Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #281
Sexan
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
-Time selection. I'm still not quite sure how this is meant to work since it still seems to be destructive (by removing items outside of the time selection). Could you give me an idea of it's intended use and then I'll try it like that and get back to you. (Also, I did see your question in the previous post but not sure how to answer that yet sorry)
This will be renamed to "Create new version FROM selection" or something shorter, initialy idea was if I only wanted a part of the whole version (if that makes sense)
Quote:
-Found possible bug whereby if you make edits to some items and then immediately go and use "duplicate" these changes are wiped and you end up with a duplicate that is the same as the original before the changes were made. If the "version" could be updated (with the new edits) before the duplicate was made that would probably be more expected and less destructive.
Will see whats happening here
Quote:
-Maybe "add version" should now be called "Create default" or "create original" (I think "default" makes more sense on what it's actually now used for since you can't press it after the initial version is created. EDIT: seems that if you create a folder version then the "add version" button also works again for individual tracks which might be a bug right?
Yeah I've mention that is not implemented yet, thats why its happening (script looks for same versions on single tracks only not on folder)

Quote:
-Maybe when using "add version", a duplicate should also be created. The reason for this is if you've got to the point where you want to make a initial "track version", you've probably at the point where you want to change or add items to try out different versions. This also means that at the point of using the "add version" button, you will now have a backup as you will be straight away editing the duplicate and not the original. (again, keeps inline with Reaper's "non-destructive editing). Although I love that changes are saved automatically now, I think people at first will be shocked that they have changed their original when they didn't mean to.
Will see what I can do here,(auto save is a bitch to code )

Quote:
-instead of adding just "D" to duplicate and then another "-D" to the send and third and so on.. Would it be possible to call duplicates say "D01" and upwards instead so that the name doesn't get crazy if we have like 20 duplicate versions. (I see myself using loads)
I think its easy to do

Quote:
-Right click options. This seem to be focused on whichever version you have active but some of them (like delete) would be better set up to work on the version your mouse is hovering over when you use right click button. That's probably not easy to do but instinctively I tried to delete versions by right clicking on them directly.
Not sure if this is possible with the core gui script I'm using

Quote:
-Folders (possible bug). When adding a folder version, I got a one called "Original" but then I was able to press it again and get one called "V-1" which is different behaviour to how single tracks work and might be confusing. It also caused the name of the "original" folder track preset to be called "<bad string> when looking at it in any of the child tracks inside the folder.
Thats because folders atm do not have version checking (working on it)

Thank you but no need for a donation,community here have done a lot and this is something I'm doing for them (and me) IF everything goes ok with the script (I am a noob at coding)
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #282
musicbynumbers

All good Sexan it's fine about things like right click if it's not easy to do. It's a small thing!

regarding the "add version also creating a duplicate". I was really thinking that using this option would straight away just duplicate to say a "V-1" version so that the original was preserved without the user having to do anything. To me it seems that it would just be a behind the scenes activation of the "duplicate" function straight away so that the original isn't touched? I'm not a scripter really though so I might not know what I'm talking about sorry!

regarding time selection. I'm still not sure why you would want to remove anything either side of the time selection but if other people will use it then all good

If I get time, I will try and find a set of actions that you could maybe use inside your script to grab and manipulate only what's in the time selection etc. This might be crazy though but seems like it could work!

By this I mean, the actions could potentially "prepare" the track area to not only be have the time selection area saved on it's own but also to be recovered too and pasted anywhere you wanted.

This would only probably work on a per track basis but you could have something roughly like the below using the copy and paste functions of reaper (either on a track or item level).

to save just the time selection area for recall later via a version recall. (note, action names below are totally rough)

-Store chunk in background (via your script this will be used later to restore track to normal)
-store time selection (sws action)
-cut items within time selection (this is the items we want for now)
-delete all items on track
-move edit cursor to start of project
-paste items
-"add version" (using your script. This gives you a small chunk that starts at project start so makes pasting later much easier)
-Recall the earlier saved chunk (so that the track ends up looking the same as before)
-Restore time selection area (just so the time selection is the same as before)

You have now stored a time selection area that is easy to restore to anywhere else on that track It could even have a special colour or the words "(TS)" at the start or end to make it obvious what it is.

Recalling that "version" to any time selection area could be done in a similar way hopefully. Might be a bit "funky" but would work Something like the below so that you could select a new time selection area (even if it had stuff in it) and then use something like the below to get it to work .

-Store chunk again (of the whole track items, temporarily)
-store time selection position (for later recall)
-delete all items on track.
-recall the actual chunk you want from your script (should appear at the start of the project)
-cut these items (might have to put the time selection round them first maybe)
-restore the temp chunk from earlier (so the track has it's normal items again)
-restore time selection position
NOW EITHER..
-delete all items in time selection (making way for the paste)
-move edit cursor to start of time selection (so they start inside the time selection)
-paste items (that should do it mostly..)
OR..
-move edit cursor to start of time selection
-enable trim mode (so that if the pasted area is longer than the time selection area, the items all get overwritten anyway, right up to the end of the copied items. This is probably the best way of doing it.
-disable trim mode (if detected as toggled off in the first place)

The steps missing here is making sure that the pasted items can "fill" the time selection area by repeating but I think we have sws actions that can do that "filling" automatically.

It's a bit crazy but thought it might work as I've done something like this before but stored as track templates instead. Your script would be much cleaner!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #283
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Not sure if this is possible with the core gui script I'm using
If only you knew someone that was familiar with the GUI code...

I haven't used your script though, so I have no idea what the problem is.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #284
Sexan

Things are getting complicated and I did not want to bother any of you till I finish the core behavior.
But since you are here
Basicaly what he wants is right click on mouse over so the right click is not connected to active radio box but any that is under the cursor.

EDIT: I'm not sure about that because probably I will have recode the whole right click behavior which is already pretty complicated (it relies on active radio box)

@musicbynumbers
regarding that time selection, I dont know how to make non time selected chunk "disabled" for editing , that is the main problem here. But after thinking about your custom action isn't that sort of "duplicate" ? (sorry if I did not understand my brain is on fire from all the coding today)

BTW that duplicate thing your talking about (preserving original) was in prior version so I will get that in also

Last edited by Sexan; 01-09-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #285
Lokasenna

The same math that it uses to figure out what option you clicked with the left button could be added to the right-click code pretty easily, I think. I'll have a look in a bit.

It might be easier to tweak things if you kept the GUI code in a separate file and then called it from the Tracklist script. Have a look at the usage script here for an example: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=34 - I'm happy to help you figure it out though.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #286
Sexan

This version checking is pretty complicated so it will be removed for now until I get another idea how to do it (its easy to do it on track,but folder is a bitch). I will concentrate on other things now

Now when checking is disabled "add version" acts like duplicate (like before) maybe that is more desirable?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #287
musicbynumbers

No worries Sexan If I get time I'll do a proper presentation of it.

I'm not sure what you mean by making them disabled for editing sorry.

The idea behind using time selection to only store what's between the time selection (for that track) and then be able to use these as basically "patterns" that you can paste anywhere you want later.

I thought the issue was that chunks would always save everything on the track.

The example I gave was a potential way of temporarily reducing what's on the track to just what was in the time selection, moving it to the start of the project and then storing it.

That would mean it could then be pasted back from your script at a later date to overwrite any section of that track without wiping everything.

I'll try and do a "simulation" licecap that shows what I mean as a feature at some point
Old 01-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #288
musicbynumbers

Quote:
This version checking is pretty complicated so it will be removed for now until I get another idea how to do it (its easy to do it on track,but folder is a bitch). I will concentrate on other things now

Now when checking is disabled "add version" acts like duplicate (like before) maybe that is more desirable?
I'm happy myself to leave folders out of it (for now) if it means track items works better.

I was only thinking that on initial storing of the first "version" that it would create 2 versions not just one.

These would be..

-Original (the version of the track at the moment you pressed "add version". This version stays unedited).
and
"V-1" (identical to the "Original" but it is the "live" one that any further editing you do is auto saved to so that the Original is not changed.

That way, users don't start adding changes to original as most people right now will simply press "add version" twice. to get the original and the live "V-1" version too.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #289
Sexan

Do not worry about creating initial track (original - v1) , working on it atm
Old 01-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #290
Sexan

Here especially for you so you can play with it
https://stash.reaper.fm/29426/TrackVersion20170109.lua
Added auto added V1 after original
Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #291
Lokasenna

Okay, this is the code that figures out which option was clicked on:
Code:
	local y,h = self.y,self.h

-- pad the options in from the frame a bit
	y,h = y + 2, h - 4
	local opt_tb = self.norm_val2

local VAL = math.floor(( (gfx.mouse_y-y)/h ) * #opt_tb) + 1
	if VAL<1 then VAL=1 elseif VAL> #opt_tb then VAL= #opt_tb end
If you paste that in right after ch_box.onRClick = function () (line 908 in TrackVersion20170108.lua) and change all of the self references to ch_box, you should be able to refer to VAL to figure out which option was right-clicked anywhere in the function.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #292
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Okay, this is the code that figures out which option was clicked on:
Code:
	local y,h = self.y,self.h

-- pad the options in from the frame a bit
	y,h = y + 2, h - 4
	local opt_tb = self.norm_val2

local VAL = math.floor(( (gfx.mouse_y-y)/h ) * #opt_tb) + 1
	if VAL<1 then VAL=1 elseif VAL> #opt_tb then VAL= #opt_tb end
If you paste that in right after ch_box.onRClick = function () (line 908 in TrackVersion20170108.lua), you can refer to VAL to figure out which option was right-clicked.
Thank you very much!!

EDIT: it gives me error probably because of "self."
Old 01-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #293
Lokasenna

Sorry, edited my post but not quickly enough - all of the self in that code should be changed to ch_box.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #294
Sexan

@Lokasenna works like a charm thank you! Now I need to modify radio box a little to add mouse over to highlight the label (in order see normally, avoid error deleting)
Old 01-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #295
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Here especially for you so you can play with it
https://stash.reaper.fm/29426/TrackVersion20170109.lua
Added auto added V1 after original
Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow

EDIT: tried it now actually and that seems to work great now thanks!

Don't do anything too stressful on this Sexan! I'm not in a rush myself.

I'll try and do a video explaining it when I've got some proper time free.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 01-09-2017 at 05:03 PM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #296
zookthespook

Any updates on this monster script ?
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:31 AM   #297
Sexan

this is very complicated script with even more unnecesaray complicated code that needs to be simplified.Im looking into it but i cannot make any promises ATM because I have a lot of work. (sorry for typos i'm writing from phone)
Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #298
zookthespook

Quote:
this is very complicated script with even more unnecesaray complicated code that needs to be simplified.Im looking into it but i cannot make any promises ATM because I have a lot of work. (sorry for typos i'm writing from phone)
I can imagine ! Thank you for bringing it till this level ..it is phenomenal already !
cheers
Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #299
Sexan

Good news I'm working on it, recoded lots of stuff to more normal,simpler level.Cannot give any ETA at the moment,still a lot of work needs to be done
Old 08-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #300
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Good news I'm working on it, recoded lots of stuff to more normal,simpler level.Cannot give any ETA at the moment,still a lot of work needs to be done
Exciting to hear that Sexan!

No rush though.. take your time!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 08-20-2017 at 11:30 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:08 AM   #301
amagalma

Great news
Old 08-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #302
vanhaze

Quote:
Just amazing work Sexan, thanks so much for this !
Old 08-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #303
zookthespook

Quote:
You working on it is the news...
Thank u good sir
Old 08-28-2017, 03:51 AM   #304
Sexan

Lots of progress but still not ready for release. Code is drastically reduced (from 1200 lines to about 700). Just an update for you guys to know I'm working on it
Old 08-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #305
Teddy

Great! Keep up the good work, Sexan.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:24 AM   #306
Sexan

Need to add 2 more things and its ready
Old 08-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #307
musicbynumbers

awesome!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #308
Sexan

I'm fine tuning your requests
Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #309
amagalma

Looking forward to it!
Old 02-19-2018, 03:55 AM   #310
zookthespook

any updates on the track list !
It's been quiet for a while..
Old 02-19-2018, 04:13 AM   #311
Sexan

Working on it,having a tough time with track deletion code and some folder voodoo
Old 02-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #312
hopi

Quote:
Working on it,having a tough time with track deletion code and some folder voodoo
you are in our thoughts and prayers
Old 02-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #313
Sexan

haha, ALMOST ready for testing phase no.2, just need to polish removing code ,folders are a bitch to work with (if you remove track version that is also part of a folder etc).
I know you guys are going to break my balls with time selection versions But I love you :*

Very Soon™

Every version (of the script) had some major flows so I ended up recoding again and again,thats why it took so long.

Last edited by Sexan; 02-27-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #314
hopi

we are patient and kind and understanding...

on the other hand, IF I could code my way out of a paper bag, I might be a complainer.... hahaha

happy to watch you hard at work
Old 02-28-2018, 02:04 AM   #315
Sexan

Very Soon™ is today prepare for bug hunting!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:04 AM   #316
amagalma

Quote:
Very Soon™ is today prepare for bug hunting!
Yay!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:50 AM   #317
amagalma

After a very quick demo, some thoughts/proposals:

- It would be nice if the window remembered its last position

- Label "Save" is misleading. "Add new version" would be more appropriate.

- When changing from one version to another, there should be a prompt asking the user if he wishes to save the current version (if it was altered)

- It would be really nice if it could work with multiple tracks selected.

Overall, very nice work! Well done! I did not encounter any bug after some quick testing.

"Schwa for President!" +1
Old 02-28-2018, 03:51 AM   #318
Sexan

New thread is created,please post there https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=203828

EDIT: Sorry for confusion

Last edited by Sexan; 03-07-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #319
musicbynumbers

Cool

Will get back on testing this as soon as I get spare time! Nice work!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #320
hopi

Quote:
New thread is created,please post there
where is this new thread? Is this one now dead???