Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Linux and sample streaming in NTFS, FAT32, etc...

Continuing my pursuit for an optimal performance for Kontakt, and samples in general (Linux sampler, Reasamplomatic, whatever), let me ask you something regarding disk access and sample streaming : is it the same to have the sample libraries in a NTFS partition? Or a FAT32 one? Or do they have to be exclusively in a Ext4 partition to have an optimal streaming performance? I assume, given that Kontakt via Wine can access any of my SSDs with sample libraries (all NTFS, since they come from my Windows install), that I won't be forced to move them to an Ext4-formatted disk, or even copy everything to my Home folder, which would be a real hassle. Am I wrong? I hope I am not, and any partition type can give the same performance rate for sample streaming...

Thanks in advance!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Glennbo

I don't know how other configurations might perform, but my own system uses an Ext4 partitioned 250GB SSD for Linux, and the entire "drive_c" for WINE is also on it, which includes Kontakt and all it's sample content.

A second 250GB SSD in my DAW partitoned for NTFS has my old Win7 install, where Kontakt and all it's sample content is also on that SSD.

Lastly, both Xubuntu and Win7 share a 1TB old school HD for all audio track and project file data. So on my system, all Kontakt sample data is on SSDs whether in Win7 or Xubuntu, and all audio data for REAPER on both OSs is on a spinning HD. My projects are audio track heavy and neither Xubuntu or Win7 ever has any hint of stress with 24-30 audio tracks.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
Soli Deo Gloria

Hi Glennbo!

So, you effectively put Kontakt's libraries in your Wine/C:/ directory, inside your home folder... Can Wine perform well also outside of its C:/ environment? Although I 'm testing things here and there, I ask because it could mean saving time instead of trying out things that are not prone to perform well. Also, at least in my case, taking my samples to the Wine C:/ folder means moving more than 1 Tb of content around, which is not exactly an easy move...
Old 06-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
Glennbo

Every Windows plugin I have installed with sample content, like Kontakt, Superior Drummer, EZ-Drummer. EZ-Keys Piano Essentials, Etc., I installed them all using their default locations for samples, so they all ended up in my wine folder.

For me that works out real well, because a copy of my wine folder, which is about 32GB on my backup, can be placed on a fresh install of Xubuntu and it all works after running winecfg to set my copied folder as the active wine prefix.

I would expect that accessing sample content located on a different physical drive than the one wine is running from probably wouldn't be a bottleneck. Wine can see all the same drives that Linux sees, and it's Linux that's doing the real nuts and bolts communication. I would recommend trying it with your samples where they currently sit.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
Soli Deo Gloria

I'll certainly do it as you say, Glennbo, since it is indeed the most reasonable way to do it for my case. I'm having a better sample performance right now with a sample rate of 44.1 instead of 48, as I was formerly using, but that will need a dedicated thread to discuss, I think...