Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
dubclub
Human being with feelings

Default Audio recording off time

I am using Version 4.6.11 on a Mac using an Apogee Duet Firewire interface.

I have a song with plugins running, some adding latency. When i record audio (bass in this case) i hear myself in time because I am not monitoring through Reaper. However often the recording is delayed against the rest of the song. I turn off the plugins on the track and the master while recording but i am still getting a delay. Sometimes it is time aligned and other times not. I have tried with the PDC delay option checked and unchecked. Even if I had track fx armed shouldn't the recorded audio still be in time as long as i am not monitoring? In Logic it works fine with the same computer/interface as long i am not monitoring the track.

I have looked around in the forums and not found anything yet to address this issue.

Thanks
Jacob
dubclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
semiquaver

this should not be happening - is the record mode set to "input" ? you do not want the "latency compensated" record mode options. Plugins introducing latency should not be a problem.

you might try a loopback test - recording audio out of one channel and into another to see if latency compensation is working as it should. there are settings that allow to adjust if your interface is not reporting latency correctly...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
dubclub

Ok i have a bit more to add to the mystery. I went back to a track that was recorded in time and recorded over it creating new takes and they were in time. Now i turned the Master track plugins back on to listen and then found i needed to punch in a section. I forgot to turn off the master track plugins and the recording was delayed again. Now when i undid the recording (Cmd Z) turned off the Master track plugs and recorded again it is now off time. Its off by a good half second too.

Last edited by dubclub; 04-30-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
dubclub

Thanks semiquaver,

Everything is as it should be. Record is set to input in Normal mode.

Strange thing it works sometimes and then not others. I am pretty sure it has to do with delay plugin compensation not working properly. Because in a fresh project with nothing on behaviour is normal. Once i do a mix and load up plugins a delay is introduced to a track but only when recording. I haven't heavily tested it yet but it seems to be plugins on the master track (all Waves) causing the issue. Previously recorded audio on the same track plays back in time.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
zeekat

Plugins like lookahead limiters used on a master track add a lot of delay, maybe some Waves limiter/compressor you have there makes timing bad. Best solution is waiting with limiting until everything is recorded I guess.