Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper's internal windows in Linux : always on top?

While I see the "Always on top" option for the windows of all applications running in Ubuntu Studio (including Reaper's main window), the internal windows of Reaper (i.e., FX Chains windows) do not seem to show that option - only "Roll window up", and no pin as in Windows -. What option do we have to set some of those internal Reaper windows on top? For example, the usual situation of setting an FX Chain on top while working with the MIDI Editor in the background?

Thanks in advance!

[EDIT January 2021] : I FOUND IT! In a similar way to what FeedtheCat kindly pointed out in this thread :

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....72#post2398772

there is an option in the reaper.ini file called "gdk_owned_windows_keep_above" which is set to "auto" and must be set to 0 to enable both the "Always on top" and "Keep below other windows" options in any Reaper's window. Reaper's main window most likely benefits from having the "Keep below" option enabled...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 01-29-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
While I see the "Always on top" option for the windows of all applications running in Ubuntu Studio (including Reaper's main window), the internal windows of Reaper (i.e., FX Chains windows) do not seem to show that option - only "Roll window up", and no pin as in Windows -. What option do we have to set some of those internal Reaper windows on top? For example, the usual situation of setting an FX Chain on top while working with the MIDI Editor in the background?

Thanks in advance!
Do they close when working in the midi editor? For me they stay open (debian + xfce)
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
JamesPeters

It seems it's greyed-out for me in all Reaper windows (all except the main window for Reaper). It's there in the right-click menu from the titlebar, but can't be used. XFCE, Xubuntu 20.04
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Do they close when working in the midi editor? For me they stay open (debian + xfce)
Yes, they stay open, but if I click on the MIDI Editor window, for example, the FX Chain window is pushed below the ME one and I don't see it anymore until I close or minimize the focused window. I ask because the only missing thing is the option of "always on top" for each one of Reaper's internal windows (that option itself is greyed out and only available in Reaper's main window). The Preferences section does not seem to show any related option, neither...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
It seems it's greyed-out for me in all Reaper windows (all except the main window for Reaper). It's there in the right-click menu from the titlebar, but can't be used. XFCE, Xubuntu 20.04
Exactly! And that's the issue itself : we don't seem to have the ability by now, in the Linux version of Reaper, to set Reaper's internal windows to stay on top. I just hope Justin reads this...
Old 05-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Yes, they stay open, but if I click on the MIDI Editor window, for example, the FX Chain window is pushed below the ME one and I don't see it anymore until I close or minimize the focused window. I ask because the only missing thing is the option of "always on top" for each one of Reaper's internal windows (that option itself is greyed out and only available in Reaper's main window). The Preferences section does not seem to show any related option, neither...

Exactly! And that's the issue itself : we don't seem to have the ability by now, in the Linux version of Reaper, to set Reaper's internal windows to stay on top. I just hope Justin reads this...
I have the midi editor docked. Maybe that helps. It's also greyed out for me, but it was never an issue for me.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
Soli Deo Gloria

Yes, those things help, indeed. I´ll have to arrange things on the screen in order to have everything available without doing too much of a mess. And I hope that, at some point, the "always on top" functionality will be also available for the internal windows. Maybe, being Linux, there is some potential hack that can be applied on a OS basis. We´ll see...
Old 06-12-2020, 01:11 AM   #7
Mattheas Boelter

I know it's been a while, but I'm 90% sure this is a WM thing, not a Reaper thing. I would try asking in the forums of the WM/DE you use to see if they have any recommendations for forcing certain windows to stay on top. I personally use bspwm (a tiling window manager), and it allows me to setup rules for how certain windows are treated (although Reaper doesn't label the metadata correctly, so it's a bit annoying to setup, but still very possible). As an example, I could use a rule to force a window with certain attributes float (instead of tiling) and to be a certain size. Or I could use them to force a window with certain attributes to always be on top. To be clear, this isn't a recommendation for bspwm, I'm just using it to illustrate why I think you'd be better off asking the your WM/DE's forums.

With my understanding of how these systems operate, Reaper wouldn't really have much control over how the window itself is presented, only the content inside it.

Hopefully this isn't too late to be useful.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:06 AM   #8
Soli Deo Gloria

No, it's not late at all! Thank you so much for the insight! That's really of help, since it points me to the right direction, I think. I see that it has to be an OS thing, and it makes sense after all. Since it puzzled me how the "always on top" option was greyed out in Reaper's window, I'll try that app you mention. In any case I 'll write to you, if you don't mind, to ask for help if I can't solve any particular difficulty.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #9
Soli Deo Gloria

I finally found the answer, and added it to the first post...