Old 06-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #1
Pinknoise
Human being with feelings

Default Motu ultralite firewire

Hello ! I'm building a secondary pc and planning to use my old motu for this build. I first tought I would need ffado/jack to make it work but came across a post saying it could work with alsa.

I'm testing Linuxmint 20 beta for this. My guess is it would work right away with kxstudio but I don't like the huge installation since I only use a small part of it.

Other thing, if I need ffado I there is like 15 different options coming up in synaptic wich is the right one ?

Anybody made motu work and how to do it today with the smallest possible moves/installation ?
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
Pinknoise
Human being with feelings

I got it working through Jack. I installed multimedia-firewire from synaptic and all the dependencies that come with it.

Jack would'nt see the Motu only by doing this you need these extra steps found here: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=19429

To blacklist ALSA firewire so you can run FFADO do this:
- Add line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:
blacklist snd_dice
- update initramfs and reboot your system:
$ update-initramfs -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.30-rt41-avl2

The "update-initramfs -u" command regenerates /boot/initrd.img-XXX which is used in booting to tell which modules to load. You do not want snd_dice to load. If "lsmod | grep snd_dice" still shows something then you have not blacklist snd_dice. After snd_dice is disabled you can select the "firewire" driver in qjackctl to use FFADO.

Not sure if this was the best solution but it works, it seems Alsa does not see Motu Ultralite Mk1.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote