Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-22-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Bizarre BUG : Podolski and Diva break JS Volume/Pan smoother V5 (?????)

Yes, as strange as it reads on the title : I have all U-he freebies and Diva installed on Ubuntu Studio. I came to notice it while trying out Podolski and Diva, but it could happen with other instruments. Say I put TyrellN6 on a track, and after it an instance of the JS Volume/Pan Smoother V5 (accurate auto). For now, everything is fine :

BUT, if I put Podolski or Diva together with the same JS Fx, see what happens :

It's broken (!). I don 't even know how can this be possible, but it is, given what I 'm seeing right now. I don 't know if the culprit is to be found in Reaper or the instruments themselves, but I begin by reporting it here, and I 'll write to U- he devs if necessary.

I'll test it on Windows as soon as I can, but I'm afraid it will probably be a Linux thing. I hope it can be fixed, since Podolski is such a GREAT instrument itself...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
PMan

Default Very Strange

I tried this with Podolski, and it did not behave as you describe.

My machine is 64 bit, stock Ubuntu 19.10, and the latest Reaper release.

That kind of thing happens with me when I have a parameter automated. Just guessing but:

- Does it matter which plugin you add first?
- Try touching the volume, then click the Param button, and see if there is anything checkmarked in there.
- Try putting the synth after the volume plugin, just to see if that makes any difference
- Does this happen with any other JS plugin? with the other controls on the volume/pan plugin?

Really wierd. Also, what version (build number) of the U-He plugs are you using? The version number is in small print on the right hand side of the name "Podolski" I have version 9775

hth
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
Soli Deo Gloria

Hi Pman, and thank you very for your reply! I 'll answer all of your inquiries, one by one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
That kind of thing happens with me when I have a parameter automated.
In this case, I 'm testing with stock JS plugins, without any automation...

Quote:
- Does it matter which plugin you add first?
Yes, definitely. If I add a JS plugin first and then Podolski, that first JS instance remains well, without any alteration. All subsequent FXs appear as broken. Once the damage is caused, it doesn't seem to matter where you put anything. Even on a different track, Podolski breaks the JS effects inserted after it.

Quote:
- Try touching the volume, then click the Param button, and see if there is anything checkmarked in there.
When I touch the Volume/Pan Smoother's volume control, it appears as "last touched" in the Parameters section.

Quote:
- Try putting the synth after the volume plugin, just to see if that makes any difference
As I commented above, once Podolski (or Diva) is placed anywhere, it doesn't seem to matter where you put the subsequent JS Fxs. Everything I have tested so far seems to be broken to some extent.

Quote:
- Does this happen with any other JS plugin? with the other controls on the volume/pan plugin?
Apart from the already mentioned plugin, I tried with Witti 's volpan_mono plugin, which I always use. Something strange happens there :

- The width has a 0.1 to 100.1 range (instead of the usual 0-100)
- The Pan has a -100.1 to 100.1 range
- The Pan Law shows a -6.6 to 6 range
- The Volume presents a -60.24 to 24 range (really weird)

Loser's Goniometer shows a black screen while trying to analyze Podolski's audio output. Hence, JS seems to be deeple affected in my setup, which is absolutely bizarre.

Quote:
Really wierd. Also, what version (build number) of the U-He plugs are you using? The version number is in small print on the right hand side of the name "Podolski" I have version 9775
I also have the 9775 version, which I downloaded from KVR's Linux builds page.

What could be causing this havoc? Something running in the background on my Reaper's setup? I have a customized theme, but with Reaper 6 Dark theme, it gives the same results. I can't realize what could be the culprit of such a crazy anomaly. I'll test this on Windows 7 and post here the results...
Old 06-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
PMan

You might want to post you issues in the U-He forum at KVR Audio:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=292

That's their official support forum.
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #5
Soli Deo Gloria

I will! I only hope they pay attention to the report, since the plugs themselves seem to work fine; the damage is on the JS side, which is out of their scope. Anyway, I'll write to them.