Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Updated Faderport Support (Faderport XT)

EDIT 12/30/15: If you are on Mac and/or want a few new features which I have not added for either OS, please see the following thread where The_Nimaj has added both Mac/PC support and some of the additional features asked for in this thread. I see no reason not to consider his current build the latest and greatest.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036

Now if we could just talk Cockos into moving this into the product officially it would save all these special instructions. wink, hint, nudge.

------------------------

Based on yhertogh's previous additions (thanks!) I have added additional Reaper support for Faderport. Here are all the features including what yhertogh already had... Ability to assign custom actions to the following buttons:

MIX, PROJ, TRNS, PUNCH, USER, LOOP, FOOTSWTICH, SHIFT+FOOTSWITCH
SHIFT+MIX, SHIFT+PROJ, SHIFT+TRNS, SHIFT+PUNCH, SHIFT+USER, SHIFT+LOOP

If you create your own custom actions which is a chain of other actions you can run complicated macros with a button etc.

Other features

Auto Scroll, Shift Latch, MCP View, Select Last Touched. See this thread for more information.

Installation

1. Copy reaper_csurf_fpxt.dll and reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini to \Reaper\Plugins and delete the existing reaper_csurf.dll.
2. In reaper go to Options > Preferences > Control Surfaces
3. Highlight and remove the existing PreSonus FaderPort Control Surface in the list (if you already had Faderport installed previously).
4. Click Add and choose "Presonus FaderPort XT" from the list. If this exact choice isn't in the list, make sure the dll is in the \reaper\plugins directory and Reaper has been restarted!
5. Choose FaderPort for both the MIDI Input and MIDI Output and click OK twice.
6. The XT version of FaderPort is now ready to use.

Customization

All customizations are in the INI file (reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini) here are the defaults but the entire point is that you can make them do what works best for you:

==============================================
MCP_VIEW=1 (default=1, enabled, Autoscroll works)
SHIFT_LATCH=1 (default=1, enabled, shift latch works)
AUTO_SCROLL=1 (default=0 disabled, if you press next channel on faderport it may fall onto a hidden track)
SELECT_IS_TOUCHED=1 (default=1 enabled, when creating a new track, make the new track also the 'last touched track')

ACTION_PUNCH=40222 (set start point)
ACTION_PUNCH_SHIFT=40172 (Go to previous marker/project start)
ACTION_USER=40157 (insert marker at current position)
ACTION_USER_SHIFT=40173 (Go to next marker/project end)
ACTION_LOOP=1068 (toggle repeat)
ACTION_LOOP_SHIFT=40915 (set end point)
ACTION_FOOTSWITCH=40073 (play/pause)
ACTION_FOOTSWITCH_SHIFT=1013(record)
ACTION_MIX=40078 (toggle mixer visible)
ACTION_MIX_SHIFT=41077 (toggle show all floating windows except mixer)
ACTION_PROJECT=40861 (go to next project tab - cycle)
ACTION_PROJECT_SHIFT=40295 (zoom out project)
ACTION_TRANS=40259 (toggle transport visible)
ACTION_TRANS_SHIFT=1134 (tap tempo)

To customize just grab the action ID you need from reaper and change it in the INI file for the button you wish to customize. If the action IDs are not visible in the actions list in Reaper, be sure to right-click anywhere in the actions window and choose "Show action IDs". Find your action, its corresponding ID, change it in the ini file, save it, restart Reaper.

5.10.13: This is no longer considered alpha/beta and all links in this thread point to the release version

For now it can be downloaded below. Both x86 and x64 versions are included in the same .zip file. Be sure that you extract the correct 32bit/64bit version that matches your version of Reaper. I'll check back and fix whatever is busted tomorrow evening.

DOWNLOAD: FaderPortXT.zip

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-30-2015 at 08:13 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
spikemullings

Brilliant! Got to go to stoopit work now then got a stoopit meeting after work. Really looking forward to giving this a go when I can.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
karbomusic

Thought I'd bump at least once in the event any other FP users want to give it a test spin.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

I haven't got one myself but I commend you!

Have a friend who does, will let him know!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
d.bop

AWESOME!

I can't test it out until this weekend, but... FOOTSWITCH SUPPORT!

Thank you, my new best friend
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bop View Post
AWESOME!

I can't test it out until this weekend, but... FOOTSWITCH SUPPORT!

Thank you, my new best friend

In hindsight, I probably need to add shift support to the footswitch which I haven't done yet. I didn't think that was useful at first but with the ability to latch the shift button, it becomes more useful to have the footswitch perform different functions via shift such as changing to record instead of play when shift is latched. Might add that in the next day or so.

EDIT: Forget the above, I just added shift+footswitch. I also updated the first post and download accordingly.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
donchilcott

Default Thank You

Got my Faderport XT working last night. I really appreciate the postings re srtting up Faderport, very cool...
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
donchilcott

Default Faderport XT updates

Thank You for your work, I love using my Faderport Happy Holidays :-)
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
airon

Currently there seems to be no way to hook up any controller to the pre-fx volume or pan envelopes. You can't flip the fader the control anything but the volume actually.

An OSC controller might be able to do it, but the Faderport isn't a general midi controller so that cannot(yet) be hooked up either.

The problem is that the pre-fx envelopes have no LEARN capability, like the normal volume, pan and mute, but at least those have midi cc/osc actions.

Might be a good request for the next v5 cycle.

Right now you're left with controlling the fader on the envelope control panel with the mouse.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Right now you're left with controlling the fader on the envelope control panel with the mouse.
I'm working on "regular" envelope access via volume fader but since none of that is in the original FaderPort code, it's taking me some time to figure it all out and do some tests. That and the fact that I'm very unfamiliar with the API so it's very slow going until I get over the initial WTF hump.

I'll be much closer once I get GetSelectedTrackEnvelope() implemented and working.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
luke.b.weld

Default Thanks

Interesting, thanks for the help. Still getting the hang of Reaper so didn't realize that wasn't possible. I work as a programmer in real life though so I'm going to start digging into the API pretty soon.

Still considering going with the FaderPort given the amount of great work you guys seem to be doing on it.
luke.b.weld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.b.weld View Post
Interesting, thanks for the help. Still getting the hang of Reaper so didn't realize that wasn't possible. I work as a programmer in real life though so I'm going to start digging into the API pretty soon.

Still considering going with the FaderPort given the amount of great work you guys seem to be doing on it.
Welcome fellow dev me too, well I'm rather mostly a debugger in WinDbg as of late but I still do a fair amount of "above of the compiler" stuff here and there. I already know I'm simply not declaring the functions I need properly because their addresses in the resulting assembly call instructions are bogus. I should have it worked out before too long but not before Christmas.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
A Bannister

Default Faderport footswitch solution

First time on forum. Genius solution. Thanks for your help.
A Bannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
rickydiaz

Default Win XP 64bit presonus faderport?

Hi guys, does any one here is running fader port over win xp64 bit? i can´t find my faderport in reaper x64 over XP64, does any one have any advise? it works fine over win7 64bit, but not over xp64. cheers.
rickydiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
fredmatthew25

Default Got it!

I have had issues with my Faderport (4.62 version of Reaper). This thread solved the problem. Download the link in the first post, insert the file into the Reaper / Plugins folder. Also, deleted the csurf.dll file that comes with Reaper upgrades. So, I might have to go back in and delete that file with each upgrade, but will be worth it to continue working with Faderport. Thanks guys who posted here. You are all way over my head with the programming and looking forward to trying out some of the additional functionality you have all added.
fredmatthew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #16
Totonno

Default hey

Hi guys, I'm new in the forum and happy Reaper user since a couple years... i'd like to know if someone has succesfully compiled the code/found some workaround to achieve the same results as this plugin for OSX? I searched deeply in this forum, and found nothing. I don't want to think about going back to windows after 10 years just to use this little but powerful dll...(and I'm really considering it) Thanks everyone!

Totonno
Totonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totonno View Post
Hi guys, I'm new in the forum and happy Reaper user since a couple years... i'd like to know if someone has succesfully compiled the code/found some workaround to achieve the same results as this plugin for OSX?
Unfortunately, not that I know of. I wonder, if I were to clean up the code all nice like if Justin would ever consider migrating these changes into the default csurf/faderport support. It's a longshot, but the code that others, then I added has been extremely stable for several years now. I don't think there has been a single crash to my knowledge since I first updated it in November of 2011 so we at least have a good track record.

However, I did hack some of the code in out of ignorance so it would likely require a full day of work to formally take what we have done and properly merge it assuming we had any chance whatsoever of it happening. I'm sure I added some code outside the Faderport C++ file before realizing how everything was structured and since it was mostly for me at the time, I worried less about coding it properly against the paradigm. It also isn't 100% user friendly (aka the ini file has to be edited directly).

I do think though that it vastly expands on the default support for Faderport and I personally couldn't live without it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-22-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #18
Totonno

Default wow

Thanks Karbo for taking time to reply, great to hear directly from you. You definitely did an AMAZING job for the community. Thank you.

Still, I think many Osx users are using the Faderport with the limited default functionality...so I totally agree with you, it would be AMAZING if Justin could add your code to the default Faderport support. It truly would be a GIANT improvement for a lot of people (including me).

What do you think we can do as a community to make this happen?

Cheers!

Totonno
Totonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #19
gappie

Default thanks

I bought a faderport just recently to use with reaper.. worked ok, but was expecting more.. then I found this thread, and now it works great.. thanks mister karbo.

this morning I did an upgrade for the firmware of the faderport, had not done that yet. the motorized fader stopped working after that. I had to roll back to and older firmware to get it working again.. this has nothing to do with reaper or the faderportxt . just wanted to tell for people having the same problem.

gab
gappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 AM   #20
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Based on yhertogh's previous additions (thanks!) I have added additional Reaper support for Faderport. Here are all the features including what yhertogh already had...
Thanks a lot!

When selecting "output" pan is controlled from the fader. Is this intended?

Ok, I see:
Quote:
Added support for disabling Output button flip mode (vol/pan) and assigning custom actions instead.
Assign custom actions to both Output and Shift+Output.
Default behavior is flip.

Last edited by G-Sun; 01-07-2015 at 06:07 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #21
JHughes
Banned

That's how Output works for me. Boy, panning with the slider or knob is so much better than with a mouse. I wish the pan knob worked better though. It's jerky and when it's working it only does 2 dB increments although that seems to be endemic to the unit.

I've read you can replace the pot to fix the jerkiness.

I wish there were a way to implement fine control, perhaps by toggling shift.

Last edited by JHughes; 01-07-2015 at 01:13 PM.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
That's how Output works for me.
I added code, configurable via faderport ini file, to make the output button and pan knob more worthwhile since by default it flips PAN/VOL between knob/fader:

Output Button

ACTION_OUTPUT
ACTION_OUTPUT_SHIFT

Both the defaults are 0 which keeps the default vol/pan flip mode behavior. Changing ACTION_OUTPUT to any value other than zero enables both Output and Shift+Output and also disables flip mode. Set it to any action ID and it will run that action. Set it to 1 or 2 to enable two special master track options. Here are some examples:

Faderport output button default behavior (default setting):
ACTION_OUTPUT=0
ACTION_OUTPUT_SHIFT=0

Faderport output button selects master track and deselects all other tracks. Shift+Output toggles master track visibility:
ACTION_OUTPUT=1
ACTION_OUTPUT_SHIFT=41209

Faderport output button gives faderport control of the master but does not deselect other tracks. Shift+Output toggles stereo/mono on the master track:
ACTION_OUTPUT=2
ACTION_OUTPUT_SHIFT=40917

Faderport output button displays the FXChain for the master track, Shift+Output toggles FX bypass for the master track.
ACTION_OUTPUT=40846
ACTION_OUTPUT_SHIFT=16

* Note that ACTION_OUTPUT=0, ACTION_OUTPUT=1 and ACTION_OUTPUT=2 are special values. All other values other than 0, 1, or 2 should be an action ID.

Pan Knob

PAN_SCROLLS_TRACKS

PAN_SCROLLS_TRACKS=0 (Default) Faderport behavior of pan L/R
PAN_SCROLLS_TRACKS=1 Pan knob scrolls back and forth through tracks.

As you can see above there is a lot of hidden goodness depending on what you want and is all configurable in the ini file (see first post for info, I'll back port subsequent feature additions back to the first post soon). Don't forget that the 8 buttons just above the transport are configurable to an action ID you wish. For example on mine "Mix" toggles the mixer, "Trns" toggles the transport and so on.

Quote:
Boy, panning with the slider or knob is so much better than with a mouse. I wish the pan knob worked better though. It's jerky and when it's working it only does 2 dB increments although that seems to be endemic to the unit.

I've read you can replace the pot to fix the jerkiness.

I wish there were a way to implement fine control, perhaps by toggling shift.
Also, FYI on my setup pan is very smooth but it is 2 percentage points not dB?

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-07-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #23
JHughes
Banned

You're right, it is percentage points.

Mine likes to jump 12%.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:07 AM   #24
G-Sun

Thanks, awesome!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #25
funkycam

Karbomusic you are a lifesaver.
Just got a Fader port, using a 64bit PC w/Windows 8
Cldn't get it to work. Installed your patches & it's working like a charm. Can't thank you enough

Best,
Cam

Quote:
Based on yhertogh's previous additions (thanks!) I have added additional Reaper support for Faderport. Here are all the features including what yhertogh already had... Ability to assign custom actions to the following buttons:

If you create your own custom actions which is a chain of other actions you can run complicated macros with a button etc.

Other features

Auto Scroll, Shift Latch, MCP View, Select Last Touched. See this thread for more information.

Installation

1. Copy reaper_csurf_fpxt.dll and reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini to \Reaper\Plugins and delete the existing reaper_csurf.dll.
3. Highlight and remove the existing PreSonus FaderPort Control Surface in the list (if you already had Faderport installed previously).
4. Click Add and choose "Presonus FaderPort XT" from the list. If this exact choice isn't in the list, make sure the dll is in the \reaper\plugins directory and Reaper has been restarted!

Customization

All customizations are in the INI file (reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini) here are the defaults but the entire point is that you can make them do what works best for you:

AUTO_SCROLL=1 (default=0 disabled, if you press next channel on faderport it may fall onto a hidden track)
SELECT_IS_TOUCHED=1 (default=1 enabled, when creating a new track, make the new track also the 'last touched track')

To customize just grab the action ID you need from reaper and change it in the INI file for the button you wish to customize. If the action IDs are not visible in the actions list in Reaper, be sure to right-click anywhere in the actions window and choose "Show action IDs". Find your action, its corresponding ID, change it in the ini file, save it, restart Reaper.

5.10.13: This is no longer considered alpha/beta and all links in this thread point to the release version

For now it can be downloaded below. Both x86 and x64 versions are included in the same .zip file. Be sure that you extract the correct 32bit/64bit version that matches your version of Reaper. I'll check back and fix whatever is busted tomorrow evening.

funkycam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #26
karbomusic

That's great funkycam!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #27
johnlukeyoung

Hey Karbo, thanks for the reply! Haha I forgot I posted on here, I'll give those setting a shot and see what it does
johnlukeyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #28
johnlukeyoung

There also seems to be an issue where the mix button can only close the mixer and won't open it. Is this a known issue?

Thanks!
johnlukeyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlukeyoung View Post
There also seems to be an issue where the mix button can only close the mixer and won't open it. Is this a known issue?

Thanks!
I must say it works as "advertised" here with WinXP x86 and Reaper 4.75 x86. Also, my pan knob works pretty much flawlessly, too. Only sometimes it skips a bit. That's a known "feature" I'm afraid. I read somewhere that replacing the pan potentiometer with a more quality one works, but I never bothered replacing it.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlukeyoung View Post

Thanks!
Shouldn't be but I'll check. Do you have this entry in the ini file?

ACTION_MIX=40078

40078 = "toggle mixer visible" so make sure that action ID matches the action ID in Reaper, I expect it should but I'd double check. You could also test that action directly in Reaper and make sure it works since all FaderportXT does is call that action ID.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #31
Drak

Default Scrub with Pan?

This is fantastic. I'm late to the party but thanks for doing this.

I had a trouble getting the Faderport up and running. I know it's an older piece of kit and I just got it today. I had to install the firmware from an older computer because my current one uses USB 3.0 and it wouldn't work.

Is there a way to set the pan knob as jog wheel for scrubbing through a track?
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #32
Jesper

I just bought the Faderport a few days ago and I'm really glad I found this thread. Also I second - using the knob as a jog wheel would be fantastic.
Thanks for your work!
Jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #33
roobiz

Hi Karbo et al,

With the recent release of REAPER 5, are there any additions or changes in functionality for a device such as this? I've been considering buying one of these for a while, but once I had read that there's no way to write FX parameter automation (right...?), I hesitated.

Are there any other controllers similar to this? I've heard of the Faderport, and the... I want to say, Alphaport? Discontinued, I read.
Hope you're all enjoying the new release!
Cheers
roobiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #34
mucknog

Hi Karbo,

first of all thanks a lot for your hard work.

I'm having a problem with actions, that have an ID, which is not a number.
e.g. _SWS_SELNEXTMORR

Thank you
Old 08-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #35
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucknog View Post
Hi Karbo,

first of all thanks a lot for your hard work.

I'm having a problem with actions, that have an ID, which is not a number.
e.g. _SWS_SELNEXTMORR

Thank you
Try using that, it should still work.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:06 AM   #36
G-Sun

In Studio One Faderport is integrated so we can assign the motorized fader to most parameters.

Like here:

This is very handy, when anything else than vol/pan needs a hand on.

Is it possible to get this sort of integration in Reaper as well?

(btw: I'm very thankful for the current implementation of Fadrerport )
Old 11-12-2015, 03:41 AM   #37
G-Sun

I have problem with fader-movements not being recorded properly.
When I go into touch, it only sets trim-level.

When I started on a clean project, everything seems fine,
writing vol-env as it should.

Edit: My bad.
Vol env. arm was not checked.

Last edited by G-Sun; 11-12-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #38
BartR

Quote:
EDIT 12/30/15: If you are on Mac and/or want a few new features which I have not added for either OS, please see the following thread where The_Nimaj has added both Mac/PC support and some of the additional features asked for in this thread. I see no reason not to consider his current build the latest and greatest.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036

Now if we could just talk Cockos into moving this into the product officially it would save all these special instructions. wink, hint, nudge.

------------------------

Other features

Installation

Customization

The footswitch is totally ignored.
Is it occur to you as well?
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #39
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
The footswitch is totally ignored.
Is it occur to you as well?
I never used any of the newer versions after I handed off the code, but it worked back when I had it I thought. I can test when I get a chance to confirm since I still use my original version. Are you using a standard momentary footswitch like for a keyboard?
Old 12-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #40
Ben Zero

Hey guys

Just finally got myself a Faderport "Classic". Really nice piece of kit and loving it so far.

Only problem is that I'm not able to get the Faderport to follow selected track in REAPER (ie I can only select tracks with the Faderport, it can't follow the track I've selected with the mouse).

Reading this thread it looks like it's a firmware thing - it seems that 1.3.8 is the "golden" firmware. I checked mine and apparently it was v1.00 (according to their Universal Control app) so I took a punt and ran the updater. It's updated to v1.45 but I've still got the same problem.

Wondering if this is definitely a firmware issue, even with the latest version? If so, does anyone know where I can find a copy of 1.3.8 to downgrade to? Can't find one anywhere online :|

Big thanks

Ben