Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #1
gentleclockdivider
Human being with feelings

Default audio to , midi from ( considered feedback loop ) distinguish signal type

I am setting up reaktor with multiple outputs ( 12 ,34,56,78 )
Loading multiple ensembles with their own midi channels / outputs
Assign audio outs to separate output tracks in reaper .
All works as it should .
One thing I find a bit weird , is when using the audio receive track also as a midi track (to send midi to master reaktop ) , reaper considers this a feedback loop .
I find this weird since it receives audio and sends midi , two different kind of signals .

I know I can enable midi feedback loops in songs settings , or just create a dedicated midi track .
Just find this a bit odd .
Reaper doesn't dinstinguish midi from audio, when a track recieves and sends one of both ..it's considered feedback
gentleclockdivider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Fergler

You can disable the prevention mechanism if you want to get this set up working, but at the moment there is no per-track disabling and yeah, it doesn't distinguish between MIDI and audio (I think probably because you could send audio later and then get a surprise instant feedback loop - not safe).
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

I mean, it is actually possible to create a situation where the MIDI out of the track is somehow dependent on the audio input, and if that audio input is dependent on the MIDI output, it actually is a type of feedback. It might not be as devastating as actual audio>audio feedback loop, and I understand that it's not what you (or most people) are trying to do, but it can happen and could cause some unpredictable results.

I almost understand why people want to set things up this way, but it really is more flexible to have separate MIDI and audio tracks. I always enable feedback routing by default, and just use common sense to avoid feedback when I don't want it, but then I'm pretty confident of my understanding of the routing system.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
WellWisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
... I always enable feedback routing by default...

At a price. PDC is disabled when feedback routing is employed.