Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-28-2023, 07:56 PM   #1
Rockum
Human being with feelings

Default Sorry for the very newbie questions but...

I've been following the new post in this section for a while and with the release of today's new official release version realized things don't work as I anticipated.

I've noticed comping has been a focus for several of the last pre-release versions. However, it isn't a part of the newest official release. Are new features frequently shelved until they are ironed out, while others are deemed ready for release?

Is this the significance of the changelog items?

* Does Star signify an included new feature developed since the last official release?
+ Does Plus signify a brand new added feature found in the current prerelease version?
# Does Number signify a item or area in the current version that still needs refinement?

Sorry if these should be obvious, but I didn't see the answers in the stickies.
Rockum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:23 PM   #2
dom64

Re: changelog items =) Read about it here:
https://www.landoleet.org/
dom64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:35 PM   #3
dom64

You'll notice in the pre-release forum, there will be many development posts over the days and weeks, and it'll eventually culminate with a handful of RC posts. These are Release Candidates. They aren't going to always include everything from the development branches, because some features haven't been finished yet. For example the current focus might appear to be developing the new comping feature branch, but it has a way to go yet. There are many other things also being worked on, and bugs are being spotted and fixed, etc.
Once an RC candidate has been tested and then released, the development continues on with the development branches, until ready. They can take several months, or even get shelved and picked up further along down the road when it's time to work further on them. When the time is right.
dom64 is offline   Reply With Quote