Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Ubuntu Studio : Liquorix doesn't appear on Grub menu

I installed the Liquorix kernel on Ubuntu Studio 20.10 with the official installation instructions. After the sudo update-grub thing and reboot, it doesn't show at all on the Grub menu. I tried Boot Repair and the Grub customizer, but even there I can only see the Linux low latency kernels. If I check the installed kernels with dpkg --list | grep linux-image, I can see it there :

ii linux-image-5.4.0-26-lowlatency 5.4.0-26.30 amd64 Signed kernel image lowlatency
ii linux-image-5.4.0-33-lowlatency 5.4.0-33.37 amd64 Signed kernel image lowlatency
ii linux-image-5.6.0-18.1-liquorix-amd64 5.6-20ubuntu1~focal amd64 Linux 5.6 for 64-bit PCs
ii linux-image-liquorix-amd64 5.6-20ubuntu1~focal amd64 Linux image for liquorix on 64-bit PCs
ii linux-image-lowlatency 5.4.0.33.38 amd64 lowlatency Linux kernel image

Is it "unsigned"? (Whatever that means?) How do I make Liquorix to appear on the Grub menu in order to boot from it? This is quite frustrating, since I need to test that Kernel to see if I can improve the performance with Kontakt.

Thanks so much in advance.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
poplomop

Is it under a submenu? ("Advanced options" I think.)
poplomop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
lilith93

I installed it yesterday because of xruns in Bitwig and it appeared directly in Grub using Debian 10. Have you looked at the forum?

https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2779.html

The dev is very helpful and answers quick.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #4
Soli Deo Gloria

I'll write to him during this week. At least, I want to try it once to see if it makes any significant difference in my setup....
Old 01-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
wilcofan

did you contact the dev? I tried installing this kernel in Ubuntu Studio 20.04 and it also won't show up in Grub.
wilcofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:49 AM   #6
jjcale_guitar

In the instructions you've read - did it say "sudo update-grub" ?

Seems to me that that's whats missing.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #7
Soli Deo Gloria

I did update the grub many times, but it never showed up... Anyway, I finally moved to Manjaro, and its stock kernel seems to be much better for realtime tasks than even Ubuntu's lowlatency one (mainly due to being the 5.10 version, which includes some substantial improvements).
Old 02-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #8
Biscuit Trolley

In case anyone else looking for the answer comes across this, you can add an extra entry in your custom grub section. Ubuntu's instructions are here, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/CustomMenus

The way to do it is just to edit a text file in /etc/grub.d
This is a set of text files which contain the instructions for grub to use when booting. It's strongly advised not to change anything in here except the custom files, which are there for this purpose. Go to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and open it as root with whatever editor you like.
Can't remember off the top of my head whether there's a template in there initially or if it's empty. If it is empty, copy one of the entries in one of the other files and just replace the relevant kernel names/numbers. I use ls /boot and just copy paste from the filenames.

You might also need to edit a few lines near the top of /etc/default/grub to let your grub boot menu show. This is pretty self-explanatory, but there's plenty of documentation on it if you're unsure. Putting default=0 means your default is the first option in the list. You want to make sure the menu isn't hidden and that the timeout is something non-zero. Then when you boot it should prompt you to choose a kernel.

Once you've done those things, update-grub, and it should work.
Biscuit Trolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #9
shosty

Did you approach the Liquorix team about this issue? It seems very odd that you have to edit grub manually. I have installed Liquorix (and others) on many machines and have built my own kernels in lots of distros over the years, ranging from ubuntu to gentoo, and I have never had to edit the grub manually.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #10
Biscuit Trolley

It's because I'm using a 3rd Gen Focusrite Scarlett interface. The drivers aren't in the mainline kernel yet so I have to use patched kernels. If I install normal kernels it's fine but this seems to be needed for custom installation. I think there is a way to compile the kernel that spits out a .deb file that installs like normal but I haven't gotten it to work yet.
Biscuit Trolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #11
PMS67

Hi,

the problem is caused by a buggy mod introduced only in the "studio" flavor of Ubuntu (AFAIU meant to favor the "lowlatency" kernels over the standard ones). The mod consists of the file "/etc/grub.d/09_lowlatency", and the lack of executable bits on the "10_linux" file in the same folder.

To solve the problem, get rid of the file "09_lowlatency" (delete it, move it elsewhere or just remove the exec bit from it), make "10_linux" executable, run "update-grub", and all of your installed kernels will appear on the grub menu.

That is, open a terminal and give the following commands:
Code:
sudo -s
cd /etc/grub.d/
chmod -x 09_lowlatency
chmod +x 10_linux
update-grub
exit
done.

That's all, folks! :-)
“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”
PMS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:15 PM   #12
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for the tip! I'm not in Ubuntu Studio anymore, but this will surely be of help for other people...
Old 02-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #13
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
I did update the grub many times, but it never showed up... Anyway, I finally moved to Manjaro, and its stock kernel seems to be much better for realtime tasks than even Ubuntu's lowlatency one (mainly due to being the 5.10 version, which includes some substantial improvements).
Just an FYI--the Zen Kernel in Arch (including Arch, EndeavourOS, Manjaro, etc), has the same patches as Liquorix. So you may be experiencing Liquorix kernel performance in your Manjaro (provided you used the Zen Kernel option when installing Manjaro.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:31 PM   #14
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
Did you approach the Liquorix team about this issue? It seems very odd that you have to edit grub manually. I have installed Liquorix (and others) on many machines and have built my own kernels in lots of distros over the years, ranging from ubuntu to gentoo, and I have never had to edit the grub manually.
Perhaps the Liquorix repository location wasn't added to the package manager settings?
Old 02-17-2022, 03:38 PM   #15
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMS67 View Post
Hi,

the problem is caused by a buggy mod introduced only in the "studio" flavor of Ubuntu (AFAIU meant to favor the "lowlatency" kernels over the standard ones). The mod consists of the file "/etc/grub.d/09_lowlatency", and the lack of executable bits on the "10_linux" file in the same folder.

To solve the problem, get rid of the file "09_lowlatency" (delete it, move it elsewhere or just remove the exec bit from it), make "10_linux" executable, run "update-grub", and all of your installed kernels will appear on the grub menu.

That is, open a terminal and give the following commands:
Code:
sudo -s
cd /etc/grub.d/
chmod -x 09_lowlatency
chmod +x 10_linux
update-grub
exit
done.

That's all, folks! :-)
Very cool! Great tip!!

Personally, I prefer the independence of using a regular distro and configuring it for low latency myself, rather than depending on a specialized audio distro whose development could go dormant. Plus, specialized distros sometimes add weird stuff like this issue being mentioned. And then there's the bloat of all of those programs that you don't use or want (including all of the JACK stuff). It's fine for those new users getting their first taste of Linux, but I wouldn't want to use it myself.