Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
jerryteacup
Human being with feelings

Default How to import MIDI to existing tracks?

Greetings... again.

Now, some time ago Reaper started behaving differently than before - and I don't know why.

Previously, when I inserted a MIDI file, the tracks were placed on EXISTING tracks, no matter what they were (and that was fine).

BUT SUDDENLY, when I insert a MIDI file, Reaper insists on creating NEW TRACKS! That's a bit of an annoyance and I can't find the option to switch it back to the previous behavior - using EXISTING tracks and not making new ones.

Any help?
jerryteacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
ELP

for example:
reaper
Media Explorer/Options or right klick in media explorer window
Default action.../
A:insert media on selected track
B:insert media on new track

put checkmarks at A
---

Reaper bid
if you think to find nothing, then always remember to right click everywhere.

or something like that ..

Last edited by ELP; 11-24-2014 at 05:02 PM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
gofer
-blänk-

I think jerryteacup is talking about multichannel MIDI. They can optionally be opened with each channel on a separate track.

Nevertheless, although I always find the dialog misleading (checking "Expand [n] Midi tracks to new Reaper tracks?" can mean "use existing tracks"), I can't recreate the issue. I can let Reaper use existing tracks without problem.

How exactly are you inserting?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
ELP

"I think jerryteacup is talking about multichannel MIDI. They can optionally be opened with each channel on a separate track"

Option/Media/Midi
Import multichannel Midi files
A: As a multichannel item on a single track
B: As single channel items on multiple tracks
C: Always prompt when importing multichannel.....

but this one is also important for Midi to "existing" tracks
Media Explorer/Options or right klick in media explorer window
Default action.../
A:insert media on selected track
B:insert media on new track

Last edited by ELP; 11-25-2014 at 11:03 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
B: As single channel items on multiple tracks
This is the part he has problems with, if I understand correctly. I assume that only because he wrote tracks in plural, so I might well be wrong. I think we need a better issue description if we want to get somewhere with this.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
jerryteacup

Alright, let's see (Now I also have the damn Media Explorer).

Just so you'll know, I'm not confusing MIDI channels and tracks. My MIDI files can have multitrack files where the note channels aren't specified (except for Channel 10). One track can therefore have multiple channels.

From Preferences -> Media -> MIDI I have "Import multichannel MIDI files: As single-channel items on multuple tracks."

I've selected the track and location I want the MIDI in, then gone to Menu Insert -> Media File.

I get the MIDI FIle Import popup and 3 checkboxes:

[ ] Expand ?? MIDI tracks to new REAPER tracks
[ ] Import MIDI tempo map to Project tempo map at **.*.***
[ ] Import MIDI markers as project markers

Now, regardless of what I put on the first checkbox, I get new Reaper tracks - just in a different configurations. Previously when I left that unchecked, the MIDI files were thrown into the existing tracks. Now it doesn't happen.

Using the Media Explorer doesn't change the outcome.

So, suddenly Reaper is now more interested in which channels the MIDI notes are on, creating more tracks than the MIDI file had, since it obviously uses more channels than tracks. This didn't happen before.

This issue becomes problematic because I sometimes have several songs in a row within the same Reaper file. Originally I had the same track configuration and didn't have to concern myself about the channels.

Now Reaper pukes out new Reaper tracks for each MIDI channel - and new channels when I don't want them. Suddenly my bass track, for instance, is on two tracks, because a bunch of the notes in that ONE bas track are on several MIDI tracks.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

Could you upload or link to such a midi file for testing? I think that
Quote:
My MIDI files can have multitrack files where the note channels aren't specified (except for Channel 10). One track can therefore have multiple channels.
is the key to the issue.

With the few MIDI files I have here, the first selected track will be the first track used for the imported MIDI. But in all of mine 1 channel is always one track, so I am not in the same boat as you.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
jerryteacup

Alright. This case might as well be closed. I'll just have to go through the trouble of making sure I don't occupy more MIDI channels than I actually need for a track - bass track, for instance. Let's see if that solves the problem in the long run.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryteacup View Post
Alright, let's see (Now I also have the damn Media Explorer).

Just so you'll know, I'm not confusing MIDI channels and tracks. My MIDI files can have multitrack files where the note channels aren't specified (except for Channel 10). One track can therefore have multiple channels.

From Preferences -> Media -> MIDI I have "Import multichannel MIDI files: As single-channel items on multuple tracks."

I've selected the track and location I want the MIDI in, then gone to Menu Insert -> Media File.

I get the MIDI FIle Import popup and 3 checkboxes:

[ ] Expand ?? MIDI tracks to new REAPER tracks
[ ] Import MIDI tempo map to Project tempo map at **.*.***
[ ] Import MIDI markers as project markers

Now, regardless of what I put on the first checkbox, I get new Reaper tracks - just in a different configurations. Previously when I left that unchecked, the MIDI files were thrown into the existing tracks. Now it doesn't happen.

Using the Media Explorer doesn't change the outcome.

So, suddenly Reaper is now more interested in which channels the MIDI notes are on, creating more tracks than the MIDI file had, since it obviously uses more channels than tracks. This didn't happen before.

This issue becomes problematic because I sometimes have several songs in a row within the same Reaper file. Originally I had the same track configuration and didn't have to concern myself about the channels.

Now Reaper pukes out new Reaper tracks for each MIDI channel - and new channels when I don't want them. Suddenly my bass track, for instance, is on two tracks, because a bunch of the notes in that ONE bas track are on several MIDI tracks.
Same here
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=171790
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Misterbg3

Did anyone find a solution for this?
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote