Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #761
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrabua View Post
In case anyone ever thought "Would be nice to have a graphical manager application for the various LinVst bridges...", then this might be interesting to you:
So after installing this and giving it a spin, I just wanted to say this thing is AWESOME. So good. For those of you using LinVST this is pretty much a must have.

@Westrabua do you have a donate link anywhere?
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #762
clepsydrae

Thanks Westrabua! That looks awesome. Glad to see that kind of effort happening. Is it your creation?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #763
Westrabua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
So after installing this and giving it a spin, I just wanted to say this thing is AWESOME. So good. For those of you using LinVST this is pretty much a must have.

@Westrabua do you have a donate link anywhere?
Thanks Klangfarben for the feedback and giving it a try! Nice to see it being helpful to others.
Oh wow, haven't thought about this until now, but sure. I've added one to my signature (and github).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Thanks Westrabua! That looks awesome. Glad to see that kind of effort happening. Is it your creation?
Thanks clepsydrae for the feedback! Yeah, I'm actually the developer. I guess it's a bit confusing that my name on this forum is Westrabua, but on github it's Goli4thus. It's just that I've had this account for such a long time now. Anyway, I've added some info on that to my signature.

Furthermore I wanna mention that I had a really dedicated beta tester on github (keybreak), who actually pushed me quite a bit with his unusual setup of over 2000 VSTs. So the fact that this application is at the point it is now is also partly due to his feedback and testing.

A.k.a Goli4thus (on github). Donate

Last edited by Westrabua; 03-06-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Westrabua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #764
Klangfarben

Quote:
I've added one to my signature (and github).
Donated!

Quote:
Furthermore I wanna mention that I had a really dedicated beta tester on github (keybreak), who actually pushed me quite a bit with his unusual setup of over 2000 VSTs. So the fact that this application is at the point it is now is also partly due to his feedback and testing.
Um, someone is running over 2000 Windows VST plugins in Linux with LinVST? And has them all working?? That's both impressive and frightening.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #765
clepsydrae

Quote:
Donated!
Same! I hope all linux users will support efforts to make it easier for everyone.

Quote:
Um, someone is running over 2000 Windows VST plugins in Linux with LinVST? And has them all working?? That's both impressive and frightening.
That's, like... most of the VSTs! (probably not, I know...)
Old 03-07-2020, 01:47 AM   #766
Westrabua

Quote:
Donated!

Thanks, really appreciated!
Well, from some local analysis we did on his collection I know for a fact that the number is over 2000. How many of them he actually uses on a regular basis I don't know.
But he did start a project of his own some time ago in an attempt to collect "compatibility" data for lots of VSTs.
https://github.com/keybreak/linux-vs...atibility-list (see the "Project page" link).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Same! I hope all linux users will support efforts to make it easier for everyone.

That's, like... most of the VSTs! (probably not, I know...)
Thank you too!
Yeah, most likely not all due to the sheer number of VSTs ever created.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #767
Klangfarben

Quote:
Thanks, really appreciated!
Well, from some local analysis we did on his collection I know for a fact that the number is over 2000. How many of them he actually uses on a regular basis I don't know.
But he did start a project of his own some time ago in an attempt to collect "compatibility" data for lots of VSTs.
https://github.com/keybreak/linux-vs...atibility-list (see the "Project page" link).
Ok, that's insane. Going to try and get in touch with him to add some tested plugins to this because that is by far the most complete tested list I've seen to date.

So, just a question about LinVST Manager. You are able to use multiple bridges at the same time without issue? I'm using Manjaro and when installing LinVST from the AUR it only lets you install one version at a time of the 4 versions (LinVST, LinVST-X, LinVST3 and LinVST3-X). If you try and install another version it deinstalls the others. I'm assuming this is just a mistake by the person adding LinVST to the AUR, but just wanted to make sure.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #768
Westrabua

Quote:
So, just a question about LinVST Manager. You are able to use multiple bridges at the same time without issue? I'm using Manjaro and when installing LinVST from the AUR it only lets you install one version at a time of the 4 versions (LinVST, LinVST-X, LinVST3 and LinVST3-X). If you try and install another version it deinstalls the others. I'm assuming this is just a mistake by the person adding LinVST to the AUR, but just wanted to make sure.
I'm on Manjaro myself, but I've never installed Linvst (including any of its versions) using the AUR. I've always download official releases from github or cloned the master branch.

I just gave it another look.
Technically is definitely possible to install all four versions alongside each other at the same time, because osxmidi named their associated install files all differently.
I currently have all 4 versions installed by using the "manual install" method described on github.

I also had a quick look at the PKGBUILDs regarding all four bridges.
- linvst2.git: conflicts=('linvst' 'linvst-stable' 'linvst2x')
- linvst2x.git: conflicts=('linvst' 'linvst-stable' 'linvst2')
- linvst3.git: conflicts=('linvst3x')
- linvst3x.git: conflicts=('linvst3')

I suppose the maintainer of those AUR packages might simply not be aware that all those versions can coexists alongside each other and be used at the same time.
Furthermore it's not like he is renaming any "output files" from the build. So it might really just be a matter of removing those "conflicts" lines.

EDIT:
I've just sent the maintainer of those packages an email regarding that circumstance.

Last edited by Westrabua; 03-07-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #769
clepsydrae

Quote:
Yeah, most likely not all due to the sheer number of VSTs ever created.
That would be an interesting number for someone to estimate...
Old 03-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #770
Klangfarben

Quote:
I've just sent the maintainer of those packages an email regarding that circumstance.
Man, thank you so much! I was about to do the same. Yeah, the only reason I get LinVST from the AUR is 1) someone seems to be keeping it very much up to date and 2) I get notifications when there are updates so I can update everything right in Pamac, which is pretty convenient.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:41 AM   #771
Westrabua

Quote:
Man, thank you so much! I was about to do the same. Yeah, the only reason I get LinVST from the AUR is 1) someone seems to be keeping it very much up to date and 2) I get notifications when there are updates so I can update everything right in Pamac, which is pretty convenient.
Good news: The maintainer of those packages already updated those packages as suggested and as a bonus created a package for LinVstManager as well.
So that should be even more confinient for Arch/Manjaro users right now.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:43 AM   #772
SmajjL

Ah-ha!.. Massive X prefer if you run it as a dedicated process, who-ho! it works

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #773
lilith93

Not sure if this is a Linux bug:

Make midi item, draw notes, split item, copy, glue item.
Result: notes are not on the same level:

Version 6.09.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #774
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I can't reproduce that behaviour with 6.10. I haven't tried 6.09.
Thanks. I posted in the wrong section. I will check 6.10
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 AM   #775
Aries1985

Default VST3 Naming

Hello guys,
thank you for this thread! I am considering migration to Linux from Mac and this is a well of wisdom.

Westrabua, thank you for the LinVstManager. It is great!

If I might, two questions / or maybe feature requests:
- If there is only one wrapper configured (e.g. LinVst but not LinVstX), would it be possible to automatically select the wrapper upon adding a new plugin? Just a convenience nitpick.
- When adding VST3 plugins, would it be possible to convert them without adding [vst3] to plugin name? Not sure if this is related to LinVstManager or LinVst. It happened to plugins from Analog Obsession (on Patreon, free to download).

The second request is for easing the migration of projects.

In the RPP file, there is plugin name and also plugin library. It seems that when REAPER does not find the library, it searches for plugin by its name and if found, it loads it and feeds it configuration data, which is correct.

When having project from Mac and having effect there, there is path to file with .vst3 extension. When opening it on Windows, it can have .dll extension and it is still loaded.

When installed for example ValhallaRoom through wine, it seems to work fine, as it does not have the [vst3] part in name and REAPER is able to load it. However, for plugins from Analog Obsession, REAPER fails to load them, although it sees the converted plugins with [vst3] in name.

Appreciate your work and support. And many thanks to Cockos for having REAPER available for Linux as well.

Once migrated to Linux, I'll also port my two device support libraries to Linux as well.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:11 AM   #776
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries1985 View Post
Hello guys,
thank you for this thread! I am considering migration to Linux from Mac and this is a well of wisdom.

- If there is only one wrapper configured (e.g. LinVst but not LinVstX), would it be possible to automatically select the wrapper upon adding a new plugin? Just a convenience nitpick.
- When adding VST3 plugins, would it be possible to convert them without adding [vst3] to plugin name? Not sure if this is related to LinVstManager or LinVst. It happened to plugins from Analog Obsession (on Patreon, free to download).

The second request is for easing the migration of projects.

In the RPP file, there is plugin name and also plugin library. It seems that when REAPER does not find the library, it searches for plugin by its name and if found, it loads it and feeds it configuration data, which is correct.

When having project from Mac and having effect there, there is path to file with .vst3 extension. When opening it on Windows, it can have .dll extension and it is still loaded.

When installed for example ValhallaRoom through wine, it seems to work fine, as it does not have the [vst3] part in name and REAPER is able to load it. However, for plugins from Analog Obsession, REAPER fails to load them, although it sees the converted plugins with [vst3] in name.

Appreciate your work and support. And many thanks to Cockos for having REAPER available for Linux as well.

Once migrated to Linux, I'll also port my two device support libraries to Linux as well.
If you want to remove the [vst3] from the name, then search for getName() in lin-vst-server.cpp

Then alter (put // at the beginning of the line)

if(strlen(buffer) < (kVstMaxEffectNameLen - 7))
m_name = m_name + " [vst3]";

to

// if(strlen(buffer) < (kVstMaxEffectNameLen - 7))
// m_name = m_name + " [vst3]";

and then make it (instructions are on the LinVst3 Github page).

Same sort of thing also applies to LinVst3-X.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:21 AM   #777
Aries1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
If you want to remove the [vst3] from the name, then search for getName() in lin-vst-server.cpp

Then alter (put // at the beginning of the line)

if(strlen(buffer) < (kVstMaxEffectNameLen - 7))
m_name = m_name + " [vst3]";

to

// if(strlen(buffer) < (kVstMaxEffectNameLen - 7))
// m_name = m_name + " [vst3]";

and then make it (instructions are on the LinVst3 Github page).

Same sort of thing also applies to LinVst3-X.
Thank you - for this advice and also for LinVst!

I'll change it and will try opening the project again to see if it fixes the compatibility problem for me.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #778
Westrabua

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks for the feedback!
Sorry for the late reply. Somehow wasn't subscribed to this thread.

Anyway, I just had another look to make sure, but that's actually what the "Defaults" setting within Preferences dialog is intended to do.
Whatever you have set as a default i.e. for VST2 (LinVst or LinVst-X) will be the default bridge assigned to newly added VSTs.
If you only have one bridge setup for VST2 (i.e. LinVst), then that should automatically be the default bridge for new VSTs added.

If you think there's a bug, it would be helpful to get a detailed description of what you are doing to get that unintended behaviour.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #779
pax-eterna

Quote:
In case anyone ever thought "Would be nice to have a graphical manager application for the various LinVst bridges...", then this might be interesting to you:

https://github.com/Goli4thus/linvstmanager

Tried to install this but everytime I enter the cmake .. command I get....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:31 (find_package):
By not providing "FindQt5Widgets.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
"Qt5Widgets", but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Widgets" with
any of the following names:

Qt5WidgetsConfig.cmake
qt5widgets-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5Widgets" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
"Qt5Widgets_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If
"Qt5Widgets" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
been installed.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 AM   #780
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Tried to install this but everytime I enter the cmake .. command I get....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:31 (find_package):
By not providing "FindQt5Widgets.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
"Qt5Widgets", but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Widgets" with
any of the following names:

Qt5WidgetsConfig.cmake
qt5widgets-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5Widgets" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
"Qt5Widgets_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If
"Qt5Widgets" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
been installed.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

That error happens when the libraries in the Readme are not installed.

The libraries need to be installed first before running cmake.

For Debian it's

sudo apt install cmake gcc g++ git qt5-default (see the Readme for other distros)

then

mkdir build && cd build
cmake ..
make -j4
sudo make install
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #781
pax-eterna

thanks -would that work for Ubuntu as well?
Old 06-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #782
pax-eterna

okay, done all of the above, changed into the correct directory, but still getting all the messages about this file does not exist or that folder does not exist, blah de blah - I have double checked syntax and that these files are indeed in the downloaded folder but this thing refuses to do anything!!!
Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #783
pax-eterna

for example the instruction calls for creating a build folder,changing to that folder then running cmake BUT when I do that I get the message "linvstmanager-1.0.2/build" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt."

This file is indeed in the linvstmanager directory but NOT in the build directory???

It is all so confusing
Old 06-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #784
Glennbo

Quote:
okay, done all of the above, changed into the correct directory, but still getting all the messages about this file does not exist or that folder does not exist, blah de blah - I have double checked syntax and that these files are indeed in the downloaded folder but this thing refuses to do anything!!!
The very reason I blew off ever trying to compile anything but my own source code. Not one thing I've ever attempted to compile on Xubuntu has finished with success. I don't want a shitload of stuff I don't need on my machine either, so I always seek out a compiled, drop it in place and it works version of whatever it is I'm trying to get and use. I'd rather be working on music!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #785
pax-eterna

Okay, finally got it sorted - the instructions were a little off...firstly it showed cmake .. when the correct command (in eOS) was cmake . and further the make dir build is redundant as the cmakr command worked in the linvstmanager folder directly without the need to mkdir build.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #786
Westrabua

@osxmidi: Thanks for giving support!

Quote:
Okay, finally got it sorted - the instructions were a little off...firstly it showed cmake .. when the correct command (in eOS) was cmake . and further the make dir build is redundant as the cmakr command worked in the linvstmanager folder directly without the need to mkdir build.
The actual build instructions should work on all distributions the same. It's only about installing the right dependencies (as osxmidi pointed out above), whose names can differ between distributions.

And here's a quick rundown of that 'cmake ..' command.
The double dot '..' means "one directory up from the current one".
A single dot '.' means "the current directory".
This applies to any distribution you might be running in general, so it doesn't hurt to know about it.

You are right about that one can run cmake in the base directory without that 'build' directory just fine.
The reason why one would prefer to create a 'build' directory and then run 'cmake ..' (which basically says "cmake, please run and look one directory above for your 'CMakeLists.txt' file"), is that by doing so, all the files created during the build process itself are then stored within that 'build' directory, away from the actual source files.

So it's not so much about it wouldn't "work" without that build directory, but more about it keeps your source files etc. clean of any temporary build files.
Without using the 'build' directory (like you've done yourself), you simply end up with all files in the same base folder mixed together. That's about it.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #787
ToadsMcGroads

Quote:

https://github.com/Goli4thus/linvstmanager
Thank you so much for this! Been banging my head against the wall the past few days trying to get LinVST to work.
ToadsMcGroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #788
Aries1985

Default Plugins working

Hello people,
after some time, I have machine for Linux that I try to use with Windows plugins.

Having tested individual plugins and combinations of few of them, following plugins I tried and they work:

- Analog Obsession's SSQ and YALA (supposedly all of his plugins should work)
- KORG M1 (might need mfc42 installed through winetricks)
- Klanghelm VUMT
- Tokyo Dawn Labs - tried TDR Limiter 6 GE, SlickEQ GE and Nova GE - when registering, they crash REAPER. However, when started again, they are registered and work well.
- Valhalla Room and Valhalla Delay - work flawlessly

I am really amazed!

I have yet to test if plugin settings are loaded correctly. All of them are VST2, so it should not be a problem.

@Westrabua Would it be possible to add option to LinVstManager to not ask about orphaned plugins?
Currently, I have a folder, where I put Linux VSTs (like Zebra) along the generated ones. If I accidentally click Yes, then it removes the native ones.

However, I could just have the Linux native plugins in different folder, so no big deal. LinVstManager is a great help!

Last edited by Aries1985; 12-04-2020 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added Klanghelm VUMT
Aries1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:27 AM   #789
4duhwinnn

Hi, I can never get the Korg M1 registered, with or without
over-rides, so it works for 20 minutes til needing to be removed and reloaded.

Did the registration regimen begin when you first loaded the plugin? I have tried M1 1.7, 1.8 and 2.x Details of your wine and linux setup would be helpful.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #790
Westrabua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadsMcGroads View Post
Thank you so much for this! Been banging my head against the wall the past few days trying to get LinVST to work.
Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Hello people,
@Westrabua Would it be possible to add option to LinVstManager to not ask about orphaned plugins?
Currently, I have a folder, where I put Linux VSTs (like Zebra) along the generated ones. If I accidentally click Yes, then it removes the native ones.

However, I could just have the Linux native plugins in different folder, so no big deal. LinVstManager is a great help!
You already came up with the answer yourself.
Having a dedicated folder for the VSTs handled by LinVstManager was indeed the intended usecase all along. But I gotta admit that I hadn't made that clear enough in the README. The README has been updated regarding this.

And if done that way, there's no real reason to have orphan detection disabled, because if anything is being detected, it indicates that indeed something is off about the LinVstManager setup. The reason why orphan detection was added is that during development I experienced some edge cases that should simply be avoided.
Keeping that link-folder "clean" seemed the best solution to achieve stability without needless complexity.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #791
taji

Default sendVstTimeInfo with LinVST (Sync plugins to Host)

FYI: If anyone is interested, looks like OsxMidi has addressed host sync issues for LinVST. Essentially I'm using Plogue Bidule VST (windows) as a modular host inside Reaper via LinVST and with the latest patch build the built in bidules (step sequencer, sync extractor, etc) are now able to follow Reaper's transport changes.

I would imagine this would affect any windows plugin that needs bpm information, playback state, etc and would include sequencers, delays, some drum machines.

He's rolling the fix into the next release. See here for details:

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/issues/172
taji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #792
taji

Default JS4 Running Under Linux Reaper in Ubuntu Studio with yabridge

In case anyone is interested, I have Jamstix 4 running under Reaper Linux. Details are here:

http://rayzoon2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=49492#49492
Old 08-05-2021, 05:31 AM   #793
taji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
FWIW, I do see the GUI if I run native access with primusrun, so the black window is due to some problem with the intel driver. After several crashes native access has updated itself and it has even downloaded the fm8.iso. Don't have much time to spend on this, but will try again when I find some.
Hi Jack, can you give me the exact command line you used for running primusrun, wine and Native Access? Having the same issue on Pop OS, but can't figure the exact syntax.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:26 AM   #794
PMS67

Default yabridge

AFAIK "yabridge" is currently the newest, most complete and most actively developed "wrapper" which allows to use VSTs for windows on a Linux host. It does support both VST2 and VST3 (AFAIK, to date it's perhaps the only one to support VST3 too).

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge

Please update the first post of this topic to include it too... that would be helpful for newcomers.

Caveat: yabridge requires a quite up-to-date version of wine. The version provided by default by many current Linux distribution (such as Ubuntu 20.04) is too old and will not work (wine update via a 3rd party repository is required).
“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”
PMS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:05 AM   #795
Smaasten

Can anyone of you help me with installing the yabrigde? From the very beginning. Im on ubuntu studio
Smaasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:24 AM   #796
ToeJam76

Hi there Smaasten.
It's all there on page and in the readme, but for starters the initial steps are:
1. grab latest release https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...e-3.6.0.tar.gz
2. make a folder in /home/your_user/local/share/yabridge and extract the package
3. open a terminal there and start it ./yabridgectl
4. add the plugin paths for example: ./yabridgectl add '/home/your_user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/'
5. ./yabridgectl sync to make the plugins usable for reaper.
6. it's go time

You need wine installed of course, preferably wine-staging (6.20 works)and definitely read the included readme which is very indepth and there's a lot more to yabridge like individual plugin configs and drag&drop support for reaper etc pp. I've probably forgot something, but good luck anyway

Last edited by ToeJam76; 11-03-2021 at 02:34 AM.
ToeJam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:07 AM   #797
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam76 View Post
Hi there Smaasten.
It's all there on page and in the readme, but for starters the initial steps are:
1. grab latest release https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...e-3.6.0.tar.gz
2. make a folder in /home/your_user/local/share/yabridge and extract the package
3. open a terminal there and start it ./yabridgectl
4. add the plugin paths for example: ./yabridgectl add '/home/your_user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/'
5. ./yabridgectl sync to make the plugins usable for reaper.
6. it's go time

You need wine installed of course, preferably wine-staging (6.20 works)and definitely read the included readme which is very indepth and there's a lot more to yabridge like individual plugin configs and drag&drop support for reaper etc pp. I've probably forgot something, but good luck anyway
My recommendation is to not create ~/.local/share/yabridge yourself and manually move the files there, but to just extract the contents of the archive to ~/.local/share. Otherwise you'd run the risk of ending up with a ~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridge which obviously won't work.
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:27 AM   #798
ToeJam76

Robbert-vdh is right of course. It has been a while since I installed it.
Another little thing, to remove de-installed plugins enter: ./yabridgectl sync --prune and rescan in Reaper.
ToeJam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:36 AM   #799
royleith

Default Yabridge

I have been using Carla in VST Rack and standalone since I moved to Reaper on Linux. It has continually improved and is very effective. I was updating an old machine from Reaper in wine to Linux Reaper when I noticed that the LV2 plugins that relied on Carla, now appear directly in Reaper v6.46. This may be old news as I am rather single minded when using Reaper.

I visited this thread to give the good news and discovered LinVST. I could not get it working, possibly because my Kubuntu distribution uses an old version of wine. It created the .so files, but they failed to load in Reaper.

I, then, discovered Yabridge which requires an upgrade to wine-Staging v7.x (fairly easy to install). The installation of Yabridge is simplicity itself and does not require files copied to system folders.

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge (Choose from the RELEASES to get the binary)

Follow the brief Readme.md instructions and you should be fine. I had problems because I knew what I was doing and skipped a couple of key points.

From the command line (Konsole, in my case) one runs
yabridgectl add <path>
to each of the VST and VST3 folders in wine and then
yabridgectl sync
to create the Reaper scannable versions.

When you update yabridge, you just run the sync command once more.

The modded VSTs scan and load in Reaper quickly, even the ones with samples, like MSoundfactory and MDrummer.Every VST3 and VST I have tried has appeared in Reaper.

I really am spoilt for choice with both Windows and Linux VSTs and LV2s, but I still have the Carla rack if I need DSSIs or LADSPA.

I, now, need to generate multiple favourite folders in fx. Otherwise, searching the plugins is a real challenge.
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:22 PM   #800
Garrick

Loving the yabridge!
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote