Old 03-20-2023, 03:15 PM   #1
777funk
Human being with feelings

Default Best Drum Sampler for Linux?

I just found x42 AVL drums and it's pretty nice (really perfectly sufficient) but I would like to be able to substitute my own samples. Is there an easy way to do this... or maybe another sampler?

I would like .SFZ sound fonts if possible so it's not too cluttered to work with and multitrack if possible as well.
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:59 PM   #2
audiojunkie

You have several options. SFZ files are just editable text files, so any SFZ parser will work. However, for drums, I recommend getting something that allows multiple output channels so that you can mix and add effects to your channels as needed.

LinuxSampler and Sfizz and LiquidSampler should do what you are wanting.

DrumGizmo is even more powerful for drums, but I don't think it "saves" SFZ format.

Decent Sampler, I believe would work, as would Carla.

If you don't absolutely have to have SFZ, there are some nice commercial options:

Tal-Drum
Apisonic Speedrum

This is all in addition to the wonderful x42 AVL Drums.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:42 PM   #3
Glennbo

For a free kit that is unprocessed and sounds like a real kit of acoustic drums, in the same vein as Superior Drummer, Tod Stillwell's SM_Drums for SFZ are good.

https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/for-sfz-sforzando/

I use them on my Raspberry Pi with the native Linux SFZ player, Sfizz.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:34 AM   #4
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
If you don't absolutely have to have SFZ, there are some nice commercial options:

Tal-Drum
Apisonic Speedrum
I think Speedrum actually has an SFZ kit import feature. I've never had reason to use it myself, so I have no idea how well it works.

I use Speedrum myself as my main drum sampler. It is, as said, a commercial plugin, though, but fairly moderately priced, considering all its features. I like it a lot, but I should state that I don't really do "realistic" style drum stuff, since my interest is more in EDM...

Last edited by elcalen; 03-21-2023 at 06:39 AM.
elcalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:33 AM   #5
Tobbe

https://decomposer.de/sitala/
Old 03-21-2023, 10:10 AM   #6
777funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Super nice!

It looks like there is only room for one velocity level sample per pad and it'd also be nice to have round robbins if it were used for acoustic drums. BUT... I think one could easily accomplish this by using multiple pads for each piece (i.e. a couple of kicks and snares on separate pads).

That would be amazing as is for electronic sounds (i.e. the great sounding 808 it comes with).

I listened again to SSD5 and like what I hear there but getting it to work on Linux seems like a problem unfortunately. I have Superior Drummer 2 and like it quite a bit but I've not gotten it to work either in Linux. I'll probably multisample the pieces as I have them processed in Windows and play them in Linux using something mentioned here.

This is nice anyways, since software (and OS) go obsolete, but samples do not.
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:39 PM   #7
axel_ef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
I just found x42 AVL drums and it's pretty nice ... but I would like to be able to substitute my own samples. Is there an easy way to do this?
I have done this with Polyphone

Code:
apt install polyphone
I've loaded ~/.lv2/avldrums.lv2/Black_Pearl_4_LV2.sf2 into Polyphone and replaced some samples.
axel_ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 02:12 AM   #8
danflash

Ugritone is really usable. No mention of Linux on their page but they provide Linux VSTs. Looks like they aim more towards metal genres but honestly a lot of their kits sound great for any music. Decently priced.

Drum Drops samples in Renoise Redux or Reasamplomatic is also what I do. There are some good free acoustic sample sets too and setting them up in Reasamplomatic is a walk in the park (see Kenny Gioia's videos on that).
Old 03-23-2023, 04:52 PM   #9
/AND/

Try MPL's RS5K Manager script:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207971
/AND/ is online now   Reply With Quote