Old 10-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Bassman5686
Human being with feelings

Default Tascam Celesonic 20x20 Woes

I've had my Celesonic 20x20 for a couple years and it was working just fine with USB 3 under Windows 10 once I updated the driver and firmware. Earlier this year, however, the interface started acting strangely and would cut out periodically if the mixer process (us20x20mixer, I think -- I'm not at my DAW computer) was running. These changes coincided with the April update of Windows 10, so I reasoned that some OS change was probably screwing things up. However, since I could get the interface working again after killing the mixer process, I didn't worry too much about it.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I find my 20x20 no longer works with the Tascam drivers at all. I could edit the ASIO parameters in Reaper, but when I tried to record or play anything the interface status on the right side of Reaper's menu bar would flash and everything would lock up. My guess was that the flashing status indicated Reaper wasn’t able to communicate with the 20x20, so I started digging around in the Windows settings. There I found that Windows itself wasn’t able to reliably use the interface even after multiple driver reinstallations and verification in Device Manager that the Tascam drivers were being used.

Since then I've been able to get the 20x20 working fairly well with ASIO4ALL (Tascam drivers uninstalled) in that I can record and play audio again, but I’ve often had to tweak ASIO4ALL's settings during a session because the audio would suddenly become heavily distorted. Oddly, I found that keeping the ASIO4ALL driver panel open seemed to ward off these problems for the most part, and I assume that’s because the audio gets reset when the ASIO panel is closed. I contacted Tascam and was told to use the 20x20 with USB 2, but that didn't help at all. They did, however, tell me that a new driver is in the works for the upcoming Windows update (yeah, the one that deletes files...I can't wait!). Maybe that’s good news.

In my most recent experiments, I found that leaving the Tascam drivers installed but actually using ASIO4ALL in Reaper seems to allow for reliable recording and playback at 6.5ms without distortion. The only downside is that opening the audio settings panel in Reaper takes several seconds and there's an equal delay when I close the panel before I can use Reaper again.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Is there a fix available or am I stuck limping along with the hope that Tascam and Windows 10 will get along again soon? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Bassman5686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Texasmusicman

Default Celesonic 20x20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman5686 View Post
I've had my Celesonic 20x20 for a couple years and it was working just fine with USB 3 under Windows 10 once I updated the driver and firmware. Earlier this year, however, the interface started acting strangely and would cut out periodically if the mixer process (us20x20mixer, I think -- I'm not at my DAW computer) was running. These changes coincided with the April update of Windows 10, so I reasoned that some OS change was probably screwing things up. However, since I could get the interface working again after killing the mixer process, I didn't worry too much about it.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I find my 20x20 no longer works with the Tascam drivers at all. I could edit the ASIO parameters in Reaper, but when I tried to record or play anything the interface status on the right side of Reaper's menu bar would flash and everything would lock up. My guess was that the flashing status indicated Reaper wasn’t able to communicate with the 20x20, so I started digging around in the Windows settings. There I found that Windows itself wasn’t able to reliably use the interface even after multiple driver reinstallations and verification in Device Manager that the Tascam drivers were being used.

Since then I've been able to get the 20x20 working fairly well with ASIO4ALL (Tascam drivers uninstalled) in that I can record and play audio again, but I’ve often had to tweak ASIO4ALL's settings during a session because the audio would suddenly become heavily distorted. Oddly, I found that keeping the ASIO4ALL driver panel open seemed to ward off these problems for the most part, and I assume that’s because the audio gets reset when the ASIO panel is closed. I contacted Tascam and was told to use the 20x20 with USB 2, but that didn't help at all. They did, however, tell me that a new driver is in the works for the upcoming Windows update (yeah, the one that deletes files...I can't wait!). Maybe that’s good news.

In my most recent experiments, I found that leaving the Tascam drivers installed but actually using ASIO4ALL in Reaper seems to allow for reliable recording and playback at 6.5ms without distortion. The only downside is that opening the audio settings panel in Reaper takes several seconds and there's an equal delay when I close the panel before I can use Reaper again.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Is there a fix available or am I stuck limping along with the hope that Tascam and Windows 10 will get along again soon? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Hey I have had the same problem when I first bought it almost 2 years ago, everything worked fine, then all of a sudden I wasn'r able to use the Tascam asio and had to download the Asio4all which worked worked for a little while. Now I have to turn off the unit and back on then go to the sound device a check the sound, then it works and without any notice it cuts off. Did Tascam say when the new driver is coming out?
Texasmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Texasmusicman

Default Tascam 20x20

Hey I have had the same problem when I first bought it almost 2 years ago, everything worked fine, then all of a sudden I wasn'r able to use the Tascam asio and had to download the Asio4all which worked worked for a little while. Now I have to turn off the unit and back on then go to the sound device a check the sound, then it works and without any notice it cuts off. Did Tascam say when the new driver is coming out? I tried calling sweetwater and they went on my computer but said I could send it back and they would check it out but couldn't figure it out.
Texasmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote