COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Brennan
hey man

Default wifight 1.0 alpha1 !!!

As mentioned in the chat, wifight 1.0 alpha1 is now available!

Get it at http://wifight.com/test/

It is gonna be posted to the front page very soon! Some good feedback has already been posted in the chat, but please feel free to post here too.

Here's the changelog for this version:
Code:
1.0alpha1:
        all: disabled connect retrying on user cancel
        all: chat nicks wrapped with [] instead of <>
        all: turn download indicator is back on progress popup
        palm: fixed bug where turn # indicator wasn't appearing at first
        all: 'your turn', chat 'loading', and game room 'scanning games' popups are back
        all: fixed new player 'Where to?' popup bug where you always went to chat even if you picked 'spectate'
        all: debugged turn progress clock painting
        all: game details screen displays Draw offering/accepting correctly again
        win32: now with real (NSIS) installer
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
SiKo
Human being with feelings

what is wifight?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
trgeoff

SiKo: see http://wifight.com/

Basu: winclient looking great, I really like the new installer. As mentioned in Chat, Im not sure how/if Alerts on the two systems are meant to talk to each other. Also Filtering seems inactive.

When Im typing a new msg in the win chat window its font is crystal clear, but all posted msgs (at 2x) look a bit blocky. Im guessing that cant be avoided?

Now that you have these two 1.0 versions up on the front page, I will post something about wifight on Little Golem, and try and get some new members from there. Im sure ChessNoAI can be used as a good hook, since people there are always interested in new games.

cheers

geoff
Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Brennan
hey man

Oops, I should have commented out the Alert Prefs for PC since they don't do anything yet. They will, tho.

What kind of filtering do you mean? The game browser filtering? It seems to work when I try it.

The chat font is a bit blocky because it's been scaled up 2x, yep. It might be possible to have it switch to a more detailed font. I want to do a font prefs page where you can config stuff like that.

Please do let LG know about wifight. I hope they like NoAI. If there's an influx of chess variant fans maybe I can do another one sooner than later. There are tons to choose from.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
trgeoff

Yes, twas the game browser filtering that didnt work, will retry again soon.

I posted on LG a little while back now, and there have been 10 new wifight regos since, dont now if thats just a coincidence or not - there were no replies to my post itself. The new nicks dont seem to be really typical (ie slightly more conservative) LG ones, but maybe Im judging that by the nicks of people who post, rather than by the huge user base.

I bought a reversi set and have played one game of chain reaction reversi, it seemed to go pretty well I thought. Its pretty exciting - as one might expect, a single coin placement can cause a massive reversal in fortune!

Ive got a feeling though that one would have to be able to specify some rules for the sequence of flips, because there may be different pathways that lead to different outcomes. For example, one might need to specify that the first thing that happens is that the comp flips all the coins that one would get flipped according to the normal rules. Then, proceed to "secondary" and "tertiary" flipping. Ill need to experiment a bit more. I need to work out some marking system -its gets pretty tricky when you end up reversing about half the coins on a fairly full board!

If I get lazy or confused I could always just put it up as a question on the LG forums. A lot of LG posters are maths geniuses and game inventors who could probably nut out its feasibility in a matter of minutes.

good luck w 1.02!

cheers

geoff
Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
trgeoff

Chain reaction update:

I played another real-life game last night, very methodically, and using lentils as markers for coins flipped within any one move!

It turned out very well. As far as I can tell, the final outcome of any move is actually independent of the sequence of coins flipped (that is if there are several lines of coins that can be flipped at any point it matters not which line you start on). There is no need to first play out "primary" lines of flipping as suggested in my previous post.

So I think this means the only adjustment you would need to make to the "rule-book" is this: as each coin is flipped it will have the same "status" (with respect to its effects) as the coin that is initially placed by the player. The chain reaction should then just play out automatically. I dont know how easy it is for you to make these sorts of adjustments?

Two other points:

(1) I can see why this rule set would not have been used in the original board game : in a big chain reaction, it's difficult to remember which coins have been flipped and which haven't (then again, Im already thinking of some more elegant non-lentil-based way to make it possible for the real-life version).

(2) It's a really good version of the game! The problem mentioned in (1) doesnt rule out good play, because in a big reaction scenario you can still predict what will be the more powerful move, even if its hard to foresee every part of it. The dramatic reversals of color are very exciting, and seem to carry through to the latter parts of the game.

EDIT: In the hour or so I spent searching the web I could not find any discussion of this particular reversi variant.

Last edited by trgeoff; 06-01-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
Brennan
hey man

First off, thanks for spreading the word about wifight

Game browser filter: definitely works here, heh. If it still doesn't work for you with 1.02 then we'll figure it out from there.

An actual, physical reversi setup? Classy.

Now, re chain-reaction reversi: OK, so let me see if I fully understand your proposed variation: each coin that is flipped, then flips all the coins around it, as if it were the coin that had been placed? And then are you saying you make sure no coins are re-flipped (thus the lentils) during the whole process?

I'm not sure why you now say there's no need to specify an order of flipping, because it seems like I could imagine a need for it, with paths of flips interfering with each other. Or do you treat coins as still having their original color until all secondary flips are computed? I might have to just implement a quickie prototype and mess with it. I want to be sure I'm implementing what you're proposing, though.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:29 AM   #8
trgeoff

Filtering: My mistake, it does work. I just always get a bit confused with *how* it works , eg thinking that if I tick the "Show my games" options, I will *only* see my games.

No probs with spreading the word, I want more competition at chess! As mentioned on chat, I've also sent a message to MotionApps re the desire for compatibility of wifight with their PalmOS 'Classic' emulator. There's a special form for developers too:
http://www.motionapps.com/classic/st...ustomer=appdev

Chain Reaction: Yeah you have basically got it right I think. And yep I thought paths of flips would interfere with each other too, but they didnt seem to, to my amazement. However I have now thought of a more thorough test of this very point, and also an easy, lentil-free system of marking coin status that will allow me to test the system much less tediously. It does seem a bit strange that no-one else would have come up with such an obvious variant.

The idea of the status marker is not to prevent re-flipping to your opponent's color - I think that is impossible, since you are always 'adding' coins only of your own color. The markers allow you to track those coins that have already been flipped (within your current turn) as the basis for further flips (again, within your current turn), as the 'reaction' spreads.

The status marker I have come up with could be very easily incorporated into any cheap plastic reversi board, and thus, if Chain Reaction does pan out, this could allow any interested manufacturers of physical Reversi sets to offer both games - the 1st million is always the hardest, eh

Oh and in my searching I came across Reverse Reversi, basically another misere variant that could be added to your collection, with minimal re-coding:

http://www.othello.dk/book/index.php/Reversed_Othello

geoff