Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
PavelZhuk
Human being with feelings

Default VSTi?

Hallo,

Really need help,

I'm new to all this VST ,.,.,

I'm trying to connect Reaper and EWQL Symphonic Orchestra,,thats possible right? :P

the question is how,, what exactly must i do?

I tried to set the VST folder to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
but nothing working.
PavelZhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Tallisman

ok. it seems on the mac there are several potential places for these VSTi to be placed, and most of them contain /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST... some are prefixed with /usr/ or your username...

ANYWAY, once you have determinied where it is the Plugin was actually installed, you need to add that location to reaper's VST plugin path. More than one location can be added there, separated by , comas.

Once thoese paths are set, click on the clear cache and rescan buttons. Reaper will do it's thang and then the plugins should be ready for action.

Find a track. Click the FX button. Pop-up. Click the add button. pop-up. in the filter text box begin typing the name of the plugin you want. when you see it click on it and:
1. press [OK]
2. drag it to the other window (the fx bin window)
3. drag it right to the track you want it on.

for this, select 1... press OK
now that plugin should be in the proper FX bin. right click on the plugin name (control click - you your mouse is button challenged)... look at the options. Select Build Multi-channel routing, and Build multi channel midi.

now you will have 2 bunches of new tracks added to the project: the first bunch will be the audio returns from the plugin (given that it is a plugin with multiple channels). the second bunch will be midi tracks sending to the various midi channels in the plugin.

Make sure you Keyboard controller is connected. Record arm the track. Right click the record arm button and select --> midi input-->all channels.

click on the track monitor button - turn on the monitoring.

play the keyboard... you should now be in vsti heaven.
Note that in order to hear the midi from a given channel of the plugin... the corresponding midi track must be record armed and in monitor mode.

good luck

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
PavelZhuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
ok. it seems on the mac there are several potential places for these VSTi to be placed, and most of them contain /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST... some are prefixed with /usr/ or your username...

ANYWAY, once you have determinied where it is the Plugin was actually installed, you need to add that location to reaper's VST plugin path. More than one location can be added there, separated by , comas.

Once thoese paths are set, click on the clear cache and rescan buttons. Reaper will do it's thang and then the plugins should be ready for action.

Find a track. Click the FX button. Pop-up. Click the add button. pop-up. in the filter text box begin typing the name of the plugin you want. when you see it click on it and:
1. press [OK]
2. drag it to the other window (the fx bin window)
3. drag it right to the track you want it on.

for this, select 1... press OK
now that plugin should be in the proper FX bin. right click on the plugin name (control click - you your mouse is button challenged)... look at the options. Select Build Multi-channel routing, and Build multi channel midi.

now you will have 2 bunches of new tracks added to the project: the first bunch will be the audio returns from the plugin (given that it is a plugin with multiple channels). the second bunch will be midi tracks sending to the various midi channels in the plugin.

Make sure you Keyboard controller is connected. Record arm the track. Right click the record arm button and select --> midi input-->all channels.

click on the track monitor button - turn on the monitoring.

play the keyboard... you should now be in vsti heaven.
Note that in order to hear the midi from a given channel of the plugin... the corresponding midi track must be record armed and in monitor mode.

good luck

.t

thank you for the reply :P
hmm I've tried the user folder,,, didn't work,, didn't have any VST files there at all.

but thanks I'll see if i can find a way to fix this.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
pandar

Default re:VST plugins

Hi

there are 2 locations where VST plug-ins can be located. One is in the root level folder, and the other is in the user folder.

Go to Reaper preferences and find Plug-ins, then choose VST. On the right there is a place to add to path to the plugins. Paste the following string into the box, and it will also add any audio unit plugins that are or become installed in your system

/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST;/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components

HTH

Pandar
pandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
PavelZhuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandar View Post
Hi

there are 2 locations where VST plug-ins can be located. One is in the root level folder, and the other is in the user folder.

Go to Reaper preferences and find Plug-ins, then choose VST. On the right there is a place to add to path to the plugins. Paste the following string into the box, and it will also add any audio unit plugins that are or become installed in your system

HTH

Pandar

hmm,, I did exactly as you said,also added the user folder,
but still can't see any new VST,

as you can see:
[img]http://img372.**************/img372/2499/36621918ty8.png[/img]

is there any free VSTi I can download to check ,,maybe its the problem with the EWQLSO,,

thanks ;p
Old 05-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
GIlJanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelZhuk View Post
hmm,, I did exactly as you said,also added the user folder,
but still can't see any new VST,

as you can see:
[img]http://img372.**************/img372/2499/36621918ty8.png[/img]

is there any free VSTi I can download to check ,,maybe its the problem with the EWQLSO,,

thanks ;p
From the file names of the VSTs, I would say that you installed the PC versions - you need to install the MacOS versions. According to the description of EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, it comes with Windows VSTs, and MacOS VSTs and AUs.

If you select one of those VSTs with the XP in the name, does the show info command show them to be "VST Plug-in" or do they show up as a "Document" file ? If they show up as a "Document", then they aren't a Mac VST.

As for free VSTs, AUs, and more see this forum thread over at BigBlueLounge:

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...ic.php?t=36431

The Remedy VST synth works in Reaper, and so do any of the TAL VSTs.

Hope this helps,
Old 05-24-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
memson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandar View Post
Shouldn't it be a ":" and not ";".. as in..

/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST:/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components

It would be on a UNIX file system, anyway. Never tried it coz all my VST's are in the default location so far.
memson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
pandar

Default colon or semicolon

Shouldn't it be a ":" and not ";".. as in..

/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST:/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components

It would be on a UNIX file system, anyway. Never tried it coz all my VST's are in the default location so far.

Actually, the instruction to use a semicolon is right in the preference box itself (above the box where the plugin path is inserted) also, i did it this way, and it works great!
pandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
PavelZhuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIlJanus View Post
From the file names of the VSTs, I would say that you installed the PC versions - you need to install the MacOS versions. According to the description of EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, it comes with Windows VSTs, and MacOS VSTs and AUs.

If you select one of those VSTs with the XP in the name, does the show info command show them to be "VST Plug-in" or do they show up as a "Document" file ? If they show up as a "Document", then they aren't a Mac VST.

As for free VSTs, AUs, and more see this forum thread over at BigBlueLounge:

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...ic.php?t=36431

The Remedy VST synth works in Reaper, and so do any of the TAL VSTs.

Hope this helps,

Hallo,, i opened the VST and the EWQLSO opened ,,,

I found out that if I uncheck the "get vst plug-in names/types when scanning" the VST show up in the list

but when i add them it sais :

[img]http://img411.**************/img411/6655/95410228dr5.png[/img]

how can i fix the "effect configuration is preserved" thing?
any idea?

thank you much :P
Old 07-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
fenderfrk10

Hey everyone,

I've been using reaper on an old stripped down XP rig for a while now and recently got a macbook which is quite the improvement, trust me. And, of course the first thing I did was get rid of garage band (minus some samples) and slap on reaper.

Unfortunately Im having the same exact problem that Pavel's having and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light

I'm running 10.5.4 if that has anything (or everything) to do with it.

Last edited by fenderfrk10; 07-20-2008 at 02:18 PM.
fenderfrk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #11
vocalnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderfrk10 View Post
And, of course the first thing I did was get rid of garage band (minus some samples) and slap on reaper.
Reaper is very cool, but I'd reconsider throwing out Garageband. It's a very nice little sketchpad for throwing down ideas.

YMMV, of course, but hard drive space isn't all that expensive
vocalnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
fenderfrk10

That's probably true. I guess it just comes down to preference.

Anyway, I ran console after launching reaper, and it gave me successful messages about loading various cockos plug-ins. However, it gave me this in regards to loading the 4front bass module...

7/21/08 1:32:52 PM REAPER[636] Error loading /Applications/REAPER241_098/REAPER/plugins/fx/4Front Bass Module.vst/Contents/MacOS/4Front Bass Module: dlopen(/Applications/REAPER241_098/REAPER/plugins/fx/4Front Bass Module.vst/Contents/MacOS/4Front Bass Module, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/REAPER241_098/REAPER/plugins/fx/4Front Bass Module.vst/Contents/MacOS/4Front Bass Module: mach-o, but wrong architecture

The KVR says its UB but it seems that my mac is saying otherwise

I got turntablist pro and cheeze machine both working though so I'm guessing this whole thing is just stemming from PPC v. Intel issues
fenderfrk10 is offline   Reply With Quote