Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
Borodog
Human being with feelings

Default Incomplete video import

Hi guys, I've searched and searched but have found no solution to this problem. Some time ago, I noticed that Reaper was only partially importing video files, specifically .mpeg files. The video might be 66 seconds long, but upon import, Reaper only shows the first ~4 seconds. I have updated VLC, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
Eliseat

Hi,

I never ran into this problem. So its not easy to find a solution without knowing more detail. What I would suggest is to upload the mentioned video file so that I can test it here to see, if I get other results. If you don't want to post an official link in the forums, you could alternatively send it per PM.

Greetings
ELi
Old 05-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
Borodog

Thank you for the reply. I'll send you a PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodog View Post
Thank you for the reply. I'll send you a PM.

Hi Borodog,

I checked your video and I can tell for sure that its your video codec what makes problems. For some reason the clip has no proper end time - if I run it with vlc it shows 00:00 as start and end time. That's a hint that something isn't supported or correctly encoded. The codec info says its a mpegv codec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://mpeg.chiariglione.org/standards/mpeg-v
MPEG-V (Media context and control), first published in ISO/IEC 23005 and the 4th edition under way, provides an architecture and specifies associated information representations to enable the interoperability between virtual worlds, e.g., digital content providers of a virtual world, (serious) gaming, simulation, and with the real world, e.g., sensors, actuators, vision and rendering, robotics.
So this is no standard mpeg which can get decoded easily with vlc. Its a special codec witch isn't supported properly - at least it doesn't work like a normal video.

I have no idea if there will ever be real support. If you only need the animation (without the additional information) you could encode it with a common codec like h264 in high quality.

So I fear there is no other help or advice. If you need further help for encoding etc. just ask.

Greetings
Eli
Old 05-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
Borodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Hi Borodog,

I checked your video and I can tell for sure that its your video codec what makes problems. For some reason the clip has no proper end time - if I run it with vlc it shows 00:00 as start and end time. That's a hint that something isn't supported or correctly encoded. The codec info says its a mpegv codec.

So this is no standard mpeg which can get decoded easily with vlc. Its a special codec witch isn't supported properly - at least it doesn't work like a normal video.

I have no idea if there will ever be real support. If you only need the animation (without the additional information) you could encode it with a common codec like h264 in high quality.

So I fear there is no other help or advice. If you need further help for encoding etc. just ask.

Greetings
Eli
That's what I was afraid of. Sadly I have no control of the video codec being used to create the mpeg; it's baked into the software. The whole reason I wanted to import these videos into Reaper was to re-write them out in a different format. If you have any idea of how I could "fix" these videos, I would appreciate it. But thank you very much for the help!
Old 05-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Eliseat

Hi, I have sent you a link with the encoded video. I tried several encoders but nothing worked. They all show only the first few seconds of the format. But ate least this time Adobe Premiere Pro showed why it is so expensive. It was the only software which was capable of loading the video and finally encoding it with easy.

Hope that helped a bit.
Greetings
Eli