Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Wine and LinVST on Ubuntu Studio : plugins show no GUI

[EDIT] : I changed the title of this thread to reflect more accurately whatś going on with this mess...

Strangely enough, I'm having some weird problem with Wine. On my first Ubuntu Studio install, I could install it and everything went just fine. I tried other distros to check for performance differences on my machine, but now every time I install Wine, when I load a Linvst-converted VST on Reaper, no GUI appears (for example, Synth1), although the instrument plays fine.

Before, when I typed in the terminal "winecfg" or "wine uninstaller", the GUI for those apps would run Ok. Now, if I type, for example, winecfg, the terminal shows this :

02e0:err:module:__wine_process_init failed to load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\wineboot.exe", error c0000018
02d8:err:environ:run_wineboot failed to start wineboot c0000018
02d8:fixme:actctxarse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
02e8:fixme:actctxarse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
02e8:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
02e8:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.

The only way to make winecfg appear is typing this :

WINEPREFIX=~/.new32prefix WINEARCH="win32" winecfg

[SIZE=3]The same applies for the uninstaller GUI, only doing it with a prefix
will work. Needless to say, I follow the steps in the Wine page to install wine (including
the enabling of i386 architecture), so I can't understand what is happening
here. Too many unnecessary difficulties for my taste, but I can't avoid
using Wine for now, so this is basically being a complete showstopper.

Any insight and/or newbie-friendly fix for this will be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 06-06-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
SmajjL

I had problems on Ubuntu Studio 20.10 daily myself with WINE when i tried it, but on Manjaro, this is all i do and Synth1 works.

Add/Remove (software) wine-staging 5.9-1

I run something .exe, in my case Native Access 1.12.1 Setup PC.exe and this will trigger a first time thing and WINE will detect that mono/gecko is not installed and install them for you, including the .WINE (hidden)

Back to Add/Remove and activate the AUR repo, install linvst 2.8.r35.blabla
Goto /usr/lib/vst/ and grab the linvst.so, copy that to the desktop since i know i will need more of them to be copy'ed

Grab the Synth1V113beta3.zip that has 64bit support, unpack and move Synth1 folder to (in my case of choice) /home/SmajjL/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Native Instruments/VSTPlugins 64 bit/VSTx64/
I Copy the linvst.so from the desktop i had prepared to the Synth1 folder in my .wine blabla-place and rename linvst.so to Synth1 VST64.so

In REAPER, you need to add folders as usual, point it to your what 'evs folder in .wine, you can right click REAPER's path (show files/dir beginning with a dot that is hidden in Linux .

That's is..

Ps, on Ubuntu Studio, i tried Discover and Synaptic to install, and those WINE is way older, did not go to their website and grab one if, that would make any diff..

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-06-2020 at 12:34 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivereto Esplorado

Location: Mi ne plu uzas REAPER kaj ne plu aktivas en la forumoj.

This, IMHO, is the best way to install wine-staging:

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...velopment.html (the correct installation process starts halfway through the article). Since moving to this method, my wine-staging has been rock-solid. Today I updated to v5.10 via the MXLinux updater and all is well.
Rivereto Esplorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
SmajjL

So, it all should work, i can only confirm that Synth1 works atm, but we have Ubuntu/Debian users here, if WINE did not work then the forum roof would lift off?
I'll try Riverto's tip on my next .deb visit
And, i was on a Dev daily build, who knows what they were up to..

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-07-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
4duhwinnn

For reference, in Ubuntu Studio 20.04 with wine stable 5.0,
and Ubuntu Studio 19.10 with wine-staging 5.9
I have the libfaudio0 dependencies listed in Synaptic properties panel,
dependencies tab, installed in

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

libstb0
libsdl2
libavutil56
libavcodec58

and libc.so.6 linked to libc-2.30 or libc-2.31

Both these setups are close to stock, and the wine-stable 5.0
works with more important plugins than the wine-staging 5.9

Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Soli Deo Gloria

Thank you all for your replies!

I managed to make it work on Ubuntu Studio now. While I cannot guarantee that my conclusions are 100% on spot, I think I have found the culprit...

First of all, this time I did a Clonezilla backup of a freshly installed Ubuntu Studio, with the most basic stuff installed and some aspects of the OS customized for my needs. I tried twice the Wine install. The first time, I followed the instructions for Ubuntu 20.04 in the article gently posted above by Rivereto. The terminal showed a lot of error messages claiming for unfetched files. Then, I restored Clonezillas's backup image and began the process again. Just in case, I turned to the Wine Downloads' page instructions but, based on my observations of the issues with Wine - both on Studio and Xubuntu -, I omitted just one step of the instructions. That is, the fcommand to enable i386 architecture :

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Without running this command in the first place, Wine installed just
fine. I run winecfg and immediately, and it asked for Mono and Gecko insta-
llation. When I followed the official Wine instructions from the page,
enabling the i386 architecture first, Wine seemed to install its 32-bit
version (which seemed to be proven by the fact that winecfg ran only
when I created a prefix for the 32-bit version, but otherwise it was
impossible to run anything.

Some expert could say, maybe, that this is all predictable and I should
have taken that into account. I, as a newbie in the Linux world, see it
in a different light, of course : the way the instructions are laid out
in the page, the i386 enabling seems to be suggested as a first step, thus
creating a potential mess for many users, as in my case. The instructions
are even explicitly directed to 64-bit users :

If your system is 64 bit, enable 32 bit architecture (if you haven't already): sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Download and add the repository key:
wget -O - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -

etc...

As far as I could see up until now, this seems to be the crux of many Linux applications
(and even some in the Windows realm) : ambiguous, unclear and unnecessarily
convoluted - for my taste, at least - installation processes/instructions.

These conclusions, as said above, are not set in stone, and could easily
be refused in the next days, but I think it must have something to do with
this.

I hope that, if someone meets a similar situation, this can be of help...
Old 06-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
SmajjL

Actually, i will give the Ubuntu Studio way one more shot, so all this will help me also

But coming from Arch-based Manjaro it all sounds abit O-M-G.. to me also, i did post how easy the steps where here.

But i guess all things is "easy" when you know what to do, i will try it One More Time and use Timeshift this time
Thanks

Old 06-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
But i guess all things is "easy" when you know what to do

Aaaallright-Y-then..

This time i went straight to their site
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
And did what they said:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -O - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main'
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging

And running Native Access worked just as with Manjaro after that, just doubleklick it, .wine will be created, all good'y

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-08-2020 at 11:32 PM. Reason: :)
Old 06-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #9
Soli Deo Gloria

So, you included the "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386" command first, and everything worked as expected? Here in Ubuntu Studio and Xubuntu, I did it on various machines and the i386 thing created a hell of a Wine mess (basically, as I said, a 32-bit install of Wine which just screwed me). More tests will be needed, of course, but it's interesting to note that, as a minimum, those set of instructions (and more specifically, the inclusion of the i386 one) are not reliable in all cases.

By the way, is your Manjaro 64-bit?
Old 06-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
SmajjL

Yes, because it said, if i'm on 64bit then, add this, so i did
Maby some dependencies is 32bit? so we need to add support for that manually? iii dunno
And i was on a fresh install, no previous WINE traces installed and, was on Kubuntu this time

my Manjaro is 64-bit yep
And i dooOo (by choice/habit/luck) tick the 32bit dependency stuff checkboxes on Manjaro even when installing through "Software/Synaptic" and the WINE itself is 64-bit, and this works, i do not question what works, i'm just, thank gaaaawd it works hehe

https://manjaro.org/download/ and on top menu you have user editions also, and i noticed that the pro-audio group with the familiar plug-ins is even in the normal repo

Now when i think about it, i have questioned why stuff works.. *caugh*

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-09-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
Glennbo

When I setup WINE for Windows plugins more than a year ago, the general consensus was that 64 bit WINE was somewhat buggy, so I used the "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386" command and the WINE prefix with all my Windows plugins is 32 bit.

Every app and plugin I have running in native Linux are all 64 bit as is the install of Xubuntu I use.

I wonder if this stuff enters the picture. I'm running Xubuntu 18.04, and will be building a new DAW soon, so I'll prolly run into some issues unless the backup of my WINE prefix has whatever is now missing in v20.04.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Ubuntu-32-Bit

-

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-09-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #12
SmajjL

Think even the all-mighty Steam reacted also, so Ubuntu later re-think'ed/compromized? and will keep some 32-bit, for a while longer.
But if it is almost impossible to find 32-bit computers even in the scrapyard but you can easy find 64-bit there? maby it is time, i think Debian will continue with 32bit support
And, Manjaro, no problemo, guess what their slogan is..

And Snaps/Flatpaks/Appimages and what have we, might be a solution for all Distros?

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-09-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Think even the all-mighty Steam reacted also, so Ubuntu later re-think'ed/compromized? and will keep some 32-bit, for a while longer.
But if it is almost impossible to find 32-bit computers even in the scrapyard but you can easy find 64-bit there? maby it is time, i think Debian will continue with 32bit support
And, Manjaro, no problemo, guess what their slogan is..

And Snaps/Flatpaks/Appimages and what have we, might be a solution for all Distros?
For me, Kontakt is about the only Windows plugin I still use, but I have a new project underway that is instead using six instances of LinuxSampler each on their own private midi bus to see if I can do the same kind of things as I would do in Kontakt. Limited availability of high quality samples is the biggest issue. LinuxSampler itself is quite capable.

So far, the project is very stable with LinuxSampler handling a four part horn section, grand piano, and strings with no trace of WINE or Windows plugins in the mix.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #14
SmajjL

You are ahead on me in that area can i replace then sure! and, i don't need all of Komplete 12 either, but i need to replace Machine Mikro MK2 for your AKAI or something else
But Kontakt have nice engines so i don't sound like 2 Unlimited from the 90's
although it worked out well for them

Ps, Manjaro has also let go of 32bit ISO's following Arch, and/but all works and i could tick 32bit boxes during install on WINE, dependency stuffs

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-09-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
You are ahead on me in that area can i replace then sure! and, i don't need all of Komplete 12 either, but i need to replace Machine Mikro MK2 for your AKAI or something else
But Kontakt have nice engines so i don't sound like 2 Unlimited from the 90's
although it worked out well for them

Ps, Manjaro has also let go of 32bit ISO's following Arch, and/but all works and i could tick 32bit boxes during install on WINE, dependency stuffs
I don't see LinuxSampler as being a replacement for Kontakt, but any time I can use something native Linux vs. something bridged and running in WINE, I'll do it.

I hear that the AMD B550 boards will finally start popping up around the 16th, so when that happens I'll be building a new DAW with a fresh install of Xubuntu, which hopefully will go smooth.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #16
SmajjL

So, no waiting for Ryzen4? and by then, let's wait for Ryzen5, never ends

Gen3 should be in the Kernel by now "issue free" i hope
Humongous chance that i'm going all AMD next round also

Old 06-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #17
Glennbo

Quote:
So, no waiting for Ryzen4? and by then, let's wait for Ryzen5, never ends
The 3700X is what I've planned to go with for many months now. Just been waiting on a chipset that supports some of the new things it can do, but didn't want a wheezy little fan in my DAW.

Quote:
Gen3 should be in the Kernel by now "issue free" i hope
Humongous chance that i'm going all AMD next round also
Asus finally has B550 mobos on their page, and they support Dual M.2, PCIe 4.0, which is what I was holding out for. I built my current DAW in 2009, and I plan on getting similar miles out of a new one. This mobo is one I'm leaning toward. Look ma! No steenking little whiny fan on the chipset.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B550M-A/
Old 06-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #18
SmajjL

Over ten years, time for a treat! here i come, watch out people (c) Glennbo
Surely you will notice a positive difference

Old 06-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #19
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
When I setup WINE for Windows plugins more than a year ago, the general consensus was that 64 bit WINE was somewhat buggy, so I used the "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386" command and the WINE prefix with all my Windows plugins is 32 bit.

Every app and plugin I have running in native Linux are all 64 bit as is the install of Xubuntu I use.

I wonder if this stuff enters the picture. I'm running Xubuntu 18.04, and will be building a new DAW soon, so I'll prolly run into some issues unless the backup of my WINE prefix has whatever is now missing in v20.04.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Ubuntu-32-Bit

-

Well, without the i386 command, I'm now running Wine Staging x64 without any issue on Ubuntu Studio. You have to try it out when you have the new machine (and it would be optimal if you create a Clonezilla backup before installing Wine), but I don't think you'll have any problem...

Quote:

Snap apps at least, as far as I can see with the preinstalled ones in Ubuntu, are still unbearably slow the first time you run them. The install process tends to be also extremely slow, compared to a .deb install. It will probably be a great concept in the future, but for now it's just too buggy for my taste. I'm sistematically avoiding Snaps until these issues are tackled and they perform reasonably well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
For me, Kontakt is about the only Windows plugin I still use, but I have a new project underway that is instead using six instances of LinuxSampler each on their own private midi bus to see if I can do the same kind of things as I would do in Kontakt. Limited availability of high quality samples is the biggest issue. LinuxSampler itself is quite capable.

So far, the project is very stable with LinuxSampler handling a four part horn section, grand piano, and strings with no trace of WINE or Windows plugins in the mix.

Apart from Linux Sampler (for instruments that don't need any ADSR tweak), I began to put RS5K to good use with Sfz orchestral instruments - most notably the VSCO 2 and Virtual Playing Orchestra-. I created a track template with 127 instances of RS5K, with the Attack and Release modulated by their corresponding CCs (73 & 72). I never thought about it, but it ends up being a flexible sampler, if one feels like assembling each needed instrument. With a template, it is far less work than I thought, also.

As I work with more and more bridged instruments like Kontakt, I 'll be posting my conclusions in the forum. For now, the perspective is quite good, but more real-life scenarios are needed to put the performance to test.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Well, without the i386 command, I'm now running Wine Staging x64 without any issue on Ubuntu Studio. You have to try it out when you have the new machine (and it would be optimal if you create a Clonezilla backup before installing Wine), but I don't think you'll have any problem...
When I build my new machine I might try creating a new wine prefix that is 64 bit, but since I have a backup of my entire 32 bit wine folder that I should be able to drop onto a new machine and get functioning is short order, I'll likely use it if it works as I'm expecting. I've reinstalled Xubuntu from scratch on the same machine and it worked just copying my backed up wine folder.

What I don't know for sure is if plugins that are installed in wine see your physical hardware to make a machine ID or if since it is running in a virtual Windows so to speak, do they only see wine to come up with a machine ID. Guess I'll find out soon whether I will have to re-authorize all my plugins. If I do, I'll try to do it in a 64 bit wine environment.

Quote:
Apart from Linux Sampler (for instruments that don't need any ADSR tweak), I began to put RS5K to good use with Sfz orchestral instruments - most notably the VSCO 2 and Virtual Playing Orchestra-. I created a track template with 127 instances of RS5K, with the Attack and Release modulated by their corresponding CCs (73 & 72). I never thought about it, but it ends up being a flexible sampler, if one feels like assembling each needed instrument. With a template, it is far less work than I thought, also.
I was not aware that RS5K could load SFZ instruments, and will have to look into that. Only thing I've ever used it for was to try out a drum kit that someone else made.

Quote:
As I work with more and more bridged instruments like Kontakt, I 'll be posting my conclusions in the forum. For now, the perspective is quite good, but more real-life scenarios are needed to put the performance to test.
Bridging Kontakt while bridging other stuff like Superior Drummer 2, Native Instruments B4 organ, FM7, Arturia MiniMoog V, and Toontrack Piano Essentials never stresses out my machine, but I never have more than maybe 10 bridged instruments in one project.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #21
Soli Deo Gloria

We'll, regarding RS5K, no, it doesn't load Sfz... I take the audio files from the libraries and assemble the instruments in it. As I commented, I previously thought it was not viable to do such a thing, but in my quest for a free alternative synth-like sampler, with the aid of a good template, I come to the conclusion that it's not only feasible but a very good sample player/mangler for live use. I use Kontakt, right now, for studio projects. For the live-oriented ones, RS5k abd Linux Sampler are an excellent tandem for my taste. And in Linux, I don't have to worry about activations, the number of available installs across different machines and all of that. Just freedom... And, if you tweak the instrument ADSR envelopes, VSCO 2 and VPO 3 are a wonderful resource for live playing. I save the great Kontakt libs (LASS, CineSamples et all) for other kind of projects. As I work with them in Linux, I'll be posting my observations regarding their performance, too.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #22
Glennbo

I dragged and dropped some SFZ files onto RS5K and managed to get some bizarre and really low pitched noise from it. I guess that would work for raw samples, but not so much for dropping SFZ files.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #23
Soli Deo Gloria

Yes, I use raw samples with it. I'll share my template if you want. It's quite viable to assemble instruments with it...
Old 06-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:
Yes, I use raw samples with it. I'll share my template if you want. It's quite viable to assemble instruments with it...
I appreciate the offer, but I use so few virtual instruments that Kontakt really has me covered. I'm using LinuxSampler on my current project sort of as a test, but Kontakt's samples are higher quality across the board compared to the freebie SF2/SFZ files I have.

Most likely the only instrument I might use LinuxSampler for on future projects would be the Yamaha grand piano sample that's on the LinuxSampler web page. I setup a track template for that so I can insert it into projects ready to play or record.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #25
Soli Deo Gloria

Yes, obviously, regarding the sheer quality/quantity of libraries, Kontakt has no comparison with anything else on the market. But, for certain scenarios (I'm thinking about live situations, but many other examples could be given for sure), many quality Sfz libraries such as VSCO, VPO, Piano In 162 and other similar stuff can give surprinsingly good results if they're treated/tweaked/processed and performed with care. And, the ease of moving around, copying carelessly here and there, using without activation and installing wherever you wish to - not to talk about the size of data itself - has also no comparison with the heavyweights of Kontakt. Regarding orchestral stuff, if I have to move around LASS, all the CineSamples stuff and Cinematic Studio Strings, to give an example of things I own, I need a lot of space and time to copy + the activation process which is a hassle in itself. Hence, the Sfz option is great as a light setup to work everywhere, even on an old notebook as I sometimes need to.

Anyway, if you ever need to do some heavy work with RS5k, just write and I 'll share it with you.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #26
Glennbo

Quote:
And, the ease of moving around, copying carelessly here and there, using without activation and installing wherever you wish to
And that one is HUGE. Activations and copy protection schemes are things I'm not looking forward to for my next build.

Quote:
Anyway, if you ever need to do some heavy work with RS5k, just write and I 'll share it with you.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:10 AM   #27
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo;2301202

[url
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B550M-A/[/url]
micro ATX! and finally someone that don't put the SATAs under the GPU, but i got a feeling you will stick with the iGPU?
Curious what case you are going for.

Quote:

Snap apps at least, as far as I can see with the preinstalled ones in Ubuntu, are still unbearably slow the first time you run them. The install process tends to be also extremely slow, compared to a .deb install. It will probably be a great concept in the future, but for now it's just too buggy for my taste. I'm sistematically avoiding Snaps until these issues are tackled and they perform reasonably well.
Me also Manjaro have all three as an option, but their main repo covers so much and have the mighty AUR, you can always Google what Linux Mint think of Snaps

Old 06-12-2020, 07:13 AM   #28
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
...you can always Google what Linux Mint think of Snaps

I imagine... Those Snaps are just painful to use, to say the least. I can't conceive how Canonical - and I guess other partners as well - has been forcing a product that it 's way far from being ready to be distributed on a massive scale (if massive is the right word for the Linux desktop environment, anyway). Traditional installation packages will be the norm for me, at least until Snap is really mature and efficient.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #29
Glennbo

Quote:
micro ATX! and finally someone that don't put the SATAs under the GPU, but i got a feeling you will stick with the iGPU?
Curious what case you are going for.
My currrent 11 year old machine has the same layout with the SATAs. I'll be using my existing case which I put a 500w PS in about a year ago. It's like this one.

And I'll be moving my existing GTX460 video card to the new board too.

The board from my current DAW will be upgrading my MythTV server from an old Core2 Duo that was my previous DAW, which is in an HTPC case like this.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:05 PM   #30
SmajjL

Ohh, never thought a Glenboo would be on a Nvidia (closed source) but you might not be using Linux when you got it
*Intel/Nvidia myself..

Not that i intend to juggle-practice with the computer.. but i am thinking about smart-factor, compact'ish for my next one.

That MythTV thing'e, can that snap up Jimmi Kimmel, Conan O'Brian legally? that's what a Swede in a swede-seat wants to know..

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-12-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #31
Glennbo

Quote:
Ohh, never thought a Glenboo would be on a Nvidia (closed source) but you might not be using Linux when you got it
*Intel/Nvidia myself..
I'm Intel/Asus/nVidia for now.

Quote:
Not that i intend to juggle-practice with the computer.. but i am thinking about smart-factor, compact'ish for my next one.

That MythTV thing'e, can that snap up Jimmi Kimmel, Conan O'Brian legally? that's what a Swede in a swede-seat wants to know..
What I use MythTV for is I have a tuner farm with four of these HDHomerun dual HDTV tuners, and my Myth server acts as a whole house DVR for over the air channels. Kodi clients run on Raspberry Pi's and connect to the MythTV server.