Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
EpicSounds
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper always starts with wrong window layout

REAPER never reopens with the same view as when I quit the program. Often the video window is on top when it wasn't open previously.

What's the trick to always opening with just the arrange view?

Another problem is that the video window covers all other floating windows such as the preferences and render windows. IMO those two windows should be always on top whether pinned or not. Oh Render window can't be pinned.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
semiquaver

I confess I have never understood the logic here! same problem - mac maverics
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:35 AM   #3
X2theL

I've been having the same problems, so I've been testing this a little more systematically.

When I open Reaper 5 I have two dockers attached to the main window, one on the left and one at the top. Also, a small mixer window is floating on top of the it all.

When I close the mixer window and immediately quit and restart Reaper the window stays closed. The same happens to the video view and to the media explorer when I close them before quitting.

But as soon as I load a screenset which has those vews in their particular docking state (I have one with a floating mixer window and another one with the video view docked in the top docker and the media explorer docked at the left) the same weird window mix comes back at startup, no matter what screenset I have loaded when I close Reaper.
X2theL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:57 AM   #4
heda

Yes, I think there is a bug or something in REAPER 5, because I am noticing also that layout is not saved. This didn't happen in previous versions.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
EpicSounds

I've had trouble with this for years but it's been slowly chipping away at my sanity till I had to post something.

I've found that it doesn't remember window positions if you use screensets but does if you manually resize, open or close a window.

at least for me on OSX.

I always forget to do this because I use screensets so much.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
heda

I think it happens to me since I upgraded to REAPER 5
Why? No idea
I've tried to load the screenset and resave the default template file but nothing. It always starts with a wrong screenset, which is none of my saved ones.
So now I need to manually load the screenset I want every time I start REAPER.

by the way, today I also got the video window opened when I started REAPER, and it wasn't there last time I closed REAPER.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
ivansc

Are you all on Macs? I am on win 10 and Win 8.1 and don`t seem to have this issue.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
EpicSounds

I'm sure I had the problem around 4.0 when I was on Win 7.

I have a theory that if you don't use screensets you'll never run into the problem.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
Paul99

I have v4.78 regular installed and v5.01 portable. I also have problems when using screensets, also already somewhere in v4. And it is an extra problem because when I start v5.01 normal, the screensets do not work properly. But here is the strange thing: when I start v5.01 as admin, the screensets do work correctly. And also I had to import my config while running v5.01 as admin. And when I strat v5.01, it is always a surprise with what windows Reaper will open this time ;-)
I thought all this was due to the portable version. But maybe there is something more the matter?
Oh, btw, I am on Win 7, x64.

Last edited by Paul99; 08-30-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #10
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Are you all on Macs? I am on win 10 and Win 8.1 and don`t seem to have this issue.
I'm on Win 7 64bit, REAPER 5.01

I've tried with a portable new installation and it works better.. the latest screenset is loaded when starting.
But still something wrong
I created one screenset without the mixer window,
and a second screenset with the mixer window open in a second monitor..
then I switch to the first screenset, where there is no mixer window(MCP) exit REAPER, open REAPER again and the first screenset is loaded but mixer window is displayed. I load the first screenshot again manually and the mixer window is closed as it should be.
I guess with more windows configurations and more using of screensets and different windows, the thing can become more complex.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
heda

I think I will have to delete all screensets and recreate them to see if it works better.

edit: I just moved reaper-screensets.ini... so a new blank one is created.
started REAPER again and created a new screenset after modifying the transport position that was not being recalled in the screenset. Now it works.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
REAPER never reopens with the same view as when I quit the program. Often the video window is on top when it wasn't open previously.

What's the trick to always opening with just the arrange view?

Another problem is that the video window covers all other floating windows such as the preferences and render windows. IMO those two windows should be always on top whether pinned or not. Oh Render window can't be pinned.

Quote:
I've had trouble with this for years but it's been slowly chipping away at my sanity till I had to post something.

I've found that it doesn't remember window positions if you use screensets but does if you manually resize, open or close a window.

at least for me on OSX.

I always forget to do this because I use screensets so much.
My god this is STILL happening. WTF Reaper. Such a basic thing is so wacky.

Regardless of templates loading on startup, windows opened or closed, Epic is SPOT ON.

Loading Reaper always has all KINDS of wacky things. Like a media explorer window randomly docked on the far right of the GUI. LOL I've never docked that thing EVER. Why would Reaper do it now? Every time I start it up? LAME.

Windows and layouts are NEVER predictable on a fresh startup of Reaper. Don't matter if I choose load a template or just empty project. FAIL.

Dear Lord. When can this be fixed. Things like this really hold Reaper back from being a big player. I mean seriously. The gloves need to come off people.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
heda

I agree this should not happen
But from time to time it happens. And I can't figure out why.

What I do is, in the new file just created with default layout, reload the screenset windows layout. And resave the Default template file.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #14
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I agree this should not happen
But from time to time it happens. And I can't figure out why.

What I do is, in the new file just created with default layout, reload the screenset windows layout. And resave the Default template file.
Nope. Tried that too. Reload And Save the default does not always promise it loads correctly. Sorry, but I cannot confirm that. If you can, you're lucky and I'm jealous.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #15
EpicSounds

I started using SWS Project startup action with my default template. Close enough.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
LightOfDay
Banned

you are all on macs? I have never seen this problem. (Windows 10)
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #17
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfDay View Post
do you use screensets?
Old 03-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #18
Justin
Administrator

I can't duplicate this, using screensets and OSX 10.11... can you make a licecap of it happening, or is it terribly intermittent? Coming up with steps to reproduce would be helpful...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #19
heda

for me it's not very reproducible (win7 x64)
it happens maybe once a week or two and no idea why.

sometimes I launch REAPER and it is the media explorer visible docked somewhere, when I'm sure I didn't have it visible at all, or sometimes it is the item properties window opened without any item selected (all grayed) and I have no items in the default template and didn't close REAPER before with the item properties window opened either. I think it only happens if using a project template.

oh I remember now that lowellben mentions that saving the template again doesn't work. it's true that once it didn't work for me either. The only solution I had to do is to delete the reaper-screensets.ini and lose all the screensets and recreate them again. But normally I don't need that drastic way.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #20
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I can't duplicate this, using screensets and OSX 10.11... can you make a licecap of it happening, or is it terribly intermittent? Coming up with steps to reproduce would be helpful...
For me it's often the video window pops up on startup but was closed at last quit.

Try resizing the TCP width, opening the video window floating, then loading a screenset to go back to default before quitting.

Maybe you can clarify how things are supposed to be.

when you close reaper, is it expected that it will load next time with the same windows docked, floating etc?

Is loading a screenset the same as closing all the previously opened docks and windows?

Can reaper quit more slowly and make sure all plugins, drivers and everything is shut down?

If you have a control surface the faders don't reset to -inf at exit like would happen if you closed the project first.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #21
EpicSounds

ok here's a short video, as mentioned above I use SWS project startup action to load screenset 1. You should be able to see the problem right before that action runs and how the layout isn't the same as how I left it.

My theory is that loading a screenset doesn't write to the ini.

https://youtu.be/iwai6k6n0II
Old 03-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #22
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfDay View Post
Windows 7,8, and 10 64 bits show this behavior. Consistently.

Truly, bizarre. Just as bizarre as when changing screensets the whole damn Reaper GUI flickers and briefly shows my desktop and then flutters to render each piece of the new screenset. And no, I have a kick ass GPU so it ain't that

But about this loading issue, it's seriously 9/10 times where I close Reaper and open it with simple random windows and layouts on reopen.

I'll try and make a video too but.
It's seriously hard to pin down.

Imagine installing Reaper, and leaving default layouts.
Open the program and close it, a few times.
Among those times, it's 99.9999% likely that you'll see a docked media explorer, floating video window, random toolbars?

It does some that MORE often than not, if I open or "use" a window or feature in Reaper, it's heavily favored in the "random" behavior on reloads of the program.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #23
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Windows 7,8, and 10 64 bits show this behavior. Consistently.
try backing up the file "reaper-screensets.ini" somewhere else and delete it. Start REAPER and try again doing new screensets. Is it better now? or same problem? It worked for me. You lose the screensets of course but at least it may work for some time.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #24
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
try backing up the file "reaper-screensets.ini" somewhere else and delete it. Start REAPER and try again doing new screensets. Is it better now? or same problem? It worked for me. You lose the screensets of course but at least it may work for some time.
I can try it sure, but please note this bug is NOT dependent on use of screensets. FWIW.

It's a general occurrence.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #25
mschnell

I don't know if this is related:

I have the Mixer and the "Monitoring" effect chain in the docker.

When starting always the Monitoring effect chain is shown and I nearly always change to the Mixer and leave it visible.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-06-2016 at 04:00 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:14 AM   #26
+NRG

On REAPER load I get floating master MCP, track manager, etc... Things that I know we're not so when I saved / closed REAPER. But, if I stretch out the TCP (for example) to the right it consistently remembers that.

I do use screen sets.

Windows 10 64 / current REAPER version.

No problems with flickering / showing desktop when loading screen sets...
Old 03-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #27
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by +NRG View Post
On REAPER load I get floating master MCP, track manager, etc... Things that I know we're not so when I saved / closed REAPER. But, if I stretch out the TCP (for example) to the right it consistently remembers that.

I do use screen sets.

Windows 10 64 / current REAPER version.
Ding ding ding. Some things are "remembered" some are forgotten. A lot is flat out random and nothing I've ever touched before lol.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #28
lowellben

Deleted screensets ini, it did nothing. Windows are still remembered in random and nothing remotely close to what the user has done in previous projects.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #29
Dstruct

No layout remembering issues here. But I'm also not using screensets.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #30
WyattRice

Slightly off topic, but related. If the devs work on any of this,
could you please allow Reaper to remember the vertically scrolled position of where it was when you saved a project?
"Make Reaper remember the vertical scroll position on saving and loading project"

See this post

Thanks, Wyatt
Old 03-30-2016, 03:55 AM   #31
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Deleted screensets ini, it did nothing. Windows are still remembered in random and nothing remotely close to what the user has done in previous projects.
Just an fyi for devs,

STILL AN ISSUE. It's laughably consistent. Reaper just screams unpolished when crap like this happens. On every startup. I've deleted INI files, tried startup hack actions to work around, and it's just flat out unacceptable.

Sometimes my video window is floating. Sometimes my docker is hidden. Sometimes it's correct and my default layout project loads. UGH.

Reaper should ALWAYS open with the correct layout every time, chosen by user of course, end of story. Anyone arguing against that is clearly trolling or not with it. Why is this still a thing?

I would really appreciate it if people stopped blaming the users and instead realize that Reaper is in dire need of addressing these unpolished "bugs" because it IS bringing the rest down. It's not the user. It's not the DLL or INI files. It's Reaper. It's not because I didn't clean my cookies out. It's not my OS.

It's Reaper.

Is anyone serious about polishing up this DAW and fixing these hiccups? I'm happy to help. Whenever.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #32
ivansc

Part of the problem here Lowellbein is that you are part of a tiny minority who actually have this problem.
Apparently most of us do not.
That is the problem with intermittent or non-generalised things like this.
And of course if the devs cant reproduce it, that further complicates matters.
At least Justin is in there slugging for you.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #33
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Part of the problem here Lowellbein is that you are part of a tiny minority who actually have this problem.
Apparently most of us do not.
That is the problem with intermittent or non-generalised things like this.
And of course if the devs cant reproduce it, that further complicates matters.
At least Justin is in there slugging for you.
Define "tiny minority".

I believe it's larger than you think, people just cope. And wait.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #34
ivansc

I was using scientific method: Counted up how many people were complaining about the same issue.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #35
G-Sun

Still no solution?
Seems very random here.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #36
lowellben

Until either the "right" person has this issue or enough people join together, it will likely go unfixed because it's "impossible to pinpoint". Just because a few people have the issue and most don't, doesn't mean it's not an issue worth fixing. Reaper is amazing, LIGHT YEARS beyond other DAWS including Pro Tools, in many areas.

But Reaper is unpolished and lacks a lot of fine details that do add up to a frustrating daily professional workflow. Oh well. Take the good with the bad. Right?
Old 04-23-2016, 12:27 AM   #37
ivansc

I think it would be well worthwhile to keep plugging away at trying to get a capture of this behaviour.
You may be small in number, but hopefully enough of you that one person at least will get a decent cap of this.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #38
EpicSounds

my video from March
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwai6k6n0II
Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #39
lowellben

Quote:
Yup. Nailed it too.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #40
lowellben

Quote:
SO sad too, that only 11 views? It goes to show where the focus really is with everything moving forward. Oh well.