Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
Lunar Ladder
Human being with feelings

Default How to duplicate time?

I googled around for this, and surprisingly I didn't find an answer. How to duplicate everything in a given time selection in Reaper?

The "Duplicate selected area of items" duplicates only "traditional" items, i.e. not automation. I'd like to be able to make a duplicate of a whole cue inside the same project, in one go, boom, so that I end up with two identical cues sounding the same , and then I can edit the other one further.

If I do a "duplicate selected area of items", I need to make sure I manually copy and paste all automation after the fact. Is there a simple foolproof way of making a clone of a time selection inside a project, just like that, and it's 1:1 the same? A script, maybe? In spite of my googling, I'm probably just missing it.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
domzy

how about making it a region? that should do the trick
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Lunar Ladder

Answering myself here, right away: such a late hour that it is, I forgot I have done this in other contexts already. Just ctrl+drag a region. Smacking my head

Having demoed Live 10 for the last three days, I was so deeply into Live mode and its time duplication that I just... yeahh.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
how about making it a region? that should do the trick
Haha yep, you wrote that as I was writing the above. Kinda hoped not to get ninja'd eehh. But yes, thanks for chiming in!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
edwood75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
I googled around for this, and surprisingly I didn't find an answer. How to duplicate everything in a given time selection in Reaper?

The "Duplicate selected area of items" duplicates only "traditional" items, i.e. not automation. I'd like to be able to make a duplicate of a whole cue inside the same project, in one go, boom, so that I end up with two identical cues sounding the same , and then I can edit the other one further.

If I do a "duplicate selected area of items", I need to make sure I manually copy and paste all automation after the fact. Is there a simple foolproof way of making a clone of a time selection inside a project, just like that, and it's 1:1 the same? A script, maybe? In spite of my googling, I'm probably just missing it.
Envelope points move with media items selected?
edwood75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwood75 View Post
Envelope points move with media items selected?
There are also tracks that have automation on them but no media items at all.

For example, any bus channels containing fx automation, or something like channels receiving the outputs of Kontakt instances, having volume adjustments on them, etc. (In the latter case, the media items containing the MIDI data for that Kontakt instance are on different tracks, and the automation understandably doesn't get associated with the MIDI items). Such automation doesn't follow the regular duplicate actions that target items, no matter if all automation that does have corresponding items follow nicely.

Anyway, regions obviously work very very conveniently for this , so, great.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
edwood75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
There are also tracks that have automation on them but no media items at all.

For example, any bus channels containing fx automation, or something like channels receiving the outputs of Kontakt instances, having volume adjustments on them, etc. (In the latter case, the media items containing the MIDI data for that Kontakt instance are on different tracks, and the automation understandably doesn't get associated with the MIDI items). Such automation doesn't follow the regular duplicate actions that target items, no matter if all automation that does have corresponding items follow nicely.

Anyway, regions obviously work very very conveniently for this , so, great.
Sure! In that case....regions work well. But only if vertically all contents are of interest to be duplicated. Hence the area selection FR.
Empty items its not a very elegant solution but does the trick.
Glad that you sorted it out.

Best
edwood75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #8
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwood75 View Post
Sure! In that case....regions work well. But only if vertically all contents are of interest to be duplicated.
Yeah, that was the goal, to duplicate a section of time so that it's "1:1 the same", as I put it above; sounding identical without worrying about something being left behind . For that exact thing, it is naturally mandatory to have vertically absolutely everything included in the duplicate.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:53 AM   #9
Lunar Ladder

Kind of related to this: I wish automation items were able to be duplicated like other items. Kind of weird you can copy/paste them and move them about just like any other item, so functionally one would think duplicating was possible (identical outcome than with manual copying and pasting), but when you trigger a "duplicate item" action on them... it does nothing.