Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
Icchan
Human being with feelings

Default Recorded, embedded MIDI-items don't respect media-item name configuration...

FR: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228344

So I just realized this, it apparently didn't matter to me before this, but if I record audio, the media item gets named according to the wildcards I've set at the preferences.

(Preferences -> Audio -> Recording -> file name format for recorded files)

But if I record MIDI, they only get "[track number]-[track name]-RECORDED MIDI" and that's just not acceptable for me at the moment. I need them to have name of the project, timestamp, name and number of the track it was recorded on etc.

I've figured out while searching that this behavior has been in REAPER since forever (decade at least) and only way to change it is to set REAPER to record midi in separate .MID files and it warns me that it's "less flexible" regarding editing, but doesn't explain how or why.

I tried to check SWS as well, but there's no real solution since Label processor doesn't support time stamps etc. for wild cards.

Is it really something that needs a FR to get fixed? I mean I don't want to give out any features or flexibility that embedded MIDI items claim to have, but I would want any recorded MIDI takes and items follow the media item name preferences...

Since one can give custom labels to any MIDI-items after the recording, there's no real explanation why they can't follow the file name settings even if they're embedded in .RPP file.

Has anyone else come across this and how have they solved it?
What exactly are the limitations in flexibility between embedded midi items and .MID files in this case?

Old thread about the same issue: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1480056

Last edited by Icchan; 12-18-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Icchan

I never thought I'd have to do bump to a post after a day since it was buried under REAPER 6 posts and didn't get any views and thus no replies ;D
Old 12-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
Icchan

I made a FR on the forums, please chime in!
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228344

I'm surprised there's so little interest in this feature... Is it already implemented and I've just missed it?
Old 02-17-2020, 05:51 AM   #4
Icchan

Bumb!!!

I'm baffled nobody else has had any issues with this...
Would be nice to even know what it means that ".mid files allow better editing" there's nothing on that even in the user guide or forums.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
Would be nice to even know what it means that ".mid files allow better editing" there's nothing on that even in the user guide or forums.
Using in project MIDI items (rather than separate .MID files) for your MIDI items bestows some important advantages. For example, you can use your undo history to readily undo MIDI editing actions. You can also save different versions of the same project with different MIDI arrangements for individual items. Overdub/replace recording will not work correctly with .MID files.

Apologies that this wasn't previously documented: surprisingly (to me at least) AFAIK nobody has asked this question before.

This will be added to the 6.14 version of the User Guide (too late for 6.13, sorry )

Last edited by nicholas; 07-22-2020 at 05:39 PM.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Using in project MIDI items (rather than separate .MID files) for your MIDI items bestows some important advantages. For example, you can use your undo history to readily undo MIDI editing actions. You can also save different versions of the same project with different MIDI arrangements for individual items. Overdub/replace recording will not work correctly with .MID files.

Apologies that this wasn't previously documented: surprisingly (to me at least) AFAIK nobody has asked this question before.

This will be added to the 6.14 version of the User Guide (too late for 6.13, sorry )
Thank you. ^_^
Yes I've ran into this issue myself of late when I want to make sure I know where every midi item is originally from. It can get confusing at times with big projects.

But this also means that this definitely is an important FR. There doesn't seem to be an obvious technical reason why the embedded items don't follow that naming scheme.
Could be just an overlooked thing back in the day when the naming wild card feature was introduced.

Let's hope it'll get some traction from the community and devs notice!