Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Linux lowlatency and Wine Staging updates : Native Access not installing

Ubuntu Studio updated (with my approval) the Linux low latency kernel to 5.4.0.39. Also, Wine Staging was updated to 5.11.

When I first ran a project with Win plugs today, Wine-mono was again installed. As Reaper loaded the FXs before Wine ended its configuration, the first load was unsuccesful. Afterwards, everything went fine and I haven't noticed anything strange, except for... Native Access not installing and hung up in the process (!).

I tried to install it again today, since I had reverted my system with a Clonezilla image due to some previous experiments with AV Linux (nice distro, but I prefer Ubuntu Studio for now). I did the msvcp140.dll override - set to native, then builtin) and set Winecfg to Windows 10. That was ll needed to install it before, but now I can 't.

If I type winecfg, I get this :

002c:fixme:winediag:__wine_start_process Wine Staging 5.11 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:__wine_start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
INTEL-MESA: warning: Ivy Bridge Vulkan support is incomplete
INTEL-MESA: warning: Ivy Bridge Vulkan support is incomplete
0050:fixme:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySetting sEx Changing non-primary adapter L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY2" settings is currently unsupported.

I don 't remember the warning lines from before.

Should I revert something (Wine, for example) to its previous version? If so, which is the cleanest, best way to do it?

Thanks in advance!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
Peevy

Sometimes a wine update can break things when this happens I usually role back to the previous version of wine-staging. A similar thing happened to me a while back were NA wouldn't work or the IK custom shop app. Not sure how this is done on Ubuntu.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
Klangfarben

Yeah, unfortunately Wine updates tend to often break things. I mean, I realize some stuff can get broken on an update but with Wine you can pretty much count on something getting broken with a new update. It's really frustrating.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
osxmidi

I had a Kontakt install problem.

I changed to Windows 10 in winecfg and it seemed to work but I don't think that's the whole answer, I think that sometimes the Kontakt install is a bit hit and miss.

I know that some Wine alterations have altered Wine's cmd, so it doesn't hurt to install winetricks cmd (to workaround possible cmd problems that can cause hangs).

Also, import Waves.reg into the registry (regedit) which sets up some basic paths that Wine doesn't include.

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/tr...ed-VST-Plugins

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/tree/master/Waves

Last edited by osxmidi; 06-26-2020 at 10:29 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:04 AM   #5
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Yeah, unfortunately Wine updates tend to often break things. I mean, I realize some stuff can get broken on an update but with Wine you can pretty much count on something getting broken with a new update. It's really frustrating.
We all can define our baseline of productivity, where we stop updating
the OS, and just use the fundamental music tools. In my case, since
U-he, KV331, and IK products work in general, the trio of
Native Access, Reaktor, and Kontakt are my baseline, they work in my
Ubuntu 19.10, and 20.04, so wine and kernel in those will not be updated,
nor things like core system libs, or major version releases
to the graphics driver, system gui, or LinVst. The focus shifts to
auditioning and using the sounds. When the OS itch attacks...twitch,
twitch twitch, I'll set up something other than ubuntu, a puppy,
arch, or avlinux etc on an external drive.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:22 AM   #6
Soli Deo Gloria

Well, I see that Wine updates are really a delicate issue. Now I'm having to seek out for a reasonably friendly way to revert to 5.09, which just worked. Anyway, if someone has a simple, straightforward tip for doing it, you can leave it here. I'll see then if it matches the one I -hopefully found - in the meantime...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 06-27-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Anyway, if someone has a simple, straightforward tip for doing it, you can leave it here. I'll see then if it matches the one I -hopefully found - in the meantime...

As usual, the plethora of recipes to revert Wine don't seem to work at all - or I can't get them to work in a reasonably straightforward way -. Deb packages don't install, neither in Gdebi nor Synaptic. PlayonLinux installs the older version, but it seems to be confined to its own environment (wine --version in the terminal shows 5.11 anyway).

Pure Wine hell...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 06-27-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:22 PM   #8
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Well, I see that Wine updates are really a delicate issue. Now I'm having to seek out for a reasonably friendly way to revert to 5.09, which just worked. Anyway, if someone has a simple, straightforward tip for doing it, you can leave it here. I'll see then if it matches the one I -hopefully found - in the meantime...
There are a few steps to do, and none carved in stone,
as your current setup has become fluid.
Make sure you are backed up, and copy your .wine folder
to some external place.

Look in synaptic settings-->preferences-->General,

Untick the box that says 'consider recommended packages as dependencies.'
In Settings-->Preferences-->Repositories, untick any KX repos (for now)
In Settings-->Preferences-->Files tick the box to 'leave downloaded files in the cache'

Restart, and reload synaptic. If you still have have wine-staging 5.11 installed,
Mark all the 5 wine-staging items for re-installation', so you can get them
saved in your /var/cache/apt/archives. Next, mark them for removal.
(Hopefully, it won't insist on installing a plain ubuntu wine as part of
the operation.)

If that plain ubuntu wine has been installed, untick the wine-staging repository,
restart and reload synaptic, search for wine, and mark all installed wine items
for removal. Apply the operation, and use a file manager to verify no wine folders
or libs exist in any lib folder, and also in /opt

Reboot, and hopefully you will have a system totally free from any wine

At this point, I would re-enable wineHQ repo,
and install the stable 5.0 of wine-staging,
and see what runs, then add any over-rides you are used to including.
Kontakt6 and Reaktor6 work OK in stable here, with a few over-rides.

(if your /var/cache/apt/archives folder has the older 5.9 working files,
you might be able to put the .debs in a new folder, and command
something like sudo dpkg -i --force *.deb)

Someone with a cloud storage might be able to hold the
.debs for download, if you can't get them. Source tarballs
are at wineHW if needed.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
4duhwinnn

also, NI have a tool to remove a chosen NI product from
the registry, clearing the way for a re-install in a damaged
situation. It has worked for me.

https://support.native-instruments.c...ssues-Windows-

Cheers
Old 06-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #10
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks so much, 4duhwinnn! I haven't had any time to try any of this yet. I'll probably be able tomorrow to see if I can solve any of this...
Old 07-01-2020, 12:20 AM   #11
osxmidi

I followed my own advice for once and installed Kontakt 6.10.

I don't usually use Kontakt that much but I decided to see if it would install on an old slow core 2 duo with 2gb and running MX Linux Debian Buster which I use for testing some things.

I'm using Wine-Staging 5.11 and I had Windows 7 selected in winecfg.

I imported the LinVst Waves.reg file into the registry using regedit.

I made sure winbind was installed.

I know that some Wine patches have altered cmd so I installed the Windows cmd by downloading winetricks off of Github and changing into the src folder and running ./winetricks cmd

I then installed Kontakt 6.10 and used the default vst paths and didn't install any other plugins except for vst.

I had no problems with the install.

I then wrapped the Kontakt 64 bit vst with LinVst and it loaded up in Reaper.

I then loaded the Salamander Piano Disk Streaming version (and enabled reverb) and played a midi file and it showed around 20% to 30% cpu with no cpu spiking and my Reaper audio setup was using Alsa and the Core 2 Duo's inbuilt audio (not that great) at 48khz 128 samples 3 periods and 5.3ms latency.

My rt setup is basically similar to the LinVst Realtime-Configuration notes except that I think I just installed Ardour and it pops up a checkbox when installing Jack for rt and I checked that and it was then setup.

Installing QjackCtl or jackd2 does the same rt setup thing if jack isn't already installed (if someone doesn't want to install Ardour).

I have had the Kontakt periodic 100% spiking routine once when I didn't have my rt setup when using Manjaro and then I set it up (I think I just installed Ardour as above) and the 100% spiking went away.

Going to 100% can be because of other things and it can depend on what effects are active and even hardware problems etc etc and Windows and Mac users can also get the 100% problem (do a Google search).

With LinVst or other wrappers that use Wine, it's never going to be just like Windows in terms of performance.

I am running the Debian rt kernel as well.

It all seemed ok for a single instance of Salamander Grand Piano (with reverb on) on an old and slow Core 2 duo.

Last edited by osxmidi; 07-01-2020 at 04:21 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:20 AM   #12
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for the insights, osxmidi! I reported the Wine bug to its developers, who found that it was a duplicate of another known issue :

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48455

It seems to wreck some installers on some setups, hence, you don't seem to have any problem but I do certainly have it. For now, this is too much of a convoluted mess for my to go on with it. I 'll wait to see if it is ironed out by the devs. I'll probably try again to use Kontakt in Linux, but most probably will also install Win 7 again and keep it mostly offline on a dual boot fashion, to use Kontakt, Omnisphere and some other specific things there. There is too much pain for now with the Native Instruments/Linux combo, and I'm already working with many, many things in Linux which work flawlessly. Sooner or later I'll probably end up working with NI things in Linux, but for now I need to go on with music itself.

Thanks for all the info and your work; I'll write to you privately if I meet any difficulty with Linvst.