Old 11-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
horneusz
Human being with feelings

Default Is there "Xfer Lfo Tool" for Reaper?

Hi,
is there a jsfx plugin that is similar to Xfer Lfo Tool - https://xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool ?
horneusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
mccrabney

following

i use REAPER's param mod, but sometimes want a smoother L saw
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

ReaRack MultiEnvelope Tool will cover most of it, I think.

To control other plugins you'd want to use their own CC control process first. If your chosen plug doesn't have that, use PM to link the MIDI CC output to your chosen parameter. It won't be any smoother than the built in PM LFOs, though, because all PM (automation in general) is stair stepped at buffer blocks.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:30 AM   #4
Eliseat

ashcat_lt,

I don't think its a midi LFO tool rather than an audio LFO with level, filter, panning sequencer/LFO. You could achieve the same by using parameter modulation and some JSFX like filter, level, pan etc.

horneusz,

Reaper is even more flexible than the Xfer LFO tool because you can choose from your own arsenal of filters and other effects. You may think: But this thing has a nice sequencer with envelope, step sequencer and LFO.

Reaper has all of it. Your envelope, step sequencer and LFOs are in front of you, if your copy of Reaper runs. Its called Animation Items!

Take a synth, drumloop - any audio you want. Choose a filter as FX. Move or click the cutoff slider and click the "param" button -> show track envelope! Go to arrange view. Under the new envelope is a small lane. If you alt-drag into it, you can create an automation item quickly. Drag it the wanted size. Change the envelope inside of it and loop it as long as you want.

If you don't want to fiddle with the envelope I can suggest the script: js_Envelope LFO generator and shaper.lua This thing is amazing. You can adjust envelopes like you want and way more flexible than in Xfers Lfo Tool.

I would NEVER EVER buy or install such a thing because Reaper offers more you need and more than most people think of. Why should I fiddle in a small window with lot of boundaries if I could do it natively in my DAW? Try to change your Xfer sequence over time or with lots of different measuring. Good luck!
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
I don't think its a midi LFO tool rather than an audio LFO with level, filter, panning sequencer/LFO. You could achieve the same by using parameter modulation and some JSFX like filter, level, pan etc.
I saw that it has some built in effects, but it also does send MIDI CCs to control other plugs. The OP didn't really say which part of that they wanted, but the second post said something about Parameter Modulation so I went that direction. PM itself is cool, but pretty limited. Your suggestion for using Automation Items is also cool.

Neither of those things can be themselves automated or modulated.

And neither will ever be truly "smooth". Depending on your audio settings and the code of the plugin you choose modulate, it is often good enough, but if the issue is "PM's saw ramp causes stair steps or zipper noise", Automation Items wont be better.

The ReaRack Envelope tool doesn't really help that latter issue unless the plug you want to modulate itself is coded for sample accurate parameter control via MIDI CC (or audio "CV" actually), but you can modulate its parameters if you want.

BTW, that plugin is a part of a bigger "modular synth" type suite of plugins which are in fact coded for sample accurate control via MIDI CC (or audio CV), and I'm pretty sure you could string a couple together to get about anything the OP plug can do.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
power

Default Context Menu?

@Eliseat...

From your GIF, it looks like you've added "LFO Generator" to your context menu.

I've been searching for a method of doing that.

Are you able to share how it's done?

Thanks,
dp
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:33 AM   #7
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
@Eliseat...

From your GIF, it looks like you've added "LFO Generator" to your context menu.

I've been searching for a method of doing that.

Are you able to share how it's done?

Thanks,
dp
It is in the Customize menu/toolbars window. You can pop this up right clicking any toolbar it and click customize toolbar, and then at the new window top left you have the context. Search for the Envelope Context. Then you can click Add.. to add actions from your action list
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
Vagelis

The only huge difference between lfo tool and js plugins or automation items, is that lfo tool by xfer can be used for sidechain, it can be triggered with midi notes though and not with audio, but that makes it very useful plugin for sidechaining. Not sure if a js plugin has this functionality.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #9
AudioBabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
ashcat_lt,

I have to ask... how do you get the little white arrow that allows you to click>drag copy the envelope??
Old 02-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #10
cool

My script can do something like this, but based on automation envelopes: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=254081
cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #11
AudioBabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
My script can do something like this, but based on automation envelopes: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=254081
Thanks I will definitely check both out, I use slicers quite a bit too
Old 02-06-2022, 07:13 AM   #12
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBabble View Post
I have to ask... how do you get the little white arrow that allows you to click>drag copy the envelope??
If you create a automation item by alt+left click-drag (in the small lane under the envelope track where it says "Cutoff scale/Butterworth 4-pole filter" in Eliseat's GIF) you can then resize/loop it however you want just like a normal audio item. Just hover your cursor over either the start or the end of the item and this arrow will show up.

It's the automation item she is looping and not the envelope itself, if that makes sense
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:19 AM   #13
AudioBabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLinnarson View Post
If you create a automation item by alt+left click-drag (in the small lane under the envelope track where it says "Cutoff scale/Butterworth 4-pole filter" in Eliseat's GIF) you can then resize/loop it however you want just like a normal audio item. Just hover your cursor over either the start or the end of the item and this arrow will show up.

It's the automation item she is looping and not the envelope itself, if that makes sense
Brilliant, thanks JonLinnarson for putting me on the right path...

Seems I have to do things in a certain order:

1. create the envelope
2. draw the automation item using alt>click>drag (which brings up a white pen tool)
3. Now I get the white extension arrow so i can duplicate the "loop"