Old 05-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
suleiman
Human being with feelings

Default Paremeter Mod : Incoming MIDI Velocity

How do I do this ? I am trying to modulate an fx parameter with the incoming MIDI velocity on the same track. I can kinda see where its done, but not how its done. Any help would be much appreciated.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:52 AM   #2
Eliseat

That's something I also asked myself often: Why is it impossible to use the midi velocity as it is supposed to? There is a work around by using the "JS: Midi Velocity to CC and Back" but it feels a bit strange to me. Though its working like its supposed to. Just put it before the FX and send the velocity input to a certain cc and then midi modulate your parameter with it.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #3
Eliseat

Forgot to post the source for the JS:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=21320

Just put the .txt into your Reaper effects directory.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:12 AM   #4
Trancit

Much easier if you can live with modulating the parameter from a single note:

- Bring up the Parameter modulation/Midi Link window for the parameter you want to modulate
- in this window choose "Link from Midi or FX Parameter"
- in the selector where it says currently "none" choose: Midi > Note > whatever note you want ...

If you hit now this note with different velocities it sets different values for this parameter, which can be finetuned with offset and scale

EDIT: With less finetune but working quite good for whatever note is played is: JS: Note to CC

Last edited by Trancit; 05-20-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Trancit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:36 AM   #5
Trancit

What I still miss is a Midi note Pitch to parameter link so that the pitch of a played midi note defines the value...

There is a "Pitch" option in the midi section, but this only works for pitchbend
Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 AM   #6
suleiman

Thank you for all the suggestions. I was aware of them, and was thinking by now reaper param mod would have a straight forward 'incoming midi velocity ' based assignment.

I think the closest is the midi note linking. Maybe send the incoming midi to another track, use one of the stock js plugs to narrow it all down to a single note, and link to the param. Will report back in a day or two.

Salamat
Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #7
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. I was aware of them, and was thinking by now reaper param mod would have a straight forward 'incoming midi velocity ' based assignment.

I think the closest is the midi note linking. Maybe send the incoming midi to another track, use one of the stock js plugs to narrow it all down to a single note, and link to the param. Will report back in a day or two.
Why the heck would you do that?

The JS I linked just does everything you need. Put it before your instrument or FX and modulate the parameter you want via velocity. Everything is self explaining. But if you like it more complicated ...? Then route your midi as mentioned. Just saying.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:35 AM   #8
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancit View Post
Much easier if you can live with modulating the parameter from a single note:

- Bring up the Parameter modulation/Midi Link window for the parameter you want to modulate
- in this window choose "Link from Midi or FX Parameter"
- in the selector where it says currently "none" choose: Midi > Note > whatever note you want ...

If you hit now this note with different velocities it sets different values for this parameter, which can be finetuned with offset and scale

EDIT: With less finetune but working quite good for whatever note is played is: JS: Note to CC
Much easier? You mean its easier to trigger the modulation velocity via one midi note rather than using the velocity that's already played? Can't follow you. Or the OP.

Anyway.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
Trancit

OK... much easier is eventually a bit overdone :-)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Eliseat

But I have to say could be a cool way to modulate an already existing track.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #11
Time Waster

The ReaRack MIDI Mixer JSFX has a variety of options, including converting velocity to CC, or the MIDI message type of your choice. Happy to have someone test it: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33309/Time...0MIDImixer.zip
Old 05-22-2018, 06:11 AM   #12
suleiman

OK, this needs some background.

Im trying to make and share the smallest possible drum instrument in Reaper, that emulates real drums through modulation. I'm half way there, just need the midi vel -> parameter link to make it complete.

this is in complete opposition to the kind of drum kits I normally do, which is tonnes of velocity layers and round robin samples.

i know the js does it, but its not part o the standard reaper pack, and i want the drum kit to be as simple as possible and definitely 'plug n play'.

Salamat
Old 05-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #13
Eliseat

So I guess you mean manipulating the samples to simulate hard or soft hits thru velocity?

I already do this sometimes if a snare or kick drum needs color. Mostly I modulate an EQ band at 7.5 khz and a high pass to not only decrease the volume per velocity but also the sound to make it thinner with less high end the less velocity comes thru. It also could be a good thing to modulate the pitch of a snare randomly for a tiny amount to simulate different hitting variations. And last but not least it fits in the natural feeling if a sound gets shorter and more percussive with a lower velocity.

I'm curious what you try to create.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #14
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
So I guess you mean manipulating the samples to simulate hard or soft hits thru velocity?

I already do this sometimes if a snare or kick drum needs color. Mostly I modulate an EQ band at 7.5 khz and a high pass to not only decrease the volume per velocity but also the sound to make it thinner with less high end the less velocity comes thru. It also could be a good thing to modulate the pitch of a snare randomly for a tiny amount to simulate different hitting variations. And last but not least it fits in the natural feeling if a sound gets shorter and more percussive with a lower velocity.

I'm curious what you try to create.
exactly , except as discussed above, i cant find a way to use incoming midi velocity to modulate anything.

Salamat
Old 05-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #15
Eliseat

Use the script from xackley: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=21320

Save the txt in your effects directory (options, show resource path ... etc.) In FX explorer search for "velocity to cc and back". Put it in the FX chain before the VSTi and select the range of notes you want to send the velocity from. Leave everything as it is. And in the VSTi or the FX just modulate your parameter with the midi cc 10 (Pan). (Its the default cc)

I do that very often and it works like a charm.

No idea if Time Wasters script works the same way. But I will check it soon.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #16
ashcat_lt

You can't modulate based on MIDI velocity, but you can modulate based on audio volume. Depending on what you're trying to do, and how silly you're willing to get, you could try...

Add ReaSynth early in the chain. It will just happily play along with the same notes that are triggering the drums. Send its output to an unused track channel so that it is "seen but not heard" using its I/O pins. Then grab whichever parameter you want to modulate and use PM to follow audio from ReaSynth's channel. You can "overwrite" that audio channel from this plugin on in the chain if you've got something to put there. It might be best to mute it somehow in order to avoid accidental beep boops, contamination of sidechains, etc.

Then you'll have to mess with the various parameters to see if you can get something that works. One thing that might be an issue is that the values only "stick" for the duration of the MIDI note. Since drum notes are usually very short, that means it starts to fall back to the baseline almost right away. You can change how long it takes to get there using either the Release time in PM or ReaSynth or both if you want. That's not the same as just staying in one place, though. I have a JS MIDI Note Length on my studio machine that could help with this, and I didn't think I'd downloaded it, but I'm not finding it on my newer clean install, so...???
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote