COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > The Camel Farm

Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
unregistered Paul

Question "no products found" on Camel, 27 products on amazon

Hello,

when I use the Camel search I don't find the items I see on the amazon site,
regardless of what options I choose in 'show only'.

For example:
I enter the search term Rinko Kawauchi in amazon.co.uk,
which gives me 27 results.

When I search for Rinko Kawauchi in Camel search set to amazon.co.uk,
it says "No products found".

The other locales (.com, .de etc.) show the same problem.
I have been very satisfied with Camel thus far, but right now I can't find any items on it so I can't use Camel. If anyone has an idea what might be the cause of this, I'd be glad to read your response.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Dan
up here in my tree

Hi Paul,

It sounds like we should be doing a better job of handling the "no results" situation, but here's why you aren't seeing anything.

By default, our site searches its local product database. This is because Amazon restricts the number of requests we can make to their API for product lookups, and we need all of the quota for updating products, so we can't send every user search through the API.

But you'll notice on the regular search results page, there's a notice about how the page searches our local database. This notice contains a link that takes you to the API search page, which is the best place to search if you can't find anything in our local search.

For example, this has plenty of results because it's an API search: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/search?sq=Rinko+Kawauchi

Now that we've searched via the API, those products will soon appear in our local search results.

I guess the smart thing for the site to do would be to automatically redirect users to the API search page if there are no local results?
Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Unregistered Paul

Smile thanks!

Hi Dan,

thanks a lot for your prompt reply which helped me understand what's happening here.

I wasn't aware what API meant before, so it was more of a PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer).

Redirecting the search page to the api search page if there are no results sounds optimal, but then, that page is only a click away right now, so most people should find it right away.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Dan
up here in my tree

On pages where there are no search results, I've added a big button that takes the user to the "live" search results page. Hopefully that is more obvious than the existing link.

(These changes will launch with our next update, coming soon...)