COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-30-2017, 02:29 AM   #1
1eqinfinity
Human being with feelings

Default Xcode 6.0.1 & SDK 10.8

Could someone direct me how to set up Xcode 6.0.1 to build with SDK 10.8?
I've found SDK files on GitHub (https://github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs) and put them in /SDKs folder next to 10.5 and 10.6.
However, the folder strusture is different (printscreen: https://yadi.sk/i/Z9H_qQNB3MSmZL). I couldn't find the lacking stuff in Xcode 4 app package too.
The build of course fails ("app doesn't have any SDKs to build for My Mac") and there's no "x32" or "x64" near "My Mac" scheme.

I could use Xcode 4.2 but it yields errors for smart pointers, and I could use SDK 10.5 but I need some newer C++ things like <chrono>.

Sorry if the description is chaotic. It's just that I'm new to Mac, many things don't work from the start and I'm figuring out where'd be the right starting point to clear the error list

Last edited by 1eqinfinity; 08-30-2017 at 02:55 AM.
1eqinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:07 AM   #2
1eqinfinity

I set the SDK version to 10.9, and after building always get a failed assertion on line 432 of IGraphics.cpp, in the body of LoadBitmap() function
assert(imgResourceFound);
even though i have all the resources set in "Copy Bundle Resources" setting of Build Phases for all targets.
Same error with Xcode 5.1.1 and SDK 10.8.

Last edited by 1eqinfinity; 08-30-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
stw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eqinfinity View Post
I set the SDK version to 10.9, and after building always get a failed assertion on line 432 of IGraphics.cpp, in the body of LoadBitmap() function
even though i have all the resources set in "Copy Bundle Resources" setting of Build Phases for all targets.
Check if your bitmaps...

- are included in your project
- have all target memberships set
- have the right file path set in resource.h
- have unique IDs in resource.h
stw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
1eqinfinity

Yep, and the project builds fine on windows.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
earlevel

Quote:
On an error like that, your best bet is to step through with the debugger. Answer the question why imgResourceFound is zero. That comes from OSLoadBitmap, so you'll probably need to step through that.

BTW, I wanted to point out that you normally don't need to add other SDKs to Xcode. Not certain you are, but mentioning it for others. I did that in the beginning because I read other people doing it (Xcode 6.0 comes with 10.9 SDK, so add 10.8 SDK if you 10.8 support, etc.). Instead, the idea is to use the supplied SDK (latest/10.9) as the base, and 10.8 (or whatever) as the deployment target.

I figured that out long ago, but didn't want to make unnecessary changes till product shipped. But recently, I added AU/VST support, so took the opportunity to upgrade from Xcode 7 to Xcode 8 and use the latest/10.12 SDK as base, 10.8 as target. Works fine. The only real glitch I ran into was that the older VST3 SDK I had failed, and IPlug is (was? my fork is based on early 2016 idl/ol) incompatible with the latest VST3 SDK. I managed to find the previous VST3 SDK and was fine from there.
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
1eqinfinity

@Earlevel thanks for the info about SDK versions!

Yes, I finally am at peace with Xcode. More or less, cause I'm using v 5 in the end.
The error appeared in LoadImgFromResourceOSX().
pBundle was NULL because BUNDLE_MFR in resource.h had my name with space in between.

Last edited by 1eqinfinity; 08-30-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
MSK

Quote:
@Earlevel thanks for the info about SDK versions!

Yes, I finally am at peace with Xcode. More or less, cause I'm using v 5 in the end.
The error appeared in LoadImgFromResourceOSX().
pBundle was NULL because BUNDLE_MFR in resource.h had my name with space in between.
Gonna hop in with a question about this. Does anyone know if it's possible to have spaces in the manufacturer name (or whatever name shows up in the host)?
MSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
1eqinfinity

@MSK On Windows PLUG_MFR and BUNDLE_MFR can have spaces. On Mac my PLUG_MFR now has spaces and everything compiles and works. Idk if there are any hidden problems though. And I tried standalone, VST2 and AU formats only.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:41 AM   #9
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel View Post
The only real glitch I ran into was that the older VST3 SDK I had failed, and IPlug is (was? my fork is based on early 2016 idl/ol) incompatible with the latest VST3 SDK. I managed to find the previous VST3 SDK and was fine from there.
We should definitely update framework to support new VST3 SDK. I already done it for windows, now I am gonna try the mac.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
earlevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
We should definitely update framework to support new VST3 SDK. I already done it for windows, now I am gonna try the mac.
Great! Lots of changes in that SDK the past few iterations. It didn't look like too bad to fix IPlug, would have done it if I didn't come across the previous SDK right away.
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel View Post
Great! Lots of changes in that SDK the past few iterations. It didn't look like too bad to fix IPlug, would have done it if I didn't come across the previous SDK right away.
I have changed project to support new SDK. Plugins work nicely, but I am getting some warnings about overloading on mac. I will have to figure this out... Look at:
https://github.com/Youlean/IPlug-You...58c039ea1f5406

BTW, there is one file that I accidentally included in commit.