Old 02-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
mhuss
Human being with feelings

Default Change BPM Only?

Is there a way to change the BPM of a project (to match an existing set of audio tracks) without changing the playback of the tracks in the project? I basically just want to change/fix the metronome, not change any audio.
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
cfillion

Set the media item time base to "Time". It can be done project-wide (unless overridden per-item) in Project settings.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
mhuss

Ouch. I tried 'Time' on items, tempo and both and the tracks were out of time with each other.

I then changed it back to the 'Beats' settings they were originally and the tracks were still out of time!! Fortunately the RPP-BAK file was not broken and I was able to get the project back in time.

What happened? Does changing these settings make irreversible changes to the project? There was nothing in the 'undo' buffer.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:39 AM   #4
cfillion

Good thing the backup was recent enough! Changing the timebase should not mess anything up like that though. Do you have a mix of audio and MIDI items in the project? MIDI items don't obey project or track-wide timebase settings. Perhaps when you changed the project's tempo, only MIDI items moved. But if that's the case it should have been reversible by putting back the previous tempo.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
mhuss

I agree, the observed behavior doesn't make any sense. Oh well, I'm leaving it be for now. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuss View Post
I agree, the observed behavior doesn't make any sense. Oh well, I'm leaving it be for now. Thanks again for the suggestions.
When timebases were first introduced, the devs reasoned that for the vast majority of cases, users would prefer MIDI to follow the tempo map and remain on the grid. Therefore:

* MIDI items do not follow the project default timebase. Instead they are automatically set to Beats, unless changed at item level. (To set their timebase, you must select the items, then right-click -> Item properties -> Set timebase to time; or run the action "Item properties: Set item timebase to time".)

* Even when a MIDI item's timebase is set to Time, it only affects the item start and item length. The MIDI notes and CCs *inside* the item will still follow the tempo map. To lock the MIDI notes and CCs to their time positions, the item Properties must be set to "Ignore project tempo". The easiest way to do so is to use the SWS actions "Enable "Ignore project tempo" for selected MIDI items and preserve time position of events (use tempo at item's start)".
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
insub

Default MIDI Timebase

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
When timebases were first introduced, the devs reasoned that for the vast majority of cases, users would prefer MIDI to follow the tempo map and remain on the grid. Therefore:

* MIDI items do not follow the project default timebase. Instead they are automatically set to Beats, unless changed at item level. (To set their timebase, you must select the items, then right-click -> Item properties -> Set timebase to time; or run the action "Item properties: Set item timebase to time".)

* Even when a MIDI item's timebase is set to Time, it only affects the item start and item length. The MIDI notes and CCs *inside* the item will still follow the tempo map. To lock the MIDI notes and CCs to their time positions, the item Properties must be set to "Ignore project tempo". The easiest way to do so is to use the SWS actions "Enable "Ignore project tempo" for selected MIDI items and preserve time position of events (use tempo at item's start)".
Thank You for this!
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Fergler

Yeah I fall into that category of users who want my MIDI and audio strictly aligned, so this was a headache too until I found that action to set item timebases.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
ChristopherT

Can I just please clarify this.

I have a project with midi notes
If I want to change the BPM at a later point, and still have the midi events on the grid - which function should I select?

Also - if I have events slightly after (or before) the beat, (for eg swing )
Will they retain their relationship with the on grid notes?
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
insub

If your MIDI was recorded to the proper grid then there is nothing further to be done before changing the tempo. All your notes, etc., will maintain their relationship to the grid.

I needed to alter the tempo of MIDI that was recorded in free-time, concurrently with the audio of a real world keyboard synthesizer. I hoped that changing the time base to time would work, or grouping the midi with the audio item, but those settings didn't prevent the midi from following the project tempo, which had never been set before recording.

Only setting the item containing the midi to "Ignore project tempo" allows you to change the project tempo after-the-fact without the midi following the grid.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote