move it where you want by grabbing the tab. Domzy is correct about clicking the gray bar for attach top/bottom/left/right though (the red area below). Those are two different things, one docks, one changes docked location.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #17
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think once it is docked somewhere you can then just move it where you want by grabbing the tab.
Thanx. I'll check that out.

Quote:
Domzy is correct about clicking the gray bar though.
I know. I saw the same video.

EDIT: I just opened it again. When I select "Dock", it just goes to the bottom of the screen. There is no tab to move it with.

No big deal, guys. I can work with the screen docked at the bottom. Thanx for trying to help.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #18
karbomusic

I didn't know it was possible to dock minus a tab, for a non-toolbar that is. Either way once it is docked there should be an area to right click and move it that way. Granted, docking windows in Reaper isn't the most intuitive feature I've seen in my life.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #19
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I didn't know it was possible to dock minus a tab, for a non-toolbar that is. Either way once it is docked there should be an area to right click and move it that way. Granted, docking windows in Reaper isn't the most intuitive feature I've seen in my life.
You, my friend, are 100% correct. I didn't notice the tab at the very bottom. I just grabbed it and moved the video to the top. Awesome! Problem solved.

Now, it's only curiosity that makes still want to find out why my screen shot doesn't show the same options his video does. He goes to the drop down menu "View...Video", and his screen already has a tab under it. I do the same thing and I get the same screen floating in the same place, but with out tabs and with less options.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #20
domzy

Quote:

Now, it's only curiosity that makes still want to find out why my screen shot doesn't show the same options his video does. He goes to the drop down menu "View...Video", and his screen already has a tab under it. I do the same thing and I get the same screen floating in the same place, but with out tabs and with less options.
That's because his video is already docked - it remembers the state it was in when it was last opened?
Old 03-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #21
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
That's because his video is already docked - it remembers the state it was in when it was last opened?
Got it. That's what was throwing me off. He's opening his and I'm opening mine, but we're each opening them in different "States", I guess. It's all starting to make sense now. Thanx, man.

Another thing that was throwing me off was one of you was calling it the "docker" , and the other one was calling it the "tab". So, I wasn't sure who was referring what. Not blaming you guys at all, you were all a great help. I just wasn't getting it.

It all makes sense now and everything is working the way it should. Thanx guys.

Last edited by Abraham Liftin'; 03-05-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #22
karbomusic

I certainly wouldn't feel bad. Every so often I get in a hurry in reaper, accidentally hit some unknown (to me) key combo that closes every single docked window then I spend 1/2 hour trying to get them all back where they were.