Old 01-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
jjcale_guitar
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper newbie questions

I've been using Reaper 6.18 (Linux) for a while now and there are two mysteries. One is that I see no "Routing" button on tracks. Only Mastertrack has one. That button seems very handy indeed.

The other mystery is that when watch for example Kenny Gioia's very nice videos on Y-tube, there is a function to edit audio files directly in the edit window. Like edit the audio curves.

So, what have I missed? Are there a configurations for these two in Reaper that I've missed? Or does this Linux version lack these two functions?
jjcale_guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
elcalen

There should be a 'route' button on every track, but it might be hidden in certain views. Like for me it's hidden in the track view if I have the mixer window open, but I don't remember it that's the default setting or not. You can change which elements are visible in the track and mixer panels by going to Options --> Themes --> Theme Adjuster.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by editing audio files here. There's lots of curves that can be edited in Reaper. Can you point out which video you're talking about? In my experience Kenny's usually extremely precise in his instructions...
elcalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
jjcale_guitar

I've seen him edit audio almost like you edit midi tracks. But of course editing the sound "curves" by select a part of a sound and either raize or lower the volume directly. (Not an envelope).

Found another video on that (ca 2 minutes in the clip):

https://youtu.be/_KQa5DkVjPU?t=125

(should be the right moment in the clip)

I don't seem to get that tool when hovering over the audio.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
elcalen

Ah, looks like we're talking about adjusting the volume of an individual audio item. It should work just by positioning the mouse pointer at the top edge of the item and dragging down from there with left mouse button. The mouse pointer should change when it's near the top of the item to indicate this. The pointer might not look exactly like in that video, that's probably OS dependant, but this should work just the same in Linux. (Make sure the mouse is not at the very beginning or end of the item, there it'll change into the fade-in/fade-out tool.)
elcalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
jjcale_guitar

Thx for the support! I've been blind. The routing button appeared with track layout "B". And the volume adjust arrow was there on audio track items, when I looked carefully.

At times there are overwhelming functions and options in Reaper!