Old 05-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default JACK and System Audio

While I've tried various recipes from the web, I still can't get JACK to allow simple things such as Youtube videos and other system audio stuff to sound while it is connected. The default connections in Ubuntu Studio are these :

So, it seems that audio should pass gracefully through Jack, as I see it. But no, even streaming itself won't begin until JACK is disconnected. I tried various scripts with JACK's startup, but no way. Any tip, people? My setup has the following settings :

Thank you in advance!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Typically browsers use PulseAudio, and what I've done is used things like this to route pulseaudio into JACK:

https://github.com/brummer10/pajackconnect

Hope it helps!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
lilith93

According to this site it should all be installed. Maybe you just have to activate the Pulseaudio bridge:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...StudioControls
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Peevy

I have it working so I can jam along to backing tracks on youtube.
Check the execute script after startup with:
Code:
pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2; pactl load-module module-jack-source; pacmd set-default-sink jack_out
in the box to the right.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
cfillion

Make sure REAPER is not configured to auto-suspend PulseAudio in Preferences > Audio > Device.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #6
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks everyone for the complementary replies!!!

Ubuntu Studio had it enabled by default, indeed. By following the link provided by Lilith93, I realized that I had to check in the "Open Pulse Control" section of Ubuntu Studio Controls that Firefox's audio stream was sent to Jack Sink (PulseAudio Jack Sink) instead of the hardware audio interface.

That's all! Very nice modular environment, by the way. I just had to connect myself both channels of PulseAudio Jack Sink to Reaper's inputs to be able to capture system's sounds - great! -.

It's good, though, to have alternatives described in this thread for those who use other distros. If anyone wants to add anything to this, it will certainly be welcomed. I am interested in learning, little by little, how things work in Linux, apart from copying the recipes to solve things in the moment...
Old 05-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
s wave

I use PAVU for routing or recording my PCs audio output. (alsamixer gui is good too) And I do like to keep it MODULAR TOO! It is nice to spend a day on a burner pc to experiment with pulse/alsa/jack routing... don't forget there is 2 KINDS of Jack - check which one you have...https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaud...ce_jack1_jack2 when you start actually getting your arms around the permutations of routing and how the basic theory works - it gets fun. Always remember how invasive pulse can be (but it doesn't have to be) I learned most by just trying each component (alsa/jack/pulse etc) and experimented every which way I could. Pushing the limits. What I actually found was how amazing Jack was... and how I could hook up multiple keyboards or synths and actually loop them back into each other - while I could simultaneously use may keyboards... these types of breakthroughs are the payoff when you spend a day or 2 in a personal 'lab' on a burner pc.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:00 AM   #8
Soli Deo Gloria

I have Jack 2 preinstalled on Ubuntu Studio. As you say, itś probably a necessary tep to experiment with different settings (I'm using my own installation for some cautious experimenting, but will probably test more adventurous things on a live install. And yes, the modular capabilities are truly mind-bending!
Old 05-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #9
sbungay

Default Jack Audio and Reaper's disconnect habit...

I'm using Linux Mint 17.3, Jack2, Cadence, Catia, and Jack_Mixer.

Using Jack Mixer to control the Microphone input levels to Reaper MOST of the time (perhaps 60%) it all works; but Reaper will randomly vanish from the Jack, break all of it's connections, and when it comes back it "forgets" how it was connected. It defaults to "Capture 1 & 2" for input and refuses to allow Catia to route it. This is not just annoying, it's a show-stopper.

Reaper needs to play nice, not vanish from Jack's view, and if it does, remember how it was configured and attempt to reconnect in the same manner.

Anyone else experience this kind of thing?
sbungay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #10
SmajjL

A quick Google noise told me that Cadence can/could override Jack/conflict? (maby/theory) and why not only use Jack then blabla, and the patchbay can save blabla.. *noise* hope i was lucky, i'm not spiderman..

Not using Jack myself as you can hear
Seed of thought, you will know what to do with it, theory, and together, we are strong.

Ok.. i need sleep ...

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-29-2020 at 10:15 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #11
sbungay

Default Persisting connection state...

The "vanishing reaper" can be handled by unchecking the Audio preference "Close audio device when audio device is stopped and application is inactive".

Using the patch bay, while not as pretty as Catia and not as simple to follow does indeed work and the connections can be persisted. OK, so all appears to be working as expected, just getting a grip on the how it all hangs together and using the somewhat clumsy UI of the patchbay. But that's OK! It works, and it appears to work quite well.

Happy happy.
sbungay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #12
SmajjL

Yeah, most important to get your stuff to work, now you can also in peace look into what is up with getting Carla/Cadence to work if, you feel like it, when you feel like it, good'y!

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #13
s wave

I use newer Mint and do not use carla or catia. I am happy with using Jack Alsa Pulse... and easily switch them around - and do not have a need for Jack mixer. I do have Alsamixer and PAVU to get everything done that I need. Solid as a rock. Never crashes or has any problems. The only potential problem is unplugging interface with Reaper running. Which means - just have to re-boot that's all.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #14
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I use newer Mint and do not use carla or catia. I am happy with using Jack Alsa Pulse... and easily switch them around - and do not have a need for Jack mixer. I do have Alsamixer and PAVU to get everything done that I need. Solid as a rock. Never crashes or has any problems. The only potential problem is unplugging interface with Reaper running. Which means - just have to re-boot that's all.

Ubuntu Studio has its own control app which seem just fine, at least for now. Catia, nevertheless, is a beautiful GUI for Jack connections, so I have it installed. I realized, after installing Ubuntu Studio from scratch, that it indeed bridges Pulse and Jack out of the box - the first time I used it, I must have somehow altered any setting somewhere -. Anyway, all of these posts are useful to gain insight about Linux's possibilities in the audio realm, so, thank you, s wave and the other users, for all the replies. Things are doing just fine with Linux by now...