Old 06-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Project with LinuxSampler

I finished the project I was working on that has multiple instances of LinuxSampler, each on their own midi bus for horns, strings, and piano. Got to use my new sooper fun to play Talman bass on it too.

It's 22 tracks and 74 100% Linux FX with no WINE and no bridging.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14063629
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #2
Soli Deo Gloria

Great tracks Glennbo! Very solid music with excellent performances! Congratulations! And knowing that is 100% made in Linux has an added value in itself. Feel free to comment about the Linux Sampler instruments and other details of the project.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:57 AM   #3
vitalker

How did you make this 80's sound?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Great tracks Glennbo! Very solid music with excellent performances! Congratulations! And knowing that is 100% made in Linux has an added value in itself. Feel free to comment about the Linux Sampler instruments and other details of the project.
Thanks!

There were five instruments being played using LinuxSampler, the first being that great free Yamaha grand piano in .gig format from the LinuxSampler web page. The piano was the first track to go down playing to a scratch drum beat. I played and recorded the bass and some scratch drums once I had sketched out the song on piano.

Once the framework of the song was sketched out, I added the horns and strings using LinuxSampler. For those I used soundfonts, because although I have some horns and strings in .gig format, they don't sound as good. Here's a screen grab of Qsampler, which I use as the front end to load and manage samples for LinuxSampler.

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-26-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:51 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
How did you make this 80's sound?
I did it by being born in the late 50s and then learning to play multiple instruments in the 70s. I'm sure there are other ways to do it too!
Old 06-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I did it by being born in the late 50s and then learning to play multiple instruments in the 70s. I'm sure there are other ways to do it too!
Haha, but really? What do you add or what equipment do you use?
Old 06-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Haha, but really? What do you add or what equipment do you use?
Oh, I thought you were pulling my leg. Most of what makes the sound on this is from just playing real drums, real bass and real guitars. The fake instruments are the horns, strings and piano.

My guitar tracks (and my friend's solos) are run through a Digitech RP7 tube preamp into an Orange tube guitar amp that powers a twin 12" Gretsch speaker cabinet I have in the closet of my studio, and I keep a Sennheiser MD421 large diaphragm mic setup on it permanently so I can turn it on and am ready to record.

Basses are plugged into a Digitech BP200 bass amp modeling pedal which stays on an SWR model with an eight 10" speaker cabinet model. That is then plugged in permanently to another input so it's always ready to turn on and record.

The acoustic drums have five dedicated channels/mics and use two Audio Technica AT2020s for overheads, a Shure Beta 52 on kick, a Shure SM58 on snare, and a Rode NT1 for room. Also pre-mixed and ready to record.

As for FX, I use a lot of the same stuff on most of my tracks, usually with ReaEQ as the first in the chain, followed by ReaComp, and usually ending with PressWerk which is my absolute favorite plugin because of it's extreme flexibility with dynamics and saturation. I use PressWerk's saturation to tone down parts that have brittle or sharp edges, and since it can be added either globally, based on dynamics, or to add warmth it makes it easy to find a sweet spot where the part can be heard clearly, but doesn't stick out in the mix.

A few other of my most used plugins are OverTone DSP's RVB500 plate reverb and their FC70 Fairchild compressor. Another one I like and use a lot is the Sonic Anomaly Leet Delay, which I like because you can make each regeneration have different color than the original signal so they don't fight each other. That's pretty much it for FX I use both on a regular basis and were used on this project.

Here's a screen capture of the finished project with all the FX that were used.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:59 AM   #8
SmajjL

Nice! Glennbo, a tad of Huey Lewis in you

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:04 AM   #9
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post

My guitar tracks (and my friend's solos) are run through a Digitech RP7 tube preamp into an Orange tube guitar amp that powers a twin 12" Gretsch speaker cabinet I have in the closet of my studio, and I keep a Sennheiser MD421 large diaphragm mic setup on it permanently so I can turn it on and am ready to record.

Basses are plugged into a Digitech BP200 bass amp modeling pedal which stays on an SWR model with an eight 10" speaker cabinet model. That is then plugged in permanently to another input so it's always ready to turn on and record.
Yeah, I think that is the reason. Thanks for the looong description.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Yeah, I think that is the reason. Thanks for the looong description.
No problem. I've tried amp simulations and never was happy with the sound, so I still use a mic on a speaker powered by an amp.

Bass is a simulated amp, but I'm OK with it's sound and being a hardware pedal, it uses zero amount of CPU, just like my guitar rig.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Nice! Glennbo, a tad of Huey Lewis in you
Thanks SmajjL!

I like a few Huey Lewis songs. My friend Phil Cody wrote the lyrics for their song "Doing it all for my baby".