Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
TaylorKing
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Playback and Rendering Volume Too Low/Not At Unity

HELP! I suspected this was the case for a while because while tracking and mixing, before i start adding any limiting or master buss compression, the volume in general is quite low and i have to jack my speakers and/or headphones to get it comfortable.

I tested it today against Cubase, and VLC media player, with the same mastered track and everything at unity, Reaper is noticeably lower on playback and rendering?!

I'm running an RME Fireface UFX. Up to date drivers, functions perfectly. Going to try reinstalling Reaper first I guess, but I feel like this problem has plagued me for a while across several installations and I just stomached it/haven't bothered to dive into it. If anyone has any ideas or has run into similar issues before I'll be forever in your debt. Cheers
TaylorKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
TaylorKing

Ok... I think it was my Pan Law settings. I had them at -3db which I thought was standard/default, but apparently not.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
TaylorKing

So changing back to 0db helped, but I like the -3db law. So if you change the Global/Project Settings Pan Mode to "Dual Pan", that should do the trick... I think. My brain hurts now, I need to go have a lie down...
Old 11-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorKing View Post
So changing back to 0db helped, but I like the -3db law. So if you change the Global/Project Settings Pan Mode to "Dual Pan", that should do the trick... I think. My brain hurts now, I need to go have a lie down...
It's a whole sordid story:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=231241

If you want what other DAW devs consider -3dB Pan Law, then choose the option:

Right-click on the Pan knob and set it up like this:

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andrew K
audiobro
web | www.audiobro.com