Old 01-29-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
Icchan
Human being with feelings

Default How in the world do VU-meter images work...

I was trying to figure out how to modify the VU_meters of Fusion-theme so that there would be 3 different colored zones for different dB-values.

After a while trying to google and do forum searches to understand how meter_strip_v.png works, I noticed that there's no real, up to date explanation as to how to make sure that the dB-scale markings in VU-meters (that I'm still trying to figure out how to add to my customized version of the theme) can be aligned.

What I would like is to have green area for anything below let's say -18dBFS and after that, yellow and at the last -1dBFS red.

All I could find was that the image is supposed to be in 32px increments in height (MCP) and what each of those 4 pixel wide bands are for (normal, normal clipped, record arm, record arm clipped etc.) but no examples or explanation can it even be mapped in such a way or why there are many VU_meter imges around that aren't 32px increments in height.

First I was thinking that "OK, so If I have meters set to -64dBFS-0dBFS, then I make 128px high image, that's 2px per dB..." but I chose to ask here first before trying to mess about and waste my time.

Is there a way to do "calibrated" zones in different color in sucha way or is it a pipe dream?
Icchan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:10 AM   #2
cubic13

No, the meters do not need to have 32 vertical pixels increments. For a vertical meter, such as the ones we usually see in a mixer, it actually requires to have a horizontal size multiple of 8 and to be at least 64 pixels high, as I think (one would correct me if I'm wrong) that the highest 32 vertical pixels are used for the clip indicator (defined with the meter_clip_v.png file). There is a lot of confusion in this aspect of theming because the documentation is deprecated, as related to the mcp_vu.png files which are no longer used.

So, why the multiple of 8 ? Because basically, we need eight columns to defined the different colors that will be used for the indicators, respectively and from left to right :

- Unlit
- Lit
- Clipped unlit
- Clipped Lit
- Armed unlit
- Armed lit
- Armed and clipped unlit
- Armed and clipped lit

After this, for each column, all is about the area occupied by each color (green, yellow, red). The height isn't that important but, the more high it is, the more precise will you be able to define the respective area used by each of the three colors. I usually calibrate them using a synth with a continuous signal and looking at the meter value : it's empirical but after few attempts I am able to define the good area for each color, if needed.

Joined here is a meter_strip_v.png derived from the one I use for my CRado theme, which is actually exactly the one used originally in Nick Moritz RADO one : as it was working as expected, I lazily didn't change it, but I could have used this one instead : it has only 8 pixels wide and is perfectly working.

HTWH...
Attached Images
File Type: png meter_strip_v.png (1.5 KB, 84 views)
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
Travesty

Im trying to do the same thing. I want yellow at minus 12dB.

So you're saying we need to create an image like the one attached and tweak the height of each color until we get it right?
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:17 AM   #4
cubic13

Yes. At least, that's how I do it... This said, the height of the joined image of my previous post is exaggerated and I should have redimensioned it to something like 200 pixels, which would have been greatly sufficient.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
lucas_LCS

is there a way to control the width of the midi indicator on the VU meter?
I'm not seeing it other than it being controlled by the meter width.

lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
is there a way to control the width of the midi indicator on the VU meter?
I'm not seeing it other than it being controlled by the meter width.
Not that I know of, sadly, and I remember having fought with this one to get something acceptable for my AbbeyRoad theme.

The only way I found, to keep a reasonable width of it, was to use an overlay file (meter_ol_mcp.png) along with the more "classic" meter_bg_mcp.png one.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #7
Travesty

Thanks, I'll try that then
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:55 AM   #8
DrKev

Here is what I am doing...

Go to Reaper Preferences -> Appearance -> Track Control Panels

See Meter Minimum Value (dB)? If that says -62 then you make your meter graphic file 62 pixels high and you have 1-to-1 relationship between the pixel number and the reading on the meter.

If you don't want to have a flat block of meter and want to make it look a little more realistic, I have found that 11 pixels wide for the meters give the best results, so my files are 88 wide x 62 high.

See Maximum Value (dB)? This is kind of misnamed. For peak meters, this number sets the space above the top of the meter that is used for the overload indicator (which you can also design a little with the meter_clip graphic files). It really only functions as an above zero meter on the master RMS meter.

Musician / Guitar Teacher/ Guitar Tech / ex-Physicist (hence the Dr in DrKev)

Last edited by DrKev; 01-31-2019 at 03:02 AM.
DrKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
sightlessness

Subbed, don't mind me.