Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Superior Drummer setup in Linux

I've been tweaking up a Superior Drummer 2 kit using only Linux plugins for all FX, and thought I'd share this test. Superior is the only Windows plugin for this setup. The purpose of this is so I can jump on my V-Drums and have a Superior kit ready to play and record something. The plugins I used on this are from OverToneDSP and all native Linux. I'm into them for almost a hundred bucks now, but I really like their plugins.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-17-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Glennbo

I just used the new Ludwig/Superior drum kit on this project I finished up today.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13864825
Old 04-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
4duhwinnn

Well, Steely Dan can retire in peace, knowing
a very similar sound and quality lives on.
When I heard the guitar,
I forgot all about the drums, so at least you know
they fit in the mix, carried things forward, and
at pro quality. Inspirational!
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Glennbo

Thanks for taking time to listen.

I get a laugh at these posts about the Linux version of REAPER not being ready for prime time, coz it sure ain't stopping me from recording.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks for taking time to listen.

I get a laugh at these posts about the Linux version of REAPER not being ready for prime time, coz it sure ain't stopping me from recording.
When they post that kind of things what I read is "I can't use all my fancy Windows plugins so therefore I can't work because I don't know how to use stock plugins".
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
When they post that kind of things what I read is "I can't use all my fancy Windows plugins so therefore I can't work because I don't know how to use stock plugins".
Thing is though, I was able to get all the fancy Windows plugins I use on a regular basis running in WINE and bridged with LinVST, so I'm not missing anything I used in Windows. It didn't set itself all up though, and there was a fairly steep learning curve initially.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:30 AM   #7
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thing is though, I was able to get all the fancy Windows plugins I use on a regular basis running in WINE and bridged with LinVST, so I'm not missing anything I used in Windows. It didn't set itself all up though, and there was a fairly steep learning curve initially.
To be honest it wasn't for me but I've been using Linux for around 10 years now. But I know that someone coming from Windows will have problems.

I think the best option for people coming from Windows is to stick to a distro created specifically for audio production like Avlinux (Which is what I'm using at the moment) and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

I have transferred most of my Win plugins to LinVst and I'm quite happy. I even managed to create some drum kits (thanks to Kenny Gioia) using the samples from my old copy of BFD.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
To be honest it wasn't for me but I've been using Linux for around 10 years now. But I know that someone coming from Windows will have problems.

I think the best option for people coming from Windows is to stick to a distro created specifically for audio production like Avlinux (Which is what I'm using at the moment) and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

I have transferred most of my Win plugins to LinVst and I'm quite happy. I even managed to create some drum kits (thanks to Kenny Gioia) using the samples from my old copy of BFD.
I've only been using Linux for about 10 months and the biggest hurdle for me was figuring out how to do stuff I knew how to do in Windows. A bit of searching on the internet always provided the answers, and now I feel equally comfortable on either.

That said, Linux is still more geeky and requires more hands on to get the same performance as Windows. Not just with audio either. It took me about three months of trying different search terms every now and then to finally find the fix for my hot rod nVidia video card to just play full screen video and not have screen tearing when the camera pans and everything in the shot is moving.

One day I found that adding these three options to xorg.conf finally fixed the screen tearing and video is now about like it was in Windows.

Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
Option "AllowIndirectGLXProtocol" "off"
Option "TripleBuffer" "on"
Old 06-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
Pinknoise

Hello ! I have superior drummer 2 working with Linvst but I'm trying to make superior drummer 3 work.

It works as a standalone using pulseaudio (crackling audio) but Reaper hangs when trying to load the plugin version through Linvst. Did you guys found a way to make it work ?
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Hello ! I have superior drummer 2 working with Linvst but I'm trying to make superior drummer 3 work.

It works as a standalone using pulseaudio (crackling audio) but Reaper hangs when trying to load the plugin version through Linvst. Did you guys found a way to make it work ?
I don't have Superior Drummer 3, but does it have both VST2 and VST3 versions, or just VST3?
Old 06-18-2020, 05:06 AM   #11
Pinknoise

Actually I only tried the vst version maybe there is a vst3 somewhere on the c drive I'll look into that.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #12
PMan

Default Nice track!

Nice track, Glennbo! All of it, the production, the music, the lyrics, good stuff!

I'm a big fan of OvertoneDSP plugins too (I have 5 of them). I especially like the PTC-2A.

Thanks for sharing your music and your Linux insights.

~P
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
Nice track, Glennbo! All of it, the production, the music, the lyrics, good stuff!

I'm a big fan of OvertoneDSP plugins too (I have 5 of them). I especially like the PTC-2A.

Thanks for sharing your music and your Linux insights.

~P
Thanks PMan. The two Overtone DSP plugins I seem to use the most are the plate reverb RVB500 (great on drums and vocals), and Fairchild FC70. The two Pultecs I've used on bass and guitar to make certain frequencies pop out more.