Old 11-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
Rangler
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper's Mix Knob vs Plugin Mix Knob

1. Is there a substantial difference in the way they work? It seems to give me different results against the one built into reverbs.

2. Does using Reaper's mix knob with a compressor have the same effect as parallel compression?
Old 11-18-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
rothchild

1. Honestly, I don't know, but I can't imagine so, surely wet / dry is wet / dry is wet / dry? (what sort of difference are you observing?)

2. Yes.
rothchild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post
1. Honestly, I don't know, but I can't imagine so, surely wet / dry is wet / dry is wet / dry? (what sort of difference are you observing?)

2. Yes.
It seems the Reaper knob gives me more predictable results. The wet vst dry knob gives me a more subtle effect. It might be just me.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
JamesPeters

1. Some plugins might affect the phase compared to the "dry only" signal, so it's best to use their own wet/dry controls in those cases since their own wet/dry controls will be compensating for this. (Otherwise if you use the blend control of the fx browser, it can cause phase cancellations.) You can test this by comparing the two; it would be pretty obvious, if the sound thins out when it shouldn't.

Also I guess the particular sweep of the wet/dry control (if it's linear or not) might be different, so you might have to turn one down more than the other to achieve the same effect.

2. Yes. That's of course taking the phase into consideration (see above). If it works the same with no phase cancellation, it's "paralleling" the effect (whatever it is).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
foxAsteria

It's just handy because many plugins don't provide wet/dry knobs. I think typically on reverbs you will just have a wet knob, which is adding the wet signal to the dry without changing the dry level. The fx window knob is changing the ratio between the two from 1:0 to 0:1, so it's likely not affecting overall volume as much.