Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Preferred Order & Settings for Multiple Audio Devices

Requested Features:
For those of us who need to frequently switch between devices, it would be extremely helpful if Reaper would:
1) Remember the number of ins and outs for each device
2) Automatically choose the device (if multiple simultaneous connections exist) based on order of preference. If Reaper loses connection with one device, it should automatically try the next device on the list. When we reconnect the preferred device, Reaper should use it.
3) Apply recording offsets according to device, samplerate and buffer size (we would need a table to input values from latency tests for each combination; since they can be drastically different from one another leading to potential timing issues when recording on different devices within one project)

Why it's a problem:

1. Due to variations between drivers, we must remember to change the recording manual offset values in preferences any time we change device, samplerate or buffersize or recordings made with one device can be out of sync with recordings made on another.

Example: A firewire mixer I use incorrectly reports latency from 200ms to 5000ms, depending on my samplerate and buffer size, while my PCI card is only off by 3, no matter what. Would be great if Reaper could make the necessary changes automatically when switching device.

2. If device A has more inputs/outputs than device B, switching from device A to B results in device B defaulting to only 1 input/output. Forgetting to check this each time can result in mono output, unavailable inputs and missed recordings.

Example: Yesterday I set up my drum kit, did a test take on the Recording Room device, switched to the Control Room device to check for issues, finding none, I switched back to the RR device and did 5 takes on before realizing I was only recording the kick, simply because the CR device has more inputs than the RR device and I forgot to manually adjust those settings.

Switching devices should be as seamless as possible. Thanks!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-23-2018 at 10:16 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
foxAsteria

And if the manual offsets in recording preferences could also be stored in the device configurations, that would be great, since different devices can report their latencies much differently.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
foxAsteria

This affect anyone else?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:31 AM   #4
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
This affect anyone else?

^Yes-very much so.

am not so much affected by recording offsets,but the channeling thing certainly could be investigated more...

plz devs! it's quite important for the master track to update channel changes. (+summing/mix any 'final' multichannel outs that end at a 1/2 interfacing master)
(eg: final folder track with 64 seperate inputs need todo a sum if no multichannel output on master,more than l/r)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
SonicAxiom

as a workaround (at least on Windows), I have multiple portable Reaper installs, each one configured to use a particular audio interface incl. the desired i/o channel ranges and the appropriate manual latency offset settings.

Would still be great to be able to quickly toggle between several configurations by a user presets drop-down menu taking care of the audio device's prefered i/o channel count and the corresponding latency compensation settings.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 04-04-2019 at 06:29 AM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
as a workaround (at least on Windows), I have multiple portable Reaper installs, each one configured to use a particular audio interface incl. the desired i/o channel ranges and the appropriate manual latency offset settings.
Ah, smart.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Fergler

I definitely would use this I use 3 different audio interfaces frequently. I'd love for it to search for the next in line before reverting back to Built in Output from Mac audio.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote