Old 11-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
HolyEyE
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper not responding to MIDI Keyboard

Hi,
I downloaded the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver from here http://download.yamaha.com/usb_midi/. I have the keyboard enabled in MIDI devices. But when I create a new track and choose the keyboard as an input device and arm it (with VSTi, record monotoring ON) there's no response. I also tried various USB ports and I searched for a driver for the USB-MIDI cable (Mistar MIDILINK), but all the downloads of it were reported dangerous by my antivirus... When I try reinstalling Yamaha's driver it sends an error message that there are no devices connected to my computer (?). I tried using a different software but there's no input there either, so I'm guessing it's not reaper's fault, but I still hoped I could get some help here since I'm on this for hours I'm all out of ideas...
HolyEyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
ivansc

Have you checked what MIDI channel your keyboard is sending on?
Easiest way to verify if this is the problem is set ether reaper or the keyboard MIDI output to "Omni"
Old 11-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
HolyEyE

Thanks. The keyboard is very old and simplistic so it has no options like that. What should I click in Reaper exactly?

Edit: Ok, this time I uninstalled the driver completely and then tried to install it again and had the same error, even though the control panel does say the device is connected. I should probably get a new USB-MIDI cable as mine is about ~8 years old. Thanks for the replay but I give up for now.

Last edited by HolyEyE; 11-04-2017 at 11:29 AM.
HolyEyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Easiest way to verify if this is the problem is set ether reaper or the keyboard MIDI output to "Omni"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyEyE View Post
Thanks. The keyboard is very old and simplistic so it has no options like that. What should I click in Reaper exactly?
You can set up Omni mode in Reaper, when you set up a track to receive from you keyboard, set up your sends like this, "Audio: None MIDI: All -> All".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:

Edit: Ok, this time I uninstalled the driver completely and then tried to install it again and had the same error, even though the control panel does say the device is connected. I should probably get a new USB-MIDI cable as mine is about ~8 years old. Thanks for the replay but I give up for now.
Actually if your keyboard has a USB connection it's not ancient.

If you had an interface with midi in & out I don't think you'd be having any problems. I've used keyboards with USB and they worked okay, but they were a little fiddly. As soon as they were hooked up via my interface midi there were no more problems.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:51 AM   #6
ivansc

Aha! Get rid of that old cable and get a decent MIDI to usb device. I wore myself out trying to get reliable performance out of one of those pieces of wire with plugs on each end.

Further thought: Reaper will only see MIDI signal from your keyboard as coming from your MIDI interface. It will not see or indeed report the MIDI signal as coming from the keyboard because all it CAN see is the MIDI stream coming from your cable. My advice would still be to get a proper MIDI interface, in fact consider one of the cheaper audio and MIDI interfaces?
Old 11-05-2017, 02:14 AM   #7
slipstick

Quote:
Ok, this time I uninstalled the driver completely and then tried to install it again and had the same error, even though the control panel does say the device is connected. I should probably get a new USB-MIDI cable as mine is about ~8 years old. Thanks for the replay but I give up for now.
That Yamaha driver is for their UX-16 MIDI-USB interface. Since you're using a different Mistar USB-MIDI I wouldn't expect it to work.

Probably best to get a new USB-MIDI cable. The recent ones are a) cheap and b) class compliant so they don't need special drivers.

BTW just checking...but you do have MIDI OUT on the keyboard connected to MIDI IN on the interface don't you? We've all got that one wrong at least once.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote