Old 03-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
daverich
Human being with feelings

Default Just bought a macbook...

After getting the problems with the Dell and it's lovely DPC latency issues.

Eeep!

Hoping that Reaper OSX is running well....

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Dirk

Welcome on the dark side Dave !
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
daverich

being an avid linux user I do feel kinda dirty....

but not as dirty as trying to run vista!

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
pixeltarian

you picked a good time. the osx version just got a lot of love. you can even use PPC plugins. the spitfish and the SSL LMC-1 both work. no GUI, but they work with reapers GUI. which is better than "all hope is lost for the fish fillets"
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
daverich

well, it just seems like if you wanna run a daw on a laptop then the macbooks are pretty much the only option.

It's a shame, 'cos they're pricey - but hey ho

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 03-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Dirk

maybe pricey but consider the time you have for your music... not thinking bout viruses or
driver shit !
Old 03-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
maybe pricey but consider the time you have for your music... not thinking bout viruses or
driver shit !
indeed.

Keep talking, my wallet my stop crying....

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 03-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
indeed.

Keep talking, my wallet my stop crying....

Kind regards

Dave Rich
and people will think you are cool when you bring it to starbucks.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Dirk

what is avid linux ??
Old 03-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Dirk

i now avid was digidesign..
Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
zoso2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
i now avid was digidesign..
avid: having or showing a keen interest in something.

Linux is a free open source operating system, extremely stable, very fast and there is a linux distribution out there for almost every need. even music production. Mac OSX and linux are both Unix based OS's so you can't really go wrong
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Dirk

uhh.. ok i was thinking about that company...
Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
you can even use PPC plugins.
On an Intel Mac?! HOW?!?!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
EricM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
On an Intel Mac?! HOW?!?!
Using Rosetta converter.

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=54111

e
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
Banned

Isn't it nice and quiet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
being an avid linux user I do feel kinda dirty....
Just open Terminal for comfort.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Isn't it nice and quiet?

Just open Terminal for comfort.
hehe,

I'm totally converted I have to say,- been spending a few days moving everything over to the mac - handy that open office runs on it.. which reminds me must check if inkscape does...

-edit , wow it does!

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #17
Banned

Yeah, GIMP, Blender work fine too. :-) And Pure data... Been using NeoOffice myself as an office suite, working fine.

A few nice little OS X apps you may have missed so far: MIDI Monitor, LineIn, SoundFlower (I assume you already know Jack from Linux). Nice tweaks: Afloat, BetterTouchTool, Displaperture. Best (OS X only) Reaper complement imho: Numerology. You may also like junXion for remote controller stuff.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
ricdude

Keep the Mac software suggestions coming!

Now that I've confirmed that Reaper works with my most important hardware (M-Audio Ozone) and plugins (Guitar Rig, Battery, enough synths to keep me busy), It's only a matter of time until I get a MacBook, and convert my FLStudio projects on my Dell over over to Reaper.

The Dell has served me well over the years, but it's time to consider upgrading, and keeping up with Windows updates pains me. I'm also an avid Linux geek, so I appreciate what openness exists on the Mac (most Gnu-based software can work on it).
ricdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #19
passerby3141

I am a recent Mac convert myself. I got a MacBook Pro through my job. I don't have a good firewire interface yet, so I haven't used it to record yet, looking forward to trying Reaper on a Mac! Reaper runs great on my old XP AMD X2 machine, keeping that machine useful as it slowly ages into obscurity...

I think I may never go back to PC at this point. Vista and Windows 7 both seem like disasters to me when it comes to Pro Audio type stuff, just way to much system usage for the operating system alone. XP was the last great Windows platform, many businesses still haven't "upgraded".

Maybe I'm getting older and more busy and the DIY ethic of building my own machines has lost it's luster, or, Mac's really are that much better...can't honestly say which it is.

But, I can say that the extra cost for a MacBook is well worth it after spending some time working with one. The mouse pad is just SOLID responsive and clicks are very accurate. The scrolling behavior on open windows is so smooth and easy to control with the pad. The case is SOLID, the screen is great...I could go on. It is just top notch build quality all the way through, should out live any other laptop I have laid my hands on by a long shot. Worth the extra money I say.
passerby3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #20
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by passerby3141 View Post
I am a recent Mac convert myself. I got a MacBook Pro through my job. I don't have a good firewire interface yet, so I haven't used it to record yet, looking forward to trying Reaper on a Mac! Reaper runs great on my old XP AMD X2 machine, keeping that machine useful as it slowly ages into obscurity...

I think I may never go back to PC at this point. Vista and Windows 7 both seem like disasters to me when it comes to Pro Audio type stuff, just way to much system usage for the operating system alone. XP was the last great Windows platform, many businesses still haven't "upgraded".

Maybe I'm getting older and more busy and the DIY ethic of building my own machines has lost it's luster, or, Mac's really are that much better...can't honestly say which it is.

But, I can say that the extra cost for a MacBook is well worth it after spending some time working with one. The mouse pad is just SOLID responsive and clicks are very accurate. The scrolling behavior on open windows is so smooth and easy to control with the pad. The case is SOLID, the screen is great...I could go on. It is just top notch build quality all the way through, should out live any other laptop I have laid my hands on by a long shot. Worth the extra money I say.
Funny you mention the touchpad,- my wife played around with mine for 10 minutes and decided she had to have one,- she's now looking for a reasonably priced refurb macbook pro 15.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #21
passerby3141

The touchpad is better than a mouse, especially an Apple mouse. Being a PC user and builder I became very used to left click right click. The Apple mouse just clicks, with the pad, it senses when you click with two fingers for right click. Scrolling up and down and left and right using two fingers makes navigating web pages and documents so easy. Also the right click functionality makes running Windows using parallels almost just like using a Windows machine, this is something I have to do for work.

So yeah, the pad is huge in my book, I agree with your wife.

I didn't even mention the power plug, magnetized! It will not break! The cable just pops out if it is stressed! All of these little designs I used to turn my nose up at, but after living with one, I am really a convert now.

I'm a little ashamed still! But who cares, this thing rocks!
passerby3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #22
daverich

Quote:
The touchpad is better than a mouse, especially an Apple mouse. Being a PC user and builder I became very used to left click right click. The Apple mouse just clicks, with the pad, it senses when you click with two fingers for right click. Scrolling up and down and left and right using two fingers makes navigating web pages and documents so easy. Also the right click functionality makes running Windows using parallels almost just like using a Windows machine, this is something I have to do for work.

So yeah, the pad is huge in my book, I agree with your wife.

I didn't even mention the power plug, magnetized! It will not break! The cable just pops out if it is stressed! All of these little designs I used to turn my nose up at, but after living with one, I am really a convert now.

Also, in prefs you can set the bottom right of the touchpad to be right-click,- i've found that really useful, especially with reaper.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #23
jonny_irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
um no. by installing reaper. it has a ppc bridge built in. that's what brought me here. I read I can use my beloved ppc plugs again. VST GUIs don't show up, but the AU ones do.
jonny_irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #24
norbury brook

Quote:

They wont break but the tiny springs that push out the 4 brass pins wear out so they don't make a connection when you plug it in, I've had two go on me and two batteries in 3 years on my MacBookPro.

I boot into windows to use Reaper,OSX can't do low enough glitch free latency for live playing unfortunately.Great for doing my invoives and web surfing though.

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #25
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
They wont break but the tiny springs that push out the 4 brass pins wear out so they don't make a connection when you plug it in, I've had two go on me and two batteries in 3 years on my MacBookPro.

I boot into windows to use Reaper,OSX can't do low enough glitch free latency for live playing unfortunately.Great for doing my invoives and web surfing though.

MC
eh? i'm getting great latencies with my emu0404 usb

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 04-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #26
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:

MC
I also get lower latency in OSX than on XP. Not saying that's always the case but maybe you could check your settings on OSX so there's nothing funky there.

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 04-06-2010, 03:30 AM   #27
Thehaxx

My pro-audio life changed when I got a mac pro.

Just got a core i7 Imac and shit is so fucking real on it!!! You should see me making things in logic. Everything is seamless and anything is possible. All utterly stable with the most amazing toolset for arranging and editing.

My life has changed

Once we start doing some more tracking I'm going to try x64 mac logic and im pretty sure it will be a very similar experience!

All the best with your computer. Just keep your love for it from your partner - they get jealous easy :P
Thehaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #28
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
I also get lower latency in OSX than on XP. Not saying that's always the case but maybe you could check your settings on OSX so there's nothing funky there.

Regards,
- Jonas

ASIO by its nature has inherantly lower latency than core audio at the lowest OS level.I'm not saying OSX doesn't do low latency it just doesn't work as well at low latency as ASIO.I need to be able to run Garritan Steinway,Halion with scarbee rhodes etc at 64 samples from my laptop for my Live keyboard rig,in mission critical situations. Regardless of what i've tried I can't do this on OSX.I've no axe to grind here against any OS I use what ever give the best performance and under these conditions in my experience,which is 10 years of building DAW's and my computing days go back to the Atari and cubase 3, has shown me under real world conditions that ASIO is a better low latency model than core audio.

I was involved with a big TV show last year and there were three of us with mac book pro's,mine was the oldest. The other two guys couldn't reliably run piano's/sample libs etc less than 256 without getting the odd crackle and pop,which for TV is not an option.THey were using mainstage, I was using reaper under XP I sent Justin some photo's to show him reaper in operation on Saturday night prime time TV

Try running this under reaper/Cubendo OSX.

24/96 project running full EW QLSO platinum pro with ALL sections(strings,Brass,Woodwind,percussion) loaded with all Master instuments i.e. every articulation loaded and ready to go at 1.5 ms latency

MC

Last edited by norbury brook; 04-06-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #29
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
ASIO by its nature has inherantly lower latency than core audio at the lowest OS level.I'm not saying OSX doesn't do low latency it just doesn't work as well at low latency as ASIO.I need to be able to run Garritan Steinway,Halion with scarbee rhodes etc at 64 samples from my laptop for my Live keyboard rig,in mission critical situations. Regardless of what i've tried I can't do this on OSX.I've no axe to grind here against any OS I use what ever give the best performance and under these conditions in my experience,which is 10 years of building DAW's and my computing days go back to the Atari and cubase 3, has shown me under real world conditions that ASIO is a better low latency model than core audio.

I was involved with a big TV show last year and there were three of us with mac book pro's,mine was the oldest. The other two guys couldn't reliably run piano's/sample libs etc less than 256 without getting the odd crackle and pop,which for TV is not an option.THey were using mainstage, I was using reaper under XP I sent Justin some photo's to show him reaper in operation on Saturday night prime time TV

Try running this under reaper/Cubendo OSX.

24/96 project running full EW QLSO platinum pro with ALL sections(strings,Brass,Woodwind,percussion) loaded with all Master instuments i.e. every articulation loaded and ready to go at 1.5 ms latency

I did not know that ASIO had an by its nature inherantly lower latency than core audio - do you know why that is? (Not trying to be cute, I really want to know. Irony and the internet ... : )

As for myself I seldom use softsynths or samplers, I mostly track and mix drums, guitars, real clavs (piano, rhodes) and vocals and in that case I can get away with lower latencies on OSX than on XP before I start to get crackles.

And boy I wish I could try EW QLSO, I really miss fooling around with those big samples libraries from back in the days when I... eh, downloaded stuff I hadn't really payed for : )

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #30
mike373

Hey DaveRich....

Congrats on your Mac purchase... Welcome to hastle-free computing. Dude.... leave the windows off of your mac. Why ruin the good experience. I had been a dedicated PC guy for 14 years, up until 8 months ago when I got my first Mac. No more fiddling around with windows registry, or having unexplainable problems with audio device config. Everything "just works"... what a concept.
Give yourself a pat on the back, and use REAPER for OSX. You will see that these machines are worth every penny.

Mike

Last edited by mike373; 04-06-2010 at 09:45 AM.
mike373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #31
norbury brook

JOnas,LOL

I see you're in Umea, I've actually been there!!! I did a blues gig many years ago in a litle club there :-)

I can't find the article I was looking for. I read an article recently that went into technical detail about why ASIO had inherantly lower latency than core audio.Something to do with ASIO only needing to make 1 call to core audio needing to make 3 for each sample processed.

MC
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #32
larrygates

hmm this is interesting. Looking at the praise here for the new Macbook pros, I have the core duo 17" macbook pro. It works does what it needs to. I don't have the windows issues some of you guys are talking about.

I'm not looking to spend that 2000+ for a laptop again (actually 3000+ when I bought my macbook).

So the PC laptop guys, I presume none of you had the i7 or i5 laptops at the time? No one here can chime in on that? Also, I suppose no optimus or nvidia GT 300m cards etc . . . TI chipsets etc . . .

Norbury, I haven't checked out latency and macs in a while. I wonder if you're right? I simply can't remember doing anything on macs, and I was 7 year fanboi!
larrygates is offline   Reply With Quote