Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Zyn Fusion 3 in Linux : some important observations about its install procedure

During this latest reinstall of my system, I noticed something quite important about Zyn Fusion in Linux. Since the KX Repositories are the safest bet to get an up to date version of this magnificent software, I tried various ways of doing it during my Linux initiation.

First of all, for all Ubuntu Studio newbie users - like me - , it is good to remind that at least version 20.10 of the OS has the old Zynaddsubfx version pre-installed, which is a rather odd choice at this moment. Since it is not clear to me how well both versions get along with each other (or if the fact of installing Zyn Fusion simply upgrades the old Zyn), I opted to completely remove the old one before installing Zyn Fusion with the terminal command sudo apt-get remove zynaddsubfx .

Then, here comes the odd thing about Zyn Fusion's install :

According to Unfa, the Youtube guy with those great Linux for Audio tutorials, if you install KX Studio repositories by following their instructions on their site (https://kx.studio/Repositories), the command sudo apt-get install zynaddsubfx installs the latest Zyn Fusion version (it's worth noticing that this is simply the inverse instruction of what I previously did to remove the old Zynaddsubfx). The installation is certainly achieved, but something weird happens,at least here in Ubuntu Studio : Zyn Fusion crashes inexorably every time I try to add it to a Reaper track to play with it.

So, what happens? To cut a long story short, Zyn needs an additional install; a package called zynaddsubfx-data. The weird thing is that, while it is indeed offered in the plugins's section of the KX Studio page, when you download it right now (June 9, 2020) and try to install it, it says that it is no longer offered by the mantainer, or something like that. My intuitive solution was to simply type sudo apt-get install zynaddsubfx-data in the terminal and, voilá!, Zyn works as expected...

So, to summarize, the correct way to install Zyn Fusion 3 (at least by June, 2020), on Ubuntu derivatives at least, it is to install the KX Studio repositories with their instructions (linked above) and then type these two commands on the terminal :

sudo apt-get install zynaddsubfx
sudo apt-get install zynaddsubfx-data

Or, if you already downloaded the .deb file of Zyn Fusion from the KX Studio's plugin section and installed it, enter the second command in the terminal to install the necessary data for Zyn to show its GUI. The .deb file containing the data for Zyn doesn't seem to work right now.

I hope it can be of help for anyone facing the same issue.

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 06-09-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
JamesPeters

If you try adding zynaddsubfx via Synaptic, it automatically tells you that there are 3 other packages required (possibly more depending on whether you have other packages installed in your distro or not, compared to mine):

libfltk1.3
libmxml1
zynaddsubfx-data

I'd recommend not installing things from command-line unless you're really aware of what you're doing. I know we're all told in Linux "command line command line command line" but that, IMO is nonsense. Clicking is better. If you're really familiar with command line stuff, great, then it should work fine for you. If not, you can easily miss something like this.

You probably should've used:

sudo apt-get build-dep zynaddsubfx

(I just learned this today from here.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
If you try adding zynaddsubfx via Synaptic, it automatically tells you that there are 3 other packages required...

I did it with GDebi, which usually warns about needed dependencies and installs them automatically. Evidently, that function doesn't work 100% of the time, so I'll definitely take into account Synaptic for those tasks.

Quote:
I'd recommend not installing things from command-line unless you're really aware of what you're doing.

I completely agree. In fact, I always look first for a graphical solution regarding anything I have to do in Linux. In this specific case, the first time I installed Zyn was with the .deb files provided by KX Studio. It just happens that now the data file doesn't seem to work, and if you google the phrase "Zyn Fusion download", one of the first things you meet is the Unfa tutorial with the sudo apt-get install instruction. Hence, I covered both options in the first post above. In any case, I wanted to comment about the install issue, since neither the official page nor the other sources are clear at all about it.

Quote:

That is quite a good piece of advice... Thanks so much! I take note.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:59 PM   #4
SmajjL

Also, on Kubuntu, it has happened when installing Bitwig, Gdebi is just a >???< so, (open with) Discover, no prrrroblemo, guess same thing can happen with other stuff?

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #5
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Also, on Kubuntu, it has happened when installing Bitwig, Gdebi is just a >???< so, (open with) Discover, no prrrroblemo, guess same thing can happen with other stuff?

I see... Well, GDebi is plain easy to install things, generally. But if it gives any problem, I already have Synaptic installed... I think I'm covered by now...
Old 06-12-2020, 11:12 PM   #6
SmajjL

Yep, you seem like a fast learner also, you will be O K

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:

This doesn't work "out of the box" in Xubuntu (the distro in which I 'm finally settling, most probably). It asks the user to enter some things that I don 't quite remember right now (something like URs).

I have to say that in Xubuntu (as it doesn't come with the old Zynaddsubfx preinstalled), just by typing in the terminal :

sudo apt-get install zynaddsubfx

(after you have added the KXStudio repositories, of course, see above) it installs the latest Zyn Fusion without any problem. It's good to know that if it happens to load in Reaper without its GUI, you can always resort to :

sudo apt-get install zynaddsubfx-data

to complete the installation properly.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Held

Quote:

You generally shouldn't use this command, unless you plan on compiling the software yourself. You'll end up with hundreds of MB (if not a few GB) that you don't need taking up your disk space.

apt-get install usually installs all required dependencies automatically, and I've never had a problem with it.

It's most likely that the repository is configured incorrectly in this case.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for the clarification, Held. In fact, apt-get install has served quite well in most cases up to now...