Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
pgodfrin
Human being with feelings

Default Automation consternation...

Hiya Folks,
Having some trouble understanding what's going on with my automation, perhaps someone can automatically help <grin>.

I have a track fader set to -9 db. I then select the volume envelope, Read mode. I typically set the envelope manually inserting envelope points where I need them. The thing is, I seem to lose the ability to mix after I set the envelope. I'd like to be able to trim down or up the fader to affect the whole track after I set the envelope - I guess in proportion to what the envelope is doing.

Can't do that. I suppose technically the envelope is an actual value as opposed to a relative one...

Anyway, in another track, I use a reverb send envelope. The send value is something like -16 db, but when I invoke the envelope, the send in the mixing panel shows 0.00 db ... So now I don't know what the original send value is without opening up the envelope window.

What am I not understanding?
phil
pgodfrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
lachrimae

Hi,

Try Trim/Read mode by right-clicking the envelope track's control panel. This will allow you to trim the overall envelope value.

Also, have a look at pg 357 of the userguide:
https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

I'm not sure why the mixer send knob is de-coupled from the envelope track's knob. Both are able to write automation, but they set trim values independently for some reason.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
pgodfrin

Yes I see that. The next oddity, if I clear the envelope I lose the mix level as well.... weird
Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
pgodfrin

Well I think that's just plain weird.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Hmm. Check your prefs under Project/track send defaults. Is it 'amplitude scaling' or 'volume fader scaling?' I think it's to do with the choice there.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #6
drummerboy

The second part of your question seems to be related to Preferences->Automation "Apply to envelope and reset trim". This sets wether your new envelope is absolute or relative to the existing value.

If you want to adjust the envelope in proportion, set the track to trim/read as lachrimae said.
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
pgodfrin

ok, kewl. I have the Scaling for new envelope set at Amplitude, which is the default according to 533e user guide. It doesn't really explain it well enough for me, so I will have to experiment and see which makes more sense to me (or perhaps not as weird...).

In my automation preferences, the apply trim to envelope and reset is set to Always! I am setting that back to Never per the documentation.

Wow - thanks for the help!