Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 01-31-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default my music list.. some good some bad

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 01-15-2024 at 08:42 PM.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
scottieboy

dude tune your guitar
scottieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieboy View Post
dude tune your guitar
hehe yeah on a few of those live acoustic ones there are some seriously out of tune guitars... hehe... the anal among us usually tend to pick out those things ...

but i think you may want to tune your responses a bit
Old 02-01-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Jae.Thomas

updated with old link with first album, 2001, earlier stuff.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
scottieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
hehe yeah on a few of those live acoustic ones there are some seriously out of tune guitars... hehe... the anal among us usually tend to pick out those things ...

but i think you may want to tune your responses a bit
haha, ok, i only listened to the first two, and both the guitar was horribly out of tune, making the songs unlistenable. your playing is pretty good though, so its a shame that the guitar is out. secondly, the levels were not balanced. the vocals seemed extremely too high, especially when shes belting it out it was the only thing you could hear. but like i said, i only listened to the first two, and IMO, they need some work.
scottieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
Jae.Thomas

thats better , and i fully agree. The ones you heard were recorded mono on a portable recorder that is extremely sensitive to overage. hehe... therefore when she belts it out it takes over the whole thing.

and yes, on those acoustic recordings (i will specify what is what in my list from now on) my guitar is definelty out of tune. doesnt bother me too much but i see your point.

thing is, they are live and are, by no means, quite obviously, definitive recordings.

thanks for being constructive.

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 02-01-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Alistair S

I haven't listened to too many yet, but I like Dark in The Country a lot - did you write it?

Holly can sing too
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Jae.Thomas

in dark in the country i am responsible for:

the bassline (wrote it , recorded it, and am rather proud of it)
lead guitar parts (wrote em recorded em)
arrangement
recording
mixing

I wonder if i should just fade out the parts that arent mine --- or not put the vocals in or something....

but the other stuff wouldnt make sense then!! And i kinda feel that it is my song too, now.

same with "rise every day" -- not my song but i wrote the bass line and recorded it so i put it up... I love that bassline... you can tell its just a demo cause im screwing up all over the place, over and over again cause i was testing out different things.... but its cool.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
Jae.Thomas

update with entire first album included.

updating links that were stashbox and got corrupt

adding id3 tags....

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 02-09-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
Jae.Thomas

All links eggdisked

New older stuff

New stuff with holly.

older midi only song

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 02-10-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:08 AM   #11
Gerry G

Default Jason Great to hear you singing

You have a kickass voice.

I am going to be supercritical, not because I think it is bad but because I think it is good. I like some sublime sounds there, just listening and enjoying without being critical.

Listened to a couple and ok, they were out of tune.

Then I came back because I feel I know you, a little bit anyhow, and know that you are better than that. Glad all over that I did.

DARK IN THE COUNTRY is fantastic. The guitar and bass parts are the best parts of it. This is seriously twisted sound at its best.

She has a sweet voice but I get the feeling she does not fit this song completely. I do not want to be hard on her because she has a beautiful folksy voice and I love that.... in its place.

The song reminds me of the theme to 'Black Books', my favourite recent TV theme. Anyway it only has glancing similarity. It is not even in the same genre really.

I would like to hear it descend into a maelstrom of sound like some of those Beatles mixes.

There would be a lot of hard work on some poetry to go with this and lots of trimming and redoing (the words) could produce a really great song.

You have everything, bastard. I am not envious. I am NOT envious. Ok, a little, but in the most admiring sort of way.

Then if Quentin Tarantino did not use this in a movie-----well--- people would start to say he was past his prime. He would have to go into advertisements for credit cards.

If that is really you singing on 'Old Man' then you definitely should do a version of Dark in the Country. That or use the bass line, arrangement guitar bits and recording with your own voice doing something absolutely different. Some of the tail-offs do not work.

Old Man is great though. Bass needs compressing or more compression, redoing, and a beat to supplement the bass.

Last edited by Gerry G; 02-11-2007 at 04:56 AM. Reason: I was too sycaphantic first time
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #12
Jae.Thomas

wonderful, thanks for your comments -- i am not sure if i could do "dark in the country" -- it is not my song and i dont really talk to the singer anymore. That is a different singer than most of my songs. (me or holly usually are singing) -- but i know the general style is something i will come up with again (the general feel, bassline, guitar) so im sure the future holds something just as spooky.

thanks for your comments again!

Old 02-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
keyman_sam

I listened to only one song, but the first thing that i thought was that it could be used as fodder for glitch and ambient soundtrack stuff like autechre, Mouseonmars, BOC, etc.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Jae.Thomas

wow, i wonder what song you heard?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
keyman_sam

Crap i forgot. I click randomly on one of the links, and opened it in wmp. It was because of rhte quality of the recording and the guitar out of tune, that i thought it can be used as sample material for glitch, etc.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #16
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
Crap i forgot. I click randomly on one of the links, and opened it in wmp. It was because of rhte quality of the recording and the guitar out of tune, that i thought it can be used as sample material for glitch, etc.
there is a certain quality to them eh? hehe crap sound, decent performance for first times

overall, enough emotion to justify it, imo

hope you get to listen to more and (you remember it this time - must be all that beer ).
Old 02-12-2007, 03:02 AM   #17
smasha

Your voice kinda sounds like the guy from Wilco.

Last edited by smasha; 02-12-2007 at 03:15 AM.
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 AM   #18
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasha View Post
Your voice kinda sounds like the guy from Wilco.
Wilco eh? ill have to get ahold of some of that stuff.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #19
Almy

I like the wierd stuff you've got, Midqual, World of Freedom, For a Kiss, et cetera. It's cool to find someone that reminds me of a combination of Dead Can Dance, Bjork, Portishead, and Meat Beat Manifesto.

Tafton Fields and Sungreen have that nice mix of Blind Melon (no not the bumble bee stuff) and AIC.

Btw I'm not trying to categorize it, just trying to put into perspective why I like it. For some reason I can't get past 'favorite,' cool song. Grab that girl and do it again with a Massive Attack meets early AIC meets Peter Gabriel live on stage kind o' mix!

Anyway, some cool stuff.
Almy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #20
Jae.Thomas

well thank you for your comments!!

I realize my stuff isnt really "radio friendly" it is a bit weird, the stuff ive written, but it is a reflection of me, really. My next 2 cds are being written and its going slowly, but nothing like an unsigned double album
Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #21
Jae.Thomas

added an old cover of Neil Youngs "Campaigner"
Old 02-21-2007, 01:08 AM   #22
Gerry G

Default A collateral thanks for your comments Almy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almy View Post
I like the wierd stuff you've got, Midqual, World of Freedom, For a Kiss, et cetera. It's cool to find someone that reminds me of a combination of Dead Can Dance, Bjork, Portishead, and Meat Beat Manifesto.

Tafton Fields and Sungreen have that nice mix of Blind Melon (no not the bumble bee stuff) and AIC.

Btw I'm not trying to categorize it, just trying to put into perspective why I like it. For some reason I can't get past 'favorite,' cool song. Grab that girl and do it again with a Massive Attack meets early AIC meets Peter Gabriel live on stage kind o' mix!

Anyway, some cool stuff.
Gee until I read this I could not download anymore of Jason's music as my dialup would take forever. Some of it I really like.
I way prefer wierd to predictable. Also to hear something original and good and weird is manna.

Now, with Almy's critique I can go straight to some that are more likely to be good and interesting.

Ha Dead Can Dance started about a mile from here. We play a lot of their old venues. Glad she got into film stuff like Gladiator as we would not have had a chance with such a talented artist on the local scene.

What are the etc's that you liked Almy? I won't ask Jason as I feel it is wrong to ask a person to categorise their own work. OTOH if Jason gave a hint about any other tracks that were in a similar vein or that were interesting listening, how could I object?

Massive Attack is one of our girl singer's favourites. We have big arguments between testostrone and oestrogen. Kind of like being married without the sex. Somewhere there I hope it gives birth to androgenous offspring.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #23
Jae.Thomas

gee gerry Im not sure...

I think all my music is sort of inacessable and strange, quirky.....

I wouldnt be able to categorize it.

added the "oldstuff" montage of cool vintage Jae Merrill/Eclectus band
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 AM   #24
Gerry G

Default What are you playing/doing in the older stuff/other stuff?

I just like to hear who is playing/singing/beating up the drummer/drama oops. Also who wrote what? Kinda venues it was played in to start with.

To my mind some of the legend around music is every bit as important as the music itself. I mean legend in the map sense and not made up hype. Knowing the surrounding stuff means that the type of thing Art posted about, computerised/plagiarised stuff becomes non-issue as you understand the context. Music is too beautiful a blessing to be isolated from its creators and matrix.

Oh well there is my little bit of serious philosophising for the day.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #25
Jae.Thomas

hehe, which song exactly are you talking about?

(about the drummer/drama)
Old 02-21-2007, 01:59 AM   #26
Jae.Thomas

ahhh

the "old stuff song"

the first song in the montage is

0:00

"branded red" and that is an "eclectus song" I did all the guitars, and my friend who was in the band played the synths and drums on an old casio keyboard

0:50

the next song is me and my dad, me singing horribly out of tune in 95... a song called "amanda" (amanda beckerman are you still out there? )

my dad played a single snare drum.

1:04

next is another eclectus song, ironically about my dad, my drum programming and vox and guitar, drums done on dr. rythym, guuitar thru the zoom 505...

wow what crappy songs heeh

2:00

ok next one is "yellow" a song i wrote in feb 97, just me on guitars and vox

3:00
next song is called "take from me" and was redone for my first album. Again, all me on claps, vox, and guitars.

4:16
this is me and my dad again in 97, this time he had a full drumset, adn its a song i came up with on the fly, somewhat a pearl jam ripoff, a bit punk, improv'd lyrics, hence why they are so bad

6:05
this is me and my dad yet again, but in the summer of 96, with just his snare drum... this is a song called "field of the sun" It reminded me of silverchair at the time.

7:20
Just me again, in a song called "halo" which again, i redid for the first album, sort of a happy, but sad song at the same time. None of my songs could ever be truly happy hehe...

8:38
Hate Nation, just me and a casio keyboard in the winter of 96
hate... dont you love...hate...dont

9:11
something i made up in my apt. around 1999... just playin around on acoustic guitar, into a crappy tape recorder.

All the other ones, All these songs were recorded on the same radio shack karaoke machine and mic as pictured here:

[IMG]http://img228.**************/img228/7336/picture10bf1.jpg[/IMG]

and here

[IMG]http://img228.**************/img228/4511/picture7fc7.jpg[/IMG]

and here

[IMG]http://img228.**************/img228/5145/picture22fl7.jpg[/IMG]

more pics here
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...2&postcount=33

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 02-21-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:02 AM   #27
Gerry G

Default Ah just got a few

Only new one I have heard yet is "15-Midequal. Fn love it.

You have to do something with Jed. No forget Jed, He lives under a (long white) cloud. Melbourne is great. Bevoss may have QE2 and Queen Mary, Oh they have lots of queens up there. Mal may have sunshine and a great studio but we have Art.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:07 AM   #28
Gerry G

Default Oh that meant mid quality penny just dropped

Ah neither 09 Waitin nor 08 For a Kiss will open in WMP 11. They open and play in Reaper though. What sort of weird codec is that?

Maybe 24 bit or something?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 AM   #29
Gerry G

Default Joke done to death but...

Dangerously emo haircut.

Don't play music with Pipe. He is too sober. Christophe and Justin too far away and too near Silicon Valley. Besides their gear is too serious.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:11 AM   #30
Jae.Thomas

this my dad playing drums:

[IMG]http://img228.**************/img228/5732/picture4ii6.jpg[/IMG]

here is me with the other member of eclectus:

[IMG]http://img228.**************/img228/2879/picture17kk8.jpg[/IMG]

another guy I was in a band with a short while

[IMG]http://img77.**************/img77/2363/picture3jg3.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 02-21-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #31
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
Ah neither 09 Waitin nor 08 For a Kiss will open in WMP 11. They open and play in Reaper though. What sort of weird codec is that?

Maybe 24 bit or something?

I dont know, i use winamp so i wouldnt realize it.

It is likely a VBR mp3 codec tho, likely LAME.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #32
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Dangerously emo haircut.

Don't play music with Pipe. He is too sober. Christophe and Justin too far away and too near Silicon Valley. Besides their gear is too serious.
these pics are 1996...

totally pre-emo

NICE TRY!!

Old 02-21-2007, 02:17 AM   #33
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Only new one I have heard yet is "15-Midequal. Fn love it.

the actual name of the song contained therin is "backtrack.parasite"

and its basically just a reversed guitar put to a drum loop i made in fruity, sequenced in ACiD 2.0....

and i made some wicked digital distortion at the end
Old 02-21-2007, 02:56 AM   #34
Gerry G

Default Was going to ask what was reversed there

I like the dynamics of going from acoustic to heavy in Waiting. There is some seriously good stuff there.

Your post was very, well lulled you into a sense of bad expectations because, quite frankly you had to listen past the first few songs as they are not that good because of tuning etc.

The later stuff, if you persist, is well worth just enjoying as much as any good music. I am a total bitch when it comes to critiqueing as I have had so many band members that I have lost the art of being diplomatic.

Also I just like some of the music. My friend Taasha said it was good, which, for her, is like saying it matches Tchaikosky or Beethoven. She hardly ever calls music "good". Well she is young and hard to please.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:14 AM   #35
Gerry G

Default Just got a call for an instant gig in 20 mins some bar.

Gotta shower, restring the Ibanez, check the Epi Casino, check that I have the pod, sm58, Fender amp, didgeridoo, boomerang, djembe, vibroslap and gumleaf. yep gotemall.

Speak soon.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #36
Jae.Thomas

thank you for your kind words, gerry. I think i should re-order my list and more properly define the songs that are contained under certain sections.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #37
Jae.Thomas

merged this thread

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...35&postcount=1

into this one.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #38
Gerry G

Default yes I would put some of the really good ones at the start

I have a few short very different 'montage' tasters for different purposes.

Have not done any promo yet so this is untested theory.

I am putting together the heavy rocky covers for 'Bogan' bars (outer suburban or country venues, think of the Blues Bros and chicken wire across stages), original and spacy ones for small inner city places and Afro/Carribean/Cuban dancy stuff for larger inner city venues where drums are ok.

Oh then there is the proper interesting and original music one for discerning venues where they actually expect people to listen and enjoy instead of getting (or being) smashed.

None play a full song but they capture good audience reaction even if they are not great acoustically or even the best renditions of the songs.

I have excised all the bad sounding songs where there are off key notes because the singers could not hear themselves and had bad foldback etc.

When we play, well quite honestly if they pay well then we rehearse it and put on a show.

If not (especially if they are making lots)....then... well we just turn up without showering or dressing up and use it for rehearsing new stuff that is full of mistakes and we take our time between songs and play self indulgent new solos and stuff.

That is the theory anyway. The sad reality is that sometimes this last approach works ok and they like it, like tonight. I think we were so relaxed and playing Jamaican/Afro/didgeridoo stuff that people in the street outside started dancing and came in.

I thought we were crap so ran out to pack my gear around the corner. I didn't realise that the owner was giving out expensive top shelf drinks to the others and asking us back.

To be truthful, we were not hitting the right notes at times and it was obvious to us but the guy who brought us along creates a great vibe. He is a Yemenite Israeli but is very dark with an Afro so could be Aboriginal at a pinch. He plays good percussion and 'trombone-like variable pitch didgeridoos'.

When we finished some drunk came in and hassled all the pretty girls until they left, so no fringe benefits. That is probably more fantasy than reality anyway.

Rant over.

Yes I would definitely start with something original and good with a second song in the same vein. Has to finish on a couple of good ones and the trick is to maintain quality in the middle so it does not sag below the level of good taste there like a misbehaving eq graph.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #39
Jae.Thomas

updated with more old stuff, new post....

thanks cyberturbo
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #40
Almy

Ack, just saw your question about my comments on the songs. Sorry I've been away a bit, sort of. Well not sure I could remember which ones I was referring to what to be honest!
Almy is offline   Reply With Quote