Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
read
Human being with feelings

Default is there a reason to buy a 4 string bass instead of a 5 string bass for recording?

is there a reason to buy a 4 string bass instead of a 5 string bass for recording purposes?

i am assuming 5 string bass would always be more handy to have is that true?

(not for live purposes just for home recording)
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
OldTascam

Have you played a 5-string bass? If you're good with the extra width and are only going to have one bass, then I suppose 5-string is a good idea for versatility.
OldTascam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
grinder

For me and I have not used a 5 string bass
I have not purchased one for these reasons
My music is not going to have big bass runs up or down the pitches
The 4 string bass has plenty of range for most music I will invent and
if it does not I will figure that out later.
Fitting in a lower bass in digital music is only going to happen in costly
replay gear and higher pitches will disappear with normal guitars.
Okay I have been a little over the top here just trying to be practical.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
zeekat

5s with "normal" spaced strings are kinda chunky with big necks. There's narrow necked ones too but I guess some people may dislike strings being too close to each other here (worse for all the slappings and poppings). Also, 5s tend to be almost always active for some reason - might suck if you'd rather avoid knobby battery powered instrument.

^^ so this is mostly minor things like those. They're quite universal otherwise, I guess.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
tls11823

I had a five-string for about 7 or 8 years and hardly ever used the fifth string. With its dual truss rods and extremely long neck length, the instrument was heavy to wear while playing live and the larger frets were doing no favors to my aging fingers.

I played a four-string medium scale bass of the same make and within about ten minutes had decided to trade in the five-string. It was faster and more comfortable, and I didn't get a sore shoulder from wearing it to play.

If the type of music and/or playing style requires a fifth string, go for it. Otherwise don't bother.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
DVDdoug

That's kind-of a funny question because musicians usually have strong preferences, and they usually don't agree.

(I'm not a musician.)

If you are new to the instrument it's probably best to go with something "standard and popular". And, maybe choose something that's not too expensive in case you change your mind later.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
Lokasenna

- The low B will probably need a longer scale length (35" vs. the standard 34") to intonate properly and sound good. You can buy 34" five-strings, but it will need a larger gauge and still may not work - I have an Ibanez that simply won't intonate the low B no matter what I do. Some people have had better luck with them though.

- If you don't need the extra range I'd say it's not worth the time. If you did end up playing on tracks that might benefit from it, and depending on the genre, you could always move up to the E string's B instead. Plenty of bassists don't actually spend much time in the lowest octave - Steve Harris for one.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
Studiodawg

For recording purposes, I propose any Fender Precision Bass (4-string/passive will be fine)...
Studiodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
not-relevant

Bear in mind your audience and what sound system or device they're going to listen to your recordings on - the fundamental frequency of low B on bass guitar is 31Hz. Not many non-PA systems can reproduce that effectively, which means delivering a consistent mix to all your listeners is going to require some trickery (e.g. MaxxBass)
not-relevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
vdubreeze

A 5 string's value isn't really that you can pound on the low B. It's that that extra bit of range is there to visit when you need it. You don't have to jump up an octave to play that D. Also, a 5 string enables you to play in one position higher up the neck what you would have to shift positions to get if you played it on a 4. You have more range under your fingertips at each position, even if you don't intend to play outside the 4 string's range. I'm a bassist but I don't use a 5 string, for recording or live. I have one bass tuned B-E-A-D (the lower four strings of a 5 string) or drop the low E to D if I want that range. I've owned a 5 and a 6 string but just never came across a (lefty) 5 string that felt like I was happy playing it, or sounded like I wanted it to sound, which is more Pbass punchy and girthy than Jbass, which is what most 5 strings sound like to me. Just never got along with the necks and string spacing. So I conceded years ago it wasn't for me, even though most of my bass playing friends play their 5 string much of the time. It's mostly due being able to play more range in the same position and not move location during those riffs.

If you don't play bass already and are looking for one bass to have for recording, it's a toss up. There's no *reason*to get a 4 string because most of those reasons are from bass players who don't like playing 5's (like me) or don't find they need them. If you come across a 5 string that you love to play and sounds great to you, there's nothing wrong with that (except that it won't sound like a Pbass. Even a 5 string Pbass doesn't ) It's pretty cool to be able to hit that low C once in a while when playing simple bass on a simple song in C. Can't do that on a 4 string.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
Studiodawg

Actually, you can hit that C with a Hipshot drop tuner lever! The #1 reason I've ever heard and made me contemplate keeping those 5 strings that I sold almost as soon as I got them is strictly The Blues...starting with acts in the 1980s (Albert Collins, etc.)...
Old 01-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiodawg View Post
Actually, you can hit that C with a Hipshot drop tuner lever!
True, but your brain can melt playing in C-E-A-D (and the tension and response is a little inconsistent to the rest) and you can't play normally and just visit those notes on a whim. I used to have a Hipshot on a bass set for D and it was great but it's a pretty specific thing, and when I sold the bass I left it on as a sale incentive and then went short scale fretless for 15 years!
Old 01-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
Studiodawg

Quite honestly, read, if you are acquiring an instrument, get what makes you happy and don't overthink it...make music and have fun!
Old 01-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #14
foxAsteria

Since the extra string is probably a low string, a 5 string makes anything you know how to play already very unintuitive. Unless you play a 7 string guitar as well, I don't see much of a need, but if you're new to everything, get whatever you like, you'll get used to it.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 01-09-2020 at 02:41 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
Twangothan

Quote:
For recording purposes, I propose any Fender Precision Bass (4-string/passive will be fine)...
This ^^^. There's a good video on YouTube with a couple of session guys discussing why the P is the one bass you should always have at a session. Not that the others aren't good but the P almost always gets you there.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
This ^^^. There's a good video on YouTube with a couple of session guys discussing why the P is the one bass you should always have at a session. Not that the others aren't good but the P almost always gets you there.
+1

After giving up on my Ibanez because the neck warped I bought myself a used Squier P - probably the cheapest model they make. Got it home, plugged it in, and even without an amp it immediately sounded like a good recorded bass tone.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #17
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
+1

Playing live there's less difference to the audience. But if you have one bass and it's for recording you will never regret a good Precision style bass, while if your only bass is a Jazz bass style there are definitely times when recording when you might go "Uh oh".
Old 01-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #18
Twangothan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
+1

Playing live there's less difference to the audience. But if you have one bass and it's for recording you will never regret a good Precision style bass, while if your only bass is a Jazz bass style there are definitely times when recording when you might go "Uh oh".
I have a Squier P Special which gives you a P with a J bridge pickup and is everything I need. But I'm doing rootsy folk / country and classic rock styles. Other metal type stuff might need something different. I upgraded the pickups to Toneboosters and it's fantastic.

Here's that video.

https://youtu.be/BRlsSC400pM
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #19
Philbo King

I have used both, and prefer a 4 string. Both because I learned to play on a 4 string and sometimes lose track in the heat of the moment, and also because I don't often run into reproduction systems (either bass amp, PA or home stereo speakers) that do a good job at 30-40 Hz.

On the other hand, I was playing guitar at a jam couple years ago hosted and drummed by Maury Baker (drummer for Janis Joplins Kosmic Blues Band back in the day). The bass player, John Hall, had an 8 string bass ( 8 separate strings, not doubled like a 12 string guitar) and he used it in a very effective and excellent way. Maybe the fact he's head professor of the Bass Dept. at U of I in Iowa City is a factor; he knows how to do stuff I can't even dream of.

It was quite an honor to sit in with such amazing players while I played and sang 4 of my songs. I'm not often humbled by greatness, but this was one of those times.

Last edited by Philbo King; 01-12-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #20
ivansc

The way I always look at this is that at least they don't usually have any songs of their own to sing... they were too busy woodshedding their instrument whilst we were woodshedding song writing. Not many of us that are even good at both fields, let alone great!

Speaking purely for myself here, of course.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #21
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
The way I always look at this is that at least they don't usually have any songs of their own to sing... they were too busy woodshedding their instrument whilst we were woodshedding song writing. Not many of us that are even good at both fields, let alone great!

Speaking purely for myself here, of course.
An excellent point. My projects are usually solo efforts, so I'm laying down rythm guitar/piano, bass, drums, vocals, adding leads, harmonies, etc., on a variety of other instruments, just to capture tracks. And I've concluded it's very difficult to the excellent at everything. Not impossible, but damned difficult.

So I've gotten used to playing along with song in loop mode 50 or more times before attempting a take, on each instrument, to give me time to noth develop the part and perfect the performance of it. Whoof!! Eats up a lot of time, for sure!

But on the plus side, it dramatically improves my playing chops on every instrument I use, while also greatly reducing the amount of editing needed to get the whole thing in decent enough shape to begin mixing. And it's certainly a lot more fun to play than it is spending 20 hours editing stuff...

But, to be honest, even after all the practice I put in before recording, I'd be hard pressed to remember how to play any given part a week later... I think there's an upper limit on how many things you can be great at, at one time.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #22
Studiodawg

read, I've been thinking about your original post and since you are using the bass for home recording, as opposed to live & studio, I suggest that you get the 4-string P-Bass I mentioned earlier(if you want to) and if you really need to play the notes from Eb down to B, you can restring it with B-E-A-D instead of E-A-D-G. If you do that, you will need to address the intonation.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #23
read

Quote:
read, I've been thinking about your original post and since you are using the bass for home recording, as opposed to live & studio, I suggest that you get the 4-string P-Bass I mentioned earlier(if you want to) and if you really need to play the notes from Eb down to B, you can restring it with B-E-A-D instead of E-A-D-G. If you do that, you will need to address the intonation.
i forgot thats possible? or it didn't cross my mind, good to know thanks!
Old 01-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #24
ivansc

Bad idea, as you cant just switch between the two string gauges unless you are prepared to either learn how to change the nut & the intonation on your bass every time you do

Ot pay someone else $"$"$ to do it for you. Stick to one or the other or if you HAVE to go with 2 different gauges, buy two basses.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:13 AM   #25
read

Quote:
Bad idea, as you cant just switch between the two string gauges unless you are prepared to either learn how to change the nut & the intonation on your bass every time you do

Ot pay someone else $"$"$ to do it for you. Stick to one or the other or if you HAVE to go with 2 different gauges, buy two basses.
hmm...thought it would be easier, thanks ivansc
Old 01-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #26
Studiodawg

It is easier. You just swap strings and check intonation. It's not rocket science.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #27
ivansc

Studiodawg: You are obviously not a bass player or a luthier.

Difference in string diameter between a typical bottom B and a typical bottom E is big enough that if you cut the nut for a B when you replace the E it will flap around in the bottom of the slot & if it`s cut for an E the B will sit on top of the nut.

Same for all the other three strings, of course.

Not recommended, but I suppose you could just have a loose fit nut for each setup & switch nuts too...
Old 01-19-2020, 08:11 AM   #28
Studiodawg

41 years bassist, not inexperienced, well respected...your nut does accommodate a fatter string in some cases (like mine); the thickness of the B will almost assuredly require it to be snipped to a shorter length to fit on the tuner post and intonation has always needed to be tweaked. Don't mistake a lack of forum posts as a lack of knowledge.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #29
zeekat

I used to detune my 4-string precision-ish bass, don't remember problems with nut, but some .130 strings weren't fitting in the bridge (depending how wound near the bridge end). Solved the problem with a 5 stringer and never looked back. Slightly bulkier dimensions aren't that much of a problem even for my kinda girly hands and I DO need those sweet sweet low noises.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:26 AM   #30
ivansc

Quote:
41 years bassist, not inexperienced, well respected...your nut does accommodate a fatter string in some cases (like mine); the thickness of the B will almost assuredly require it to be snipped to a shorter length to fit on the tuner post and intonation has always needed to be tweaked. Don't mistake a lack of forum posts as a lack of knowledge.
Sorry but you are swtill wrong. Voice of experience here. If your nut will accomodate a bottom string anywhere from the typical 100 E string to a 125-130 B string, your nut is already cut decidedly wrong & your bass wont tune or intonate reliably. Unless of course you have solid evidence to the contrary? P.S. 65 years a gigging musician, 58 years a bass player (grin: Since we are showing our arses in public)

I bet Read never thought he would start BassWarz with his innocent enquiry...
Old 01-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #31
read

Quote:
Sorry but you are swtill wrong. Voice of experience here. If your nut will accomodate a bottom string anywhere from the typical 100 E string to a 125-130 B string, your nut is already cut decidedly wrong & your bass wont tune or intonate reliably. Unless of course you have solid evidence to the contrary? P.S. 65 years a gigging musician, 58 years a bass player (grin: Since we are showing our arses in public)

I bet Read never thought he would start BassWarz with his innocent enquiry...
this is interesting and its good to learn! thanks guys!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #32
Studiodawg

ivansc, I wish you only peace and good intonation. As for a cheap home recording bass (4 or 5 string), whatever...have fun!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #33
ivansc

I know, mate - was just enjoying discussing arcane bassiferous stuff for a change. More fun than people whose Waves plugs dont work!

And like I said earlier, I would buy 2 cheap basses if I really felt I just HAD to have a low B or a high C.... I have seriously considered getting a hipshot D tuner for my P Bass, which would cover just about anything I might want in the way of sub low E string, but there again one tone lower is no big deal on most regular basses.

Another thought: I have yet to play a really cheap 5 string that didnt sound and play like crap.

Read: If this is for studio work, unless you are going to be playing it yourself, why not just get a bass player in and let him worry about having the gear? I`ve never done a studio session where the engineer was expected to provide an instrument for anyone apart from piano bashers.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #34
Studiodawg

Two basses would solve the question at hand, both is way easier than all the rigmarole we've been discussing. I have a Hipshot on one of my basses. I really only use it for jam tunes in the key of D. YMMV
Old 01-25-2020, 04:24 AM   #35
I'm not a robot

As a bass player myself, I say you need as many basses as you can get hold on. You never know

There is a trick where you use an octave down pedal and play from the seventh fret. It works live at least, just dont venture into open E-string territory with the effect still on.

I have four 4´s, one of them is fretless, an upright, a cigar-box bass with three strings, a six-string bass, and for the moment I´m all set.
I'm not a robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #36
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm not a robot View Post
As a bass player myself, I say you need as many basses as you can get hold on. You never know

There is a trick where you use an octave down pedal and play from the seventh fret. It works live at least, just dont venture into open E-string territory with the effect still on.

I have four 4´s, one of them is fretless, an upright, a cigar-box bass with three strings, a six-string bass, and for the moment I´m all set.
Ha Ha! I remember going through that phase!!!
Sold my upright & bought a rather nice Bassix ultra compact Jazza, which I love... but I miss the intimacy of a real steam bass.
I am currently down to a prototype Epiphone Explorer bass with a bolt on neck that sounds & plays like a precision, a mad 1980s Starforce USA P/J in gold crackle finish, 2005 AVRI Fender `62 Precision & a Danelectro baritone - one of the first reissues since the 1960s - with the wooden bridge. Love em all but my hands are falling apart, so I may have to buy a Ukulele bass...
Old 01-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #37
JeffreyET

Being a semi-retired luthier, I have built a 5-string for myself that is optimized for my recording style. Slightly narrower string spacing (no popping but about 40/60 fingers/pick), stereo output with assignable channels, simple passive 2-Volumes, low output low impedance neck PU at end of fb, LACE bassbar in Ric bridge position, medium stainless frets (yes medium is good with bass, 5-piece neck through with double truss rods and CG reinforcement, and Iron Works strings. After lots of experimenting, it positively kicks tail.
I go the opposite way than most when running stereo: Neck PU captures the "clank" and higher notes & usually panned a little, and Bridge pickup gets the tight throaty low tones.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #38
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
And I have never recorded a 5 string bass that sounded close.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:37 AM   #39
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
And I have never recorded a 5 string bass that sounded close.
FDirst love true love, Kenny. I bought a used 62 precision in 63 & had to sell it.
Went through travis beans Rickenbackers, violin basses, you name it. Wound up with free Explorer prototype witha bolt on neck and a precision pickup. And now I have come full circle to a reissue 62 precision. Happy me
Old 01-27-2020, 04:16 AM   #40
Geoff Waddington

Disclaimer -- I play roots music -- Blues Soul Funk Country Swing with a touch of Jazz fusion -- this may not apply to you.

I'm also very organic when it comes to electronics -- pure preamp no EQ -- that sort of thing.

I grew up playing bass in the black clubs of Halifax NS that were so black that we looked down on Sly as "West Coast Psychedlic Shit" - I'm serious

My heros were (and are) Duck, Chuck, James, and Rocco.

I never learned to pop and slap.

I've owned/rented/played a myriad of basses.

Had one custom made from ONE piece of Wenge wood (neck and headstock included) -- 36" scale beast with ebony bridge -- I play REALLY hard -- it's dead now -- truss rod broke.

My friends kept beating me up "What's the matter Wadd, afraid to give a 5 a fair try?" when I told them I hated the Fender Jazz 5 from around 2000.

I was doing well in the software game then, so I bought a damn Sadowsky 5 PJ -- beautiful instrument, still sounded like a damn synth though

Then I put my amateur physicist hat on, did some reasrch and came up with this plan, which I executed last fall.

1 - Get a cheap Fender Precision (I got a Squire CV for $250) with a nice neck and overall feel.

2 - Replace the pickup -- I used the Roger Waters Schecter from the old Wenge wood monster.

3 - DON'T change the bridge -- that old door hinge apparently is a huge part of the thud/thump of a P.

4 - Put on a set of LaBella 0760M -- .053 .073 .095 .110 -- the same strings I always used, as did the 4 above mentioned bassists.

I always laugh when a sales dude holds up a bass sustaining away with a massive bridge -- I look at him and say "I don't know about you, but I rarely do that man, I make my living in the rhythm section"

Emboldened, I took my active J, that plays nice but sounds like crap, tore the electronics and pickups out of it and made a back pickup only J with the Schecter from the Wenge, which now lives on in spirit in two basses

I'm happy -- you should hear those 2 through the Great River -- Yummmmm !!
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote