Old 07-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
mtsproductions
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
thank god

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsproductions View Post
not very thank full are we? thanking the little "god" or just not sure which one???.... oops i think i just opened up a can...

Just making a joke jb dont aghh NOooo let go of my throat cough cough

What a coincidence huh
Old 07-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Jae.Thomas

again, present to me the god that cares about capital letters and i will spit on him
Old 07-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
bennisixx

present to me a god and I'll spit on him
Old 07-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Tedwood

Quote:
again, present to me the god that cares about capital letters and i will spit on him
Much the same as my belief that god doesn't care what you call him, he would be above all that.

You could call him Jehovah, Allah or Krishna and he would not mind, that may not be what the books say but if there is a god he would have a greater knowledge than the people that wrote the books
Old 07-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
Much the same as my belief that god doesn't care what you call him, he would be above all that.

You could call him Jehovah, Allah or Krishna and he would not mind, that may not be what the books say but if there is a god he would have a greater knowledge than the people that wrote the books
I'd think - if there is a god - he doesn't even care about someone getting down on his/her knees and pray.

Well, yes, a can of worms - and a thread that will probably evolve to a place of offends and insults again.

-Data
Old 07-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Since this topic has a lower case 'g' for 'god', clearly it isn't referring to the God I believe created the universe and cares for us more than anyone could imagine......

.......but most of you already know where I stand here so no need for me to elaborate any further at this point.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
Since this topic has a lower case 'g' for 'god', clearly it isn't referring to the God I believe created the universe and cares for us more than anyone could imagine......

.......but most of you already know where I stand here so no need for me to elaborate any further at this point.
Well Danni, I think "God" is the proper noun, and "god" is just a noun. I don't know any more about it than that.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post

he created the universe and yet he cares about capitalization in a word that isnt even a name, in a language created several hundred years after his alleged "holy texts" were written, several billion years after he created the universe?

pathetic.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
musicbynumbers

Show me evidence for us having souls and I'll show you evidence for a god that doesn't care about yours!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
musicbynumbers

anyway.. Lets get back to making music shall we!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
dazzathedrummer

......but its not even friday!!!!

Everyone has their own god, my god is music, some people choose the god that the Romans invented in the 6th century - each to their own.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
mtsproductions

Quote:
he created the universe and yet he cares about capitalization in a word that isnt even a name, in a language created several hundred years after his alleged "holy texts" were written, several billion years after he created the universe?

pathetic.
The absurdity of the whole statement "thank god" is comical,from someone who i dont even think bealives in a God, thats all I wanted to point out. And I would be careful about saying things like "spit on god" especially if you are not sure if there is one, statements like that send shivers down my spine but then again my bealifs are not very popular around here.
Sorry jason but most of the time you sound so smart or at least try to, at times you are pathetic in your great wisdom and knowledge ..
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
The absurdity of the whole statement "thank god" is comical,from someone who i dont even think bealives in a God, thats all I wanted to point out. And I would be careful about saying things like "spit on god" especially if you are not sure if there is one, statements like that send shivers down my spine but then again my bealifs are not very popular around here.
i never said i didnt believe in a god, or even bealive. and of course, just like saying "jesus on a stick!" it has become simply a saying. That's all.

i didnt say "spit on god"

please read again.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
mtsproductions

If there is no god or God why bother arguing? and have so much hatred towards someone who does not exist??
Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
Jae.Thomas

ill keep this simple:

you are projecting hatred. You have no basis for believing i hate. Which might explain your other beliefs. I don't know. I simply do not have enough information.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
mtsproductions

Quote:
ok i must be stupid then:

Lets make an observation is the word god present----- yes

is the word spit present ------------yes

is there an action -------------------yes (will)

a charecter who will do the spitting ---------- yes (I) (see the author of quote)
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #18
Jae.Thomas

you havent read what i said. Did you notice the conditions?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
mtsproductions

Simply a saying huh, so yelling "bomb" in an airport is simply "a saying"

Yes i am spewing hatred you can clearly see that in my posts...
Old 07-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
Jae.Thomas

you dont know the meaning of "projection" do you?

again, did you notice that my statement was conditional?

do you know what that means?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #21
mtsproductions

Quote:
you havent read what i said. Did you notice the conditions?
you are still missing the obvious, regardless of conditions even if there was a god that cared about the capital letters. words have different meanings and if you dont use the right ones to describe your statement than you might as well not talk at all.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #22
mtsproductions

Quote:
you dont know the meaning of "projection" do you?

again, did you notice that my statement was conditional?

do you know what that means?
Sorry, "spewing my hatred" unto you.

" one "projects" one's own undesirable thoughts, motivations, desires, and feelings onto someone else. It is a common process that every person uses to some degree"
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #23
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
you are still missing the obvious, regardless of conditions even if there was a god that cared about the capital letters. words have different meanings and if you dont use the right ones to describe your statement than you might as well not talk at all.
oh ok, so you read what i said. You are just being purposely obtuse.

that's fine, you coulda said that in the beginning.

you are projecting hatred unto me, when in fact, there is none here .
Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
mtsproductions

ok ill say that I am being purpously obtuse if you admit that you are being ignorant and as usual defending your statements rather then having a discussion .
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #25
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
ok ill say that I am being purpously obtuse if you admit that you are being ignorant and as usual defending your statements rather then having a discussion .
dear [sub]g[/sub]od if you want to have a discussion* that's fine, i didnt see one happening in the slightest however.

what would you like to discuss?

*attacks` are not discussions, fyi

`attacks may result in defenses

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 07-06-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
mtsproductions

If i remember correctly you were the one attacking

"Just making a joke jb dont aghh NOooo let go of my throat cough cough "

ONe more time the irony is just overwhelming

lets agreee to disagree actually i remeber explaining my self in an eralier post. I have read alot of arguments "discussions" between you and other users in the forum and the pattern does not change, i will leave it at that....

Didnt mean to offend or anything bro apologies if it seem that way...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #27
musicbynumbers

Default I 'll take the bite and offer salvation to anyone here..

..who still blindly (sorry I meant to say "faithfully") follow a classical religion here's my "current view" on religion and how we really need to overcome it to move forward.

There are various films that christians (and anyone other faiths) can watch to test their faith that you should try, when I was 19 (and a reborn christian) I was told to test my faith, I did and it simply did not stand up to logic and reason.

For me, The fact that the "one true god" scenario depends on where your born should really be a "thorn in the side" of anyone who values reason at all.

It is arrogant and ignorant beyond believe and really is nothing more than a historical "social club", a pack if you will.

There was nothing wrong with this when we lived in tribes and needed its protection but all it does now is allow these holy figures (and the people behind them) to spread their influence via the classic "I think what god meant to say was.." scenario.

It's so full of holes and if you really want to test your faith just study the similarities between pre christian (notice no capital there) and other much older and so much longer lasting religions. If you follow christianity through to it's logic conclusion, what makes it any different from the religions that preceded it, If man doesn't change I can see another one coming along around 2150 (next zodiac) to take christianity out.

I'm not saying there isn't something "amazing" out there just that it will probably far surpass are current theological and theoretical ideas.

For me the ignorance of religious leaders really shows when they use intelligent design as proof that god designed all life (including those nasty bugs that blind children) why stop at the obvious stuff like animated life, why don't they talk about how seemingly lifeless amino acids form the building blocks for life, that's a far greater place for evidence of intelligent design and far harder to dispute, I'll tell you why, because Religious leaders are about as smart as most politicians, it's the people behind them that you need to worry about.

The Anthropic principle is a scary thought which I think most humans can't handle (hence religion is still with us) but once you take everything into account it allows us to move forward free of dogma and without the subconscious undertone of "why bother, let god sort it all out".

Heaven on Earth remember
Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #28
Tedwood

Quote:
If i remember correctly you were the one attacking

"Just making a joke jb dont aghh NOooo let go of my throat cough cough "

ONe more time the irony is just overwhelming

lets agreee to disagree actually i remeber explaining my self in an eralier post. I have read alot of arguments "discussions" between you and other users in the forum and the pattern does not change, i will leave it at that....

Didnt mean to offend or anything bro apologies if it seem that way...
Not the way I am reading it

JBM may be a smart arse, but he din't say anything to invite an attack from you MT.

His posts seem very open and in good spirit to me. He is, I will grant you prone to insert remarks without telling you what he means by it, but if you take it as an attack then it is you that is being defensive (which is making you the angry one).

Seen it time and time again. The biblical believers get angry because they don't know what other people are talking about. That's why you need to clear your mind. Your God does not appear to clear your mind, all too often he seems to close it tight shut, my God, Allah, Krishna or Fred does not, mine helps me to see more clearly

Lot's of people have assumed I do not believe in god or God, but they have yet to explain what it is they think I do not believe in. Unlike JBM I will give you something to go on. I am very spiritual, I have a conception of what God means to me, the trouble is I don't think it's the same as anyone else's. I am no different in that respect than you are.

Until someone comes up with the definitive definition of the word "god" we are always in dispute, enter at your own peril.

Feel to free to attack or do anything you wish, I am sitting here with a compassionate smile on my face. If my "God" is not good enough for you why should yours be good enough for me?

Last edited by Tedwood; 07-06-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #29
DuraMorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
..who still blindly (sorry I meant to say "faithfully") follow a classical religion here's my "current view" on religion and how we really need to overcome it to move forward.
*snip*
Heaven on Earth remember
This is a beautiful post.

As an aside, have you (or anyone else) read 'The God Delusion', by Richard Dawkins?
It's an amazing book, and I recommend it to all my Christian friends who start doubting themselves.

I usually start by filling them in with something like this: here's a hint: you're doubting your beliefs FOR A REASON.

The reason? Well, it could be any number of things, but usually it's because of an overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary, coupled with the realization that your youthful indoctrination into your parents' religion of choice was entirely against your free will.
Some of them snap out of it; most of them don't. They're full of the Dark Side, and it consumes them.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #30
nightscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeT View Post
...it's Friday!!!
Only on the internet. How to go from a celebration of the weekend to a religious war in a few easy steps.

ns
Old 07-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #31
mtsproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
Not the way I am reading it

JBM may be a smart arse, but he din't say anything to invite an attack from you MT.

His posts seem very open and in good spirit to me. He is, I will grant you prone to insert remarks without telling you what he means by it, but if you take it as an attack then it is you that is being defensive (which is making you the angry one).

Seen it time and time again. The biblical believers get angry because they don't know what other people are talking about. That's why you need to clear your mind. Your God does not appear to clear your mind, all too often he seems to close it tight shut, my God, Allah, Krishna or Fred does not, mine helps me to see more clearly

Lot's of people have assumed I do not believe in god or God, but they have yet to explain what it is they think I do not believe in. Unlike JBM I will give you something to go on. I am very spiritual, I have a conception of what God means to me, the trouble is I don't think it's the same as anyone else's. I am no different in that respect than you are.

Until someone comes up with the definitive definition of the word "god" we are always in dispute, enter at your own peril.

Feel to free to attack or do anything you wish, I am sitting here with a compassionate smile on my face. If my "God" is not good enough for you why should yours be good enough for me?
Again this was not a debate about religion or which god is the right one and fine say that i am spewing hatred its always the same thing so I am used to it. I am not convincing anybody here and or trying to bealive in my God, yours can be anything you want I guess in your case tedwood its compassion, fine with me. I think you have to define spirituality and where that came from first.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #32
mtsproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraMorte View Post
This is a beautiful post.

As an aside, have you (or anyone else) read 'The God Delusion', by Richard Dawkins?
It's an amazing book, and I recommend it to all my Christian friends who start doubting themselves.

I usually start by filling them in with something like this: here's a hint: you're doubting your beliefs FOR A REASON.

The reason? Well, it could be any number of things, but usually it's because of an overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary, coupled with the realization that your youthful indoctrination into your parents' religion of choice was entirely against your free will.
Some of them snap out of it; most of them don't. They're full of the Dark Side, and it consumes them.
Sure I had my doubts and reasoning, but it all has been proven to me and still is every day of my life. And no I am not religious because that is just a bunch of rituals and I dont associate rituals with my bealiefs.

I have read snippets from that book and yes it is very well put together and interesting to read and if i get my hands on it i will read the whole thing, but why is it accepted by everyone if you talk about or encourage someone to read a book like that but when you talk about the Bible everyone just starts attacking you like you are a hater, there is so much politics within these discussions it makes me sick..

Anyway if you read that book then check out Ravi Zacharias and check out this book Richard Dawkins vs John Lennox The God Delusion Debate.

http://store.rzim.org/product/tabid/...on-debate.aspx
Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #33
DuraMorte

Quote:
Anyway if you read that book then check out Ravi Zacharias and check out this book Richard Dawkins vs John Lennox The God Delusion Debate.

Wanna know something funny?
I live in Birmingham. My old boss (a vehement atheist) went to that debate, and hated how poorly Dawkins was treated. He told me it wasn't as much a debate as Lennox attacking Dawkins' book and never giving him a chance to respond.
So no, I won't be checking out a book about an unfair 'debate'.

Edit: Also, there's no 'politics' in anything I say, ever. I get my point across, and that's it.

Last edited by DuraMorte; 07-06-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #34
Sound asleep

Quote:
Sure I had my doubts and reasoning, but it all has been proven to me and still is every day of my life. And no I am not religious because that is just a bunch of rituals and I dont associate rituals with my bealiefs.

I have read snippets from that book and yes it is very well put together and interesting to read and if i get my hands on it i will read the whole thing, but why is it accepted by everyone if you talk about or encourage someone to read a book like that but when you talk about the Bible everyone just starts attacking you like you are a hater, there is so much politics within these discussions it makes me sick..

it's because the bible is just stories and statements written by some guys a long time, that has been translated and edited a few times.

a book like Richard Dawkins' is thoughts and philosophies and logic and ideas and actual knowledge and stuff that sets about to prove something and share ideas. it's not just a bunch of random stories and just someone saying "god doesn't exist" it's actually proving stuff and backing up ideas and making logical arguments and stuff. the bible does not really do that. although it does in a way, to show why certain behaviours should be practiced, it often does that within stores it just states as factual, and just says a bunch of stuff without any kind of logic or anything.

let's put it this way. imagine i wrote the bible right now and there was no way you could use internet or anything like that to go and verify my story. let's say that i wrote the same exact thing, but replace all of the period references to current ones.

you would read this book and accept it as fact?

for me, i'm not interested in reading more books on the matter save historical references or history of the earth kind of stuff. i've come to know god doesn't exist. i'm certain of it. some people think that's impossible, but that's not true. a book like richard Dawkins' i guess is an attempt to show this to others. i haven't read it though so i don't know how effective it is at proving the case. i've been on God not existing for a while and been considering the implications of that for a while, because even though god doesn't exist, that guy Jesus did. there was never a son of God, but there was a guy named Jesus claiming to be one.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #35
Tedwood

Quote:
Again this was not a debate about religion or which god is the right one and fine say that i am spewing hatred its always the same thing so I am used to it. I am not convincing anybody here and or trying to bealive in my God, yours can be anything you want I guess in your case tedwood its compassion, fine with me. I think you have to define spirituality and where that came from first.
For me spirituality is not any doctrine, nor can it be found in a book, although one can be led that way. I believe it is to do with the search for wholeness, enlightenment and suchlike. It is not finding it. Every one is on a journey and the experience of that journey is the essence of spirituality, it is not the destination. If you are consumed with the desire of pleasure or avoiding pain you are so preoccupied you do not see your surroundings and what is really happening. You "experience" nothing meaningful

If there is a God, he is not hiding, but he can't be found, unless by the search within, and I am not sure about that. Needless to say I don't look anywhere else apart from what is there. Sometimes it eludes me, but I am sure the same is true for us all, unless we are saints

If you become fully enlightened by reading a book and I become fully enlightened by writing one we are essentially the same

Last edited by Tedwood; 07-06-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #36
Gerold Slama

O M g
Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #37
Lokasenna

Quote:
The absurdity of the whole statement "thank god" is comical,from someone who i dont even think bealives in a God, thats all I wanted to point out.
Do you know how much of our language, common phrases, metaphors, etc, are rooted in the Bible? Or, in this case, how long the phrases "Thank God!", "Jesus Christ!", and "For God's sake!" have been entrenched in our culture? Telling someone they can't say "thank God" simply due to a lack of belief would be like banning everyone from using Shakespeare references unless they've read all of his plays. Oh yeah, and Shakespeare is right behind the Bible in terms of phrase origins.

Quote:
And I would be careful about saying things like "spit on god" especially if you are not sure if there is one, statements like that send shivers down my spine but then again my bealifs are not very popular around here.
He specifically said "show me a god that cares about his name being capitalized, and I will spit on him". As JBM has said, the sentence is conditional, and in no way directed at any particular god you may believe in unless he fits that condition. Since the Bible and Quran are sadly a bit lax on grammar commandments, whether God/Jehovah/Allah gives a crap about g/G is left up to interpretation.

I should point out, though, that he never gives us an actual name for himself in the Old or New testaments - thus why the Jews have to fiddle around with guessing at it. "God" is a word, not a name, and certainly not his name. We're the ones who decided that it refers to one god in particular.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #38
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Do you know how much of our language, common phrases, metaphors, etc, are rooted in the Bible? Or, in this case, how long the phrases "Thank God!", "Jesus Christ!", and "For God's sake!" have been entrenched in our culture? Telling someone they can't say "thank God"
I think you missed holy shit.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #39
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
God damn you.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #40
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
lol, i was going to say that, except since there is no such thing as shit which is holy i figured i shouldn't say it.

or is there holy shit? if Jesus takes a shit is that shit holy? or maybe the pope can take holy shits.

you could come out with a new line of vegetables grown purely using holy shit fertilizer. so you'd have holy vegetables. and then you could feed those vegetables to the cows and get holy cows and swiss cheese. but then would their shits be holy? how many times could you transfer holiness before it runs out? are all bibles holy? how does the bible get its holiness? maybe if you write a bible using turd ink that would be holy shit. man, the possibilities are endless.

and what about holy moley? what the hell is a moley?

damn it i said hell. oh shit i said damn. this not saying anything holy business sucks.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 07-06-2010 at 06:56 PM.