Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 AM   #1
Mcgiver69
Human being with feelings

Default Tonelib GFX

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share this with you (unless you already knew about it). This is a poor man's Guitar Rig with a good number of guitar amps and effects which can be used as VST. It comes native for Linux or can be used with Wine.

It works the same way you create patches in a multi effect and comes with some good presets that can be tweaked or can be used to learn your way around the plugin.

It's totally free and all you need to do is to create an account and download.

It's very cpu friendly and to be honest I liked the sounds more than Amplitube and Guitar Rig (less fizzy).

There are 2 bass amps too (Ampeg & Fender Bassman).

Give it a go, it's free and to be honest at this moment there are not many Amp simulators for Linux.

https://tonelib.net/gfx-overview/
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Peevy

Thanks for the heads up on this one!!

I couldn't get Amplitube 4 to work after the latest update to wine-staging 4.8, & was thinking "I wish there was something comparable in linux vst fomat". Then I saw this post. GREAT TIMING!

While it's far from the level of A4 in features, it's pretty damn good for free & the best amp sim multiFX plugin I've seen for Linux. I's very usable & I think I'll be using it form now on in case A4 stops working again (got it working again by rolling back to WS 4.6). I especially like that you can use your own IR's.

Now if only there was something comparable to Kontakt for Linux.......
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
Glennbo

Thanks for posting this. I have Guitar Rig, which works but it is running in WINE and bridged with LinVST which can't be as efficient.

I almost never use amp modeling because I have a mic'd and isolated speaker cab in the closet with tube amp and tube FX in the main room. There have been occasions though when I decided later that a crunchy sound would have been better than a clean one I recorded with, and that's when I mainly use amp models.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Stringer

I downloaded this and ran the installer but in my regular account it doesn't install. In my superuser account, it installs, but is then not available in my regular user account.

Foiled by Linux again!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I downloaded this and ran the installer but in my regular account it doesn't install. In my superuser account, it installs, but is then not available in my regular user account.

Foiled by Linux again!

Since I'm on an arch based distro that doesn't use deb installers, I just extracted it with the archive manager, then extract it again from data.tar.xz into my .vst folder.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Glennbo

I didn't want to run the installer, so I opened the file with Engrampa and looked around in the folders until I found the .so VST file and then only extracted that into my .vst folder.

Worked like a champ and the only thing new on my drive is the one single file "ToneLib-GFX.so".
Old 05-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Since I'm on an arch based distro that doesn't use deb installers, I just extracted it with the archive manager, then extract it again from data.tar.xz into my .vst folder.
I try to always extract the VST myself if I can. I just don't want any extra stuff on my SSD and won't ever use a stand alone version so I just grab the .so file and nothing else now if I can.