Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
DOMLIP
Human being with feelings

Default Distortion only while Recording

OK, here's the set up: cheesegrater Mac Pro (16 GB memory) with Mackie 1620 mixer with Firewire. I am trying to record a Waldorf Blofeld (patch G108) that has a nice swell to it. I ensured that the volume isn't peaking.

If I am not recording the sound while in monitoring mode, it all sounds fine. As soon as I start recording i get this crackling which is also in the wav file.

I have tried all sorts of different settings, default latency, high latency settings. Buffer settings as well.

CPU monitor is barely budging, I record other sounds/instruments without the issue.

Thanks in advance.
DOMLIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMLIP View Post
I record other sounds/instruments without the issue.
This data point eliminates the computer, Reaper, and your audio interface from the list of suspects. The issue is something with the analog connection into the interface. That the distortion is inaudible at times is perplexing. But if you can record other things with no problem and it's just one electronic keyboard instrument that has an issue, it's that input and nothing to do whatsoever with the digital system (computer or digital hardware).
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
DOMLIP

The part that confuses me is why would it only get distorted when I hit the record button.. If I just monitor it there no distortion.

The patch does have a lot of white noise.

If I am recording and monitoring could I be double feeding something? I have checked the Mackie's manual but haven't found anything. I also tried recording it with all monitor paths off.

Thanks,
Dom
DOMLIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
serr

I'd look for something like double routing (and thus distorting) the input, yes. (Of course this leads to: Why isn't it affecting any other input sources in the same way if the input gets double routed when you click record and thus switch to input monitoring.)

I just played logic with the first thing you wrote. It still doesn't sound like anything related to software issues. You can record any other analog input via your audio interface with no issues right?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote